still bloated and constipated on Day 21

I am on Day 21 and have experienced bloating and constipation since Day 1.  Before that, I didn't have any problems and had easy, multiple BM's a day. I am really hoping someone can offer some guidance because I'm feeling pretty discouraged and frustrated.

I have cut out eggs because they were making me nauseous, and were the only big change in diet prior to starting Whole30. Breakfast was VegaOne Chocolate protein powder smoothies with a healthy fat (avocado or coconut oil) and a handful of greens (no fruit) but I found I burped alot after eating the smoothie.

Here's a typical day:

BREAKFAST: half a compliant sausage, zucchini or sweet potato, spinach or kale cooked in ghee

LUNCH: chicken or turkey, avocado, greens of some sort (mostly cooked), EVOO, sometimes sweet potato/yam with ghee

DINNER: chicken or beef, cooked greens (kale/spinach), zucchini or broccoli with EVOO, sometimes sweet potato with ghee

I am rarely hungry. Snacking is not a problem.

I'm having at least one Kombucha (gingerade) a day, and taking probiotics. 

I drank some senna tea for a couple of nights but I am reticent to rely on any laxative.  I barely have any gas.  I look pregnant after eating anything and have stomach discomfort.  Please help!

How much water are you drinking? Are you doing any sort of physical activity? Any other supplements? Is the elimination of eggs really and truly the only change since starting your Whole30? You're not eating more vegetables before, or eating more greens, or eating less of other carbohydrate foods?

The recommendation for water is to take half of your body weight and drink that number of ounces per day. So, for someone who is 150lbs, that would be 75 ounces per day.

Magnesium will also help. You can do oral supplements, topical magnesium oil (spray), and/or epsom salt baths. Start with a lower dose and build up though or else you'll end up with diarrhea. Unlike senna or other stimulate laxatives, magnesium doesn't have the same risk of dependence. The way your body eliminates extra magnesium is through the bowel. When the magnesium enters the bowel, it brings water along with it which softens the stool.

If you're not already active, then start walking. Physical activity encourages bowel motility. Squats can also be helpful as the action/position of squatting straightens your colon and provides less resistance against fecal matter. As your upper body comes forward to maintain center of gravity, you also apply some gentle pressure to the upper portion of your colon which can help "push" things along.

Hi Munkers, thanks for your response.

I drink about 96 oz of water daily, walk constantly (I live in NYC) and strength train 3x a week.

I have been on amino acid supplements for depression since January, and they have greatly helped my symptoms and allowed me to go off prescription meds.

Prior to Whole30, I would have an occasional pizza or burger and was drinking wine regularly.  But the norm was salads/lean protein and greens/no gluten.  I was avoiding carbs/grains. After reading the forums, I tried adding in sweet potatoes and upping the fat in hopes of improving BM's.

Thanks for the magnesium tips.  That sounds like the safest option?  And yes, I've been implementing the squatting tips and yoga poses.

How do we know if we're eating enough?  I've noticed that in other posts.  But it's hard to eat when you already feel stuffed/backed up and don't feel hungry...

How do we know if we're eating enough?  I've noticed that in other posts.  But it's hard to eat when you already feel stuffed/backed up and don't feel hungry...

If you're following the minimums on the meal template and able to go 4-5 hours between meals then that's a good sign that you're eating enough. You can also look to your athletic performance. If you're not recoverying as well or not able to push like you used to, then that might be a sign that you need to look at tweaking your pre- and/or post-WO meals or even your 3 main meals.

HOWEVER, in your situation, the constipation is going to  muck up your hunger symptoms. One of the ways your body gets the signal that you're full is by the relative distention of your stomach and bowels. If you're constipated, your body is already getting the signal "I'm full!" and will often decrease your feelings of hunger in response. Your first goal here is to get things moving again. Once that's sorted then you'll have a clearer picture on whether or not your body is giving you "feed me!" signals.

This has been very helpful to read. I am in the same boat with constipation on day #25. 25!!! It's frustrating because I will sit down to eat dinner when hungry and 5 bites into it I feel full because I am so backed up. I don't think this is right, so I continue to eat my meal, but then afterwards I am stuffed! And I haven't eaten that much really, like tonight I had 1/2 cup homemade coconut milk chicken salad with 1/2 cup tomato/cucumber/avocado salad over lettuce--and I was stuffed! I have recently cut out nuts and fruits, I am very active, I drink lots of water, I get enough sleep, I eat sauerkraut. I don't know what to do, besides start taking magnesium. I have done another whole30 before and was extremely regular, but during this one, if I have a BM every 2-3 days I am doing good. It's not fun, and kind of discouraging. It's hard to listen to your hunger cues, and learn to trust them, when your body is confused due to constipation.

I am having similar problems. The worst part of my day is the morning. I feel sluggish after I eat. My 1/2 bran flakes and 1/2 cup milk kept me regular. I am not a big breakfast eater and I'm so sick of eggs...it doesn't matter how I fix them. My stomach won't handle a bunch of food in the morning anyway sothe idea of sausage or bacon or vegetables is yukky. I eat 3 small servings of fruit per day, a salad at lunch and typically fish and vegetables for dinner. 

I do high intensity exercise 4 x per week and weigh 113; Magnesium helps sometimes and sometimes not. If I take to large a dose, I have the opposite problem.  I drink water but can't drink gallons of it because I have low sodium levels and the water dilutes the levels even more. 

You could be sensitive to the fructose in the fruit you are eating - the recommendation is for a max of 2 servings per day, with or as part of your meal. Are you having the fruit on it's own for meal one? If so you really need to build your meals to the template for optimum results - 1-2 plam sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, 1-2 thumb sized pieces of fat.

Try to start thinking of breakfast as meal one and you'll soon learn that you can eat anything in the morning that you'd eat at any other time of the day - it really doesn't have to be eggs. Things that might be gentle on the stomach in the morning would be maybe a vegetable soup with some added protein - puree it if the thought of actual vegetables is not appealing... Maybe a chicken korma, or a spiced coconut chowder.

It's difficult to tell with the way you have listed your foods but it sounds like maybe you're not eating enough in general.

Archived