Why is any kind of pork product ok?

After going through breast cancer,you can bet I've done a ton of research on nutrition. I love most everything I'm reading about the Whole 30,but SHOCKED that the founders are ok w/pork of any kind,& so heavy on meat. The China Study & The Blue Zones clearly show that the healthiest of all cultures are primarily vegetarian & would certainly never eat bacon! Why is this ok?

Much of this is detailed in It Starts With Food.

To give you an idea of some of the philosophy, here are some relevant Whole30 articles:

http://whole9life.com/2010/10/omnivore/

http://whole9life.com/2014/01/conscientious-omnivore-witness-slaughter/

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/the-conscientious-omnivore-pork/

http://whole30.com/2012/03/bacon/

Wow, four posts.  Such polite restraint.  We all get bacon tonight.

Thanks for sharing what you've read, Julie.

Check out Denise Minger's thoughts about T. Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn's work.  Her later book, Death by Food Pyramid is a tangent from her re-analysis of the China Study dataset and review of health in Beijing since people moved from the field to the cubicle. 

If you find that productive reading, sit with William Davis a bit in Wheat Belly and Wheat Belly Total Health.

Or just take a look at ISWF, it hits every point squarely and is one reason we've become a community here.  Welcome!

Hi folks,

I lived in the PRC (People's Republic of China) for four years (2009-2013). Finding ANYTHING vegetarian was impossible; folks acted like I was a crazy American for asking. I also could ONLY get pork and fish in the wet markets. I tried to find beef broth, using my not terrible Mandarin at a Carrefour (European supermarket), and finally, a clerk happily told me in Chinese that she finally understood what I wanted, and handed me concentrated HAM broth.

The word for"meat" is the same word as the word for pork. Nuff said?

Since we are on the topic of Pork... I found some pork neckbones in my freezer.  Normally I use a tamarind soup base but I just looked and it has vegetable oil and other ingredient that I can't even pronounce. Any suggestions on how I can cook this and be Whole30 compliant?  

• Administrators

Use them to make bone broth!  Throw in a crock pot with some S&P, a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar, herbs of choice, onion, carrot, veggie trimmings, a bulb of fennel and cover the whole thing with water.  Leave it to cook on low for 12-24 hours and then strain and you should have gorgeous bone broth.  (depending on how many neck bones you have, mind you.  If you only have one or two you'd need to add more bones like those from a roasted chicken or some pigs feet from your butcher).

Use them to make bone broth!  Throw in a crock pot with some S&P, a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar, herbs of choice, onion, carrot, veggie trimmings, a bulb of fennel and cover the whole thing with water.  Leave it to cook on low for 12-24 hours and then strain and you should have gorgeous bone broth.  (depending on how many neck bones you have, mind you.  If you only have one or two you'd need to add more bones like those from a roasted chicken or some pigs feet from your butcher).

That's a fantastic suggestion!  I've only got 1.37lbs of it so I will grab another package when I go to the store today to get the rest of the ingredients.  I can eat this just like soup tomorrow and have it cooking all night.  

• Moderators

Ideally you would make broth from properly raised animals, as they have the best nutrient profile.  if you only have access to conventionally raised animals, that's okay, bone broth is better than no bone broth, just make sure you cool your broth before consuming and then lift the congealed fat off and discard.  Many of the undesirable elements of conventionally raised animals is stored in the fat.   

Ideally you would make broth from properly raised animals, as they have the best nutrient profile.  if you only have access to conventionally raised animals, that's okay, bone broth is better than no bone broth, just make sure you cool your broth before consuming and then lift the congealed fat off and discard.  Many of the undesirable elements of conventionally raised animals is stored in the fat.   

Noted.  Should I boil the neckbones first in pot and water then lift the congealed fat before I throw it in the crockpot with other ingredients or throw everything in the crockpot and just skim the fat after it's cooled off?

Archived