Frustrated with my Doctor

melc390

I have been seeing a Naturopathic physician for a little over 2 months and I really like her......well until yesterday. My first appointment with her we went over all of my issues and symptoms and I went to get lab work. The lab work came back with a few issues for me to work on. She gave me 5 different supplements and sent me on my way. After the first month I had very little improvement, I was already planning to do a whole30 in July but I didn't mention it to her at the time. So I had an appointment yesterday ( I was on day 20) so I told her about it and told her I was already seeing improvement in my skin, sleep and mood. She asked about weight loss and I told her I am not weighing myself right now but my jeans fit better. She seemed pleased but then told me she wants me to add back in oats and quinoa (for bulk??). I was a little annoyed, if everything seems to be headed in the right direction why should I add them in now? After a little bit of an argument I told her I would add them back, I just didn't tell her I would be waiting until after the 30 days. Sorry for the long explanation but I thought if any one would understand it would be her!

• Administrators

Did you happen to suggest to her you were having trouble with digestive issues/pooping? I'm wondering if she thought the oats & quinoa would help with bowel movements?

Remember that you are an adult and that you hired her....so you dictate what you will and will not do.  :)

I have a 'medical' doctor and a naturo.  The naturo office has a Paleo cookbook with peanutbutter fudge and all kinds of SWYPO.    They want me to buy it and follow it.   I'm not going to.   It has grains and protein drinks, too.   Just smile and do what you want to.   They don't have to live in my body and their plan is more along the lines of Imaginary Paleo.   All kinds of Paleo and only one W30.   

• Moderators

People can be helpful along the way, but you are your own best healer.

Good for you for staying committed to the W30 and paying attention to what your body tells you. Sounds like you're absolutely on the right path!

Did you happen to suggest to her you were having trouble with digestive issues/pooping? I'm wondering if she thought the oats & quinoa would help with bowel movements?

Remember that you are an adult and that you hired her....so you dictate what you will and will not do.   :)

Yes digestive issues were on the list on my original complaints, however I did tell her that things were starting to move along quite nicely ;)

• Administrators

Perhaps she was somewhat startled that one of her patients created their own success and improvement and, feeling as though she was the expert in the room, felt she should say "something" so she locked onto the oats/quinoa for bulk thing for lack of anything else to say. That's what I'm going to assume. ;)

Yikes. Don't do what you don't feel comfortable with. When I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in January of this year, my PCP told me  to go on the South Beach Diet!! I literally just nodded and started a whole100 in May. I mean, really?

I now see a D.O. Endocrinologist and she's MUCH better.

If you don't want to add them back, Don't!

When I told my Endo I was going to do Paleo, he kinda looked at me like I had lost my mind and suggested a brand of smoothies that I should follow -- yea ok. That was back in '09. Fast forward to 2012-- told him I was dropping grains, dairy, beans and soy *cough Whole30 cough* and he thought that was great and I have stuck with it, with a few short off roads trips since and I have lost weight and had my insulin reduced. Just smile, nod and Whole30 on. 

• 4 weeks later...

As a doctor, I can assure you that so many don't even know what Whole30 is!  I had not heard of it until last year when a friend from college did it an posted on Facebook!  So if they don't seem to know what it is or do not respond well to it, try to use it as an opportunity to tell them a little about it and maybe they will look into it more!  Also, while doctors really should know a thing or 2 about nutrition and diets to suggest to patients, we do not get a lot of training in school about it.  Luckily for my patients (not really for me), I have tried way too many diets so have lots of info to share that a lot of people who have not had that experience would. 

But I say the more you tell your doctors what you are doing and what is making you feel great, the more opportunities you have to impact another patient's life!

Archived