What beverages can I have?

Lindsay Pietroluongo

yes yes and yes, assuming you checked the label for anything off-plan. soy lecithin is a common one, stevia another likely suspect so avoid those, but yes there are lots of teas that work.

you can also drink coffee (some people add coconut milk for a latte-sort of option).

Well if you are looking for a flavour - you can add fruit to your water. Lemons, limes, peaches, strawberries, cucumber, mint etc. These are all good options as well.

I also drink Kombucha which is a specially brewed and slightly fermented tea that is vaguely sweet. It has a bit of sparkle in it so it's great for those who had pop addictions. If you try it for the first time it may remind you vaguely of drinking vinegar. But it something that tastes sweeter as your taste buds adjust.

I just had a bottle of coconut water today from Nirvana and I looked at the ingeredients and it said 100% natural coconut water so I thought it was legit...

Coconut water has 1.3 grams of sugar per oz. That's pretty high. Almost as high as Gatorade. What does your brand say as far as carbs and sugars on the nutrition stats?

An occasional bottle of coconut water (given that there are no off-plan ingredients) is fine for someone participating in continuous strenuous activity, but like other posters have said, it's a bit like juice and we don't want you to make it a habit to drink that instead of water. Not a reason to start over, but not a habit to build either :0)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all - I'm looking for suggestions on the coconut milk/coffee attempt. I bought a can last week to use (this is my first week) and mistakenly refrigerated it right away before opening, thinking it's be ready to go on my Day 1, first coffee. However, I went to open the can and it was hard! Throug the forum, I've learned that is normal but I certainly didn't get it at that point haha. Now, I have another can, but it says to refrigerate after opening, so the one cup of coffee will work, but then it'll solidify again, right?. What do you all do? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!

MissMary, thank you for the coconut milk in coffee suggestion! Def. will take the bite out of drinking it black! I hadn't even thought of that.

Hi Lindsay.... You might be interested in trying this for your coffee. That is what I use and it is really good.

Primal Non-Dairy Coconut “Crack†Creamer

img_8478.jpg?w=490&h=367

Courtesy of Margot and Patty, at http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

Ingredients:

• 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk (room temperature)
  • 1 Large Egg (room temperature)
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 TB Coconut Oil
  • Pinch Nutmeg
  • Good amount of Cinnamon icon_smile.gif?m=1129645325g

Dump everything except the Coconut oil in a bowl.

Whip with an electric mixer.

Melt Coconut Oil in Microwave, about 10 seconds.

Slowly drizzle oil into mixture and beat, mixing until emulsified.

Well that was really difficult.

I dumped the concoction in a plastic container with a tight lid and tossed it in the fridge overnight.

Today I opened up that container to find a thick, off-white creamer. The consistency is thicker than I expected, but it is light and airy. When it's dropped into coffee it disintegrates almost immediately. And 2 TB turns the coffee a milk chocolate color, much darker than 2 TB of heavy cream would. At first, this was off-putting. I wanted to add more and bring it to the color I know and love. But then I tasted it.

I was in Heaven.

Hope you like it. And it last a long time.

If you use organic eggs you don't have to worry about using a raw egg.

The original recipe called for Stevia.

But since we are on Whole 30 and sweeteners are not allowed I leave it out.

In the US you can get powdered vanilla beans here

http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1001607

Kevin Gianni also sells it on his website but he's out of it just now.

In the UK I get it here

http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=58e50958dd14eca88a4be4d6d7d31f16&keyword=vanilla+powder

If you do a google search for 'raw food stockists', you'll find that a lot of them carry it

Hi - I'm struggling with black coffee and can't stand coconut milk or almond milk in my drink. I found this recipe on a Paleo website - is it compliant?

Ingredients

• 1 Can full fat coconut milk
  • 3-4 Medjol Dates ( Pits removed) more if you want it sweeter
  • 1 T. Vanilla beans scrapings

Cooking Steps

Optional Add-Ins:

-Cinnamon

-Pumpkin Pie Spice

-Orange Zest

-Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1. Add the dates, vanilla bean seeds/scrapings plus 1T. hot water to a blender and puree until smooth(ish).

2. Add 1/4 of the can of coconut milk and blend until smooth (it's near impossible to create a completely smooth puree, so just be ok with the speckles of date).

3. Add the remaining 3/4 can of coconut milk and blend.

4. Transfer mixture to a container and transfer to the fridge until ready to use.

Once refrigerated, the mixture will set to a whip cream-like consistency. Use as creamer or a topping for sliced berries.

It is, technically, compliant. But it reeeeeeally dances the SWYPO line because of the dates. Here's the thing: A lot of folks don't actually like coffee. They like sweet, creamy caffeine. And, on this program, we really like you to focus on how foods (and beverages) actually taste without sweetening them up to make them palatable (ie: foods with no brakes). So, I'd say, if you drink one cup of coffee a day and you add this...you're probably ok. But if you don't actually like coffee and this is just another way to facilitate your sweet caffeine addiction, then cut it out.

Thanks, Robin. I'm definitely one of those people who go for 'sweet, creamy caffeine' and have valiantly been drinking my coffees black for the 10 days I've been on Whole30 so far. However, I haven't really liked it. I have 2 coffees a day - one in early AM and one at noon. What I'd like to do is add the creamer to the 1st coffee and drink the 2nd one black. I can't see the problem with dates, at least the little bit that would be involved in one serving of this 'creamer'. Another thing I wanted to check was something new I've discovered called 'Yonannas'. It's a machine that takes frozen fruit (with banannas as the base) and somehow shmushes it all up, resulting in a very yummy ice cream-like treat. I know it's better to just eat plain fruit, but this is really delicious and has no additives at all. I was hoping to be able to have this once or twice a week. OK, you can hear that I am an arch sweet toother, but it's been such a big step for me to give up my sweets, including Xylitol. I'm not going to go in the direction of Paleo brownies (yum!) etc during the Whole 30, but I can't see what the problem would be to have a bit of Yonannas 'ice cream' a few times a week. Advice?

Archived