What beverages can I have?

Lindsay Pietroluongo

The problem with the dates, and the yonanas, is that they're vessels for feeding your sugar dragon. Humans like sweet things, it's natural and unavoidable. And, there's nothing wrong with liking sweet tastes. The problem is, we will go out of our way to consume sweet things and often consume them preferentially over savory tastes. The thing is, sweet things tend to be less nutritious than savory things. Back in the day when sweet things were an occasional find, that was fine because our diets still consisted of 98% nutritious and savory. But now, we have all manners of sweet available to us from all over the world every day of our lives. And most of us have become conditioned to unnaturally sweet foods to the point of habit - even addiction. We want you to recondition yourself to the natural taste and (for lack of a better word) make-up of the foods you're eating. Break that need for a food-based reward. Eat some bananas, if you like them. Freeze them if you need something cold. But don't smoosh them around to try to make them into ice cream because we all know that ice cream is an unhealthy food habit.

Does that make sense?

Yes, it does and I do understand. Last week I had the 'yonannas' just once and the coco creamer twice. I was afraid it would lead to an everyday addiction, but somehow I managed to limit them to just the weekend. Maybe because I'm so busy during the week, who knows? I think if I can look forward to an occasional treat, it will help me. However, if it becomes out of control, then I have a problem. For example, I know better than to make paleo brownies - there is no way I could limit them. I'll try the once a week system again this week - I think it could be a good way to bring 'kosher' treats into a permanent way of eating, without having to indulge constantly. What do you think?

Also - I am confused about Ghee. I thought dairy was out, yet many on these threads use Ghee in their cooking. Is it compliant with the Whole30? (ps day 11 now and going strong!!)

Last week I had the 'yonannas' just once and the coco creamer twice...I think if I can look forward to an occasional treat, it will help me...I'll try the once a week system again this week - I think it could be a good way to bring 'kosher' treats into a permanent way of eating, without having to indulge constantly. What do you think?

Rosie, I'm sorry, but I feel like you are missing something pretty important here: while the idea of a "once-a-week treat" may be just fine outside of your whole30, but during the whole30 we avoid sweet treats altogether. Going for 30 days without isn't easy, but it is worth it, and will teach you a lot about the effects sugars have on your body (even those from dates and frozen bananas). #SWYPO.

Yes, MissMary, I think I'm beginning to get it, finally. I hope that I can continue without these temptations and just think of them for post-whole30. So far I have been drinking my coffee black (blech) and not using the yonannas. But at least the idea of those treats, knowing that I can have them without challenging Paleo, is comforting.

Don't worry though, it passes and you'll be so glad afterwards! I was a major sugar addict before I started my Whole30 23 days ago and always needed something sweet for breakfast! In my head I reasoned that if I had all my sugary carbs in the morning I would have all day to use/burn them. Silly.

I now crave my crockpot chicken curry and chocolate chili for breakfast with acorn squash or pumpkin! How fast things change when you limit your sugar intake. It will come and it will be freeing :)

Is kombucha okay for the Whole30? I make my own so that it's basically a continuous brew and I can get the good SCOBY stuff, since I don't like yogurt much. However, every version of kombucha is made with black tea and white sugar (basically fermented sweet tea). And tibicos (the fruit juice version of kombucha) is made with brown sugar. If sugar is out, then technically kombucha would be, too, yes?

As for the shirataki noodles, here's what Tom Denham, one of the mods said earlier

"The Whole30 invites us to embrace nutrient-dense eating. It seems as if Shirataki noodles are the opposite of nutrient dense. Make some noodles by peeling zucchini squash with a julienne peeler and get some nutrition with your noodles instead."

Hope that helps

• 2 months later...

Since I have a hard time limiting coffee, I decided to cut it out this time around. Now I have over 15 teas on my shelf. It's amazing what variety can do to your sense of freedom within a Whole30; every morning is a new tea adventure! It only took a couple weeks to change my taste. I tried to have a cup of coffee one weekend and it just didn't taste as good as my jasmine green tea or fancy oolong bought from a local tea shop. In the evening I have this Private Selection brand (from Kroger or Ralph's) Cinnamon Hibiscus herbal tea. So comforting and no soy lecithin!

Archived