Pre-Post Workout...3 Meals....Confused

Cajun Gypsy

My understanding is that the Pre & Post workout meals are in addition to the three daily meals. Can my Post workout meal just be my dinner? My "workout" would be around 7:30-9 pm. 

My thoughts - fat/protein snack around 6:30, workout, dinner at 9ish. Following the regular meal template, but with a carb (sweet potato, butternut squash) in addition to normal veggies. 

The idea of the postWO meal is to replace the muscle glycogen stores. By eating fat your body's ability to absorb the prtein will be inhibited. The recommendation would be to eat a small amount of lean protein immediately upon finishing your session, then shower/change etc & then eat your meal three.

You could forgo the preWO by ensuring your M2 is large enough to sustain you through your WO by adding additional fat & protein.

• Moderators

I sometimes eat regular meals and not a post-workout meal, but such a choice steals part of your recovery potential because your muscles respond better to a real post-workout meal than they do to a regular meal. If I am really committed to my workouts, it is silly to skip a post-workout meal, but I do sometimes. 

Archived