Autoimmune food considerations

Hello! I haven't started my first Whole30 yet. I'm still reading "It Starts With Food" and I've gotten to the part about additional food considerations for those with autoimmune disease. I have Graves Disease, so I'm trying to plan how to eliminate these additional foods successfully. (Giving up tomatoes will be the biggest difficulty, since I have a garden full of them!)

My specific question today is about nuts and seeds. I just want to clarify, do coconut milk/butter/oil count as nuts to be avoided with an autoimmune disease?

• Administrators

Although you know that you have an AI condition, we would still recommend that you do a standard Whole30 first as, by design, it is an anti-inflammatory program.  Then, once you are done your Whole30 (or a couple of them), if you think there are still improvements to be made, you investigate the AIP.  

That said, here's the AIP shopping list and it does still allow coconut products.  Your mileage may vary though as coconut products are known to be hard on some people.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-AIP.pdf

For autoimmune purposes, coconut and coconut products do not fall into the nut and seed category. However, some folks are sensitive to coconut specifically and choose to eliminate it.

As someone who has done AIP in the past (but not a Whole30 AIP--I did incorporate some sweeteners), I firmly support the recommendation to start off with just a basic Whole30. I had a successful Whole30, lots of kitchen experience, and years of paleo/primal-style eating under my belt before I started AIP and it is still SO. FREAKING. HARD. You will not eat out. Ever. You will prep, or supervise the prep, of every bite of food that goes into your mouth. You'll clear out half of your spice cabinent because SO many spices actually come from seeds or nightshades (cumin, mustard, cayenne, paprika, nutmeg, fennel, curry, and the list goes on). And for some people, this is all necessary to help them heal, but there are also a lot of people who have really great improvements in their health on the basic Whole30.

I am on AIP and total agree with ladshanny and Munkers.  If you are new to this, do a regular Whole30 first.  AIP is so much more restrictive, I don't think I could do it if I hadn't already completed some regular Whole30s first.  It's like getting your toes wet before diving in!  And you may find that you don't need to follow an autoimmune diet, or eliminate everything that autoimmune eliminates.

I did AIP W30 (and also Low FODMAP!) the first time, but I had already been grain free and eating fairly clean for a year. I also have an AI Thyroid condition (hashi's) and Chrohn's and some other AI issues. I don't find that seeds or nuts bother me, but nightshades for sure, especially pepper.

Archived