Anxiety/panic attack?? or sugar withdrawal

Today is day 3 of my whole30.  Everything has been just fine and great.  But after breakfast today on my drive in to work, I felt like all of my muscles were weak.  My mind was clear, but my body felt weak and anxious.  I had not had any coffee either. 

Once I got to work, I started feeling really woozy and even lost my vision for a minute. The spell lasted about 45 minutes.  I started chugging water in an effort to regain my composure. I am 24w pregnant also.  Is this what sugar detox is like??    Or am I dehydrated?  Or worse?  My heart rate was 92, which is high as its generally around 60.

For breakfast (because I know that question is coming) - 1 cup homestyle fried red potatoes and onions fried in coconut oil and ghee, 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, and 3 strips of bacon and a glass of coconut water (I keep having calf cramps at night)

For dinner last night - 1/4 lb grassfed burger fried in coconut oil, fried egg on top, 1/2 large avocado, 1 cup of mixed greens, 1 cup of steamed broccoli, and 1 cup of oven roasted sweet potatoes.  (the most satisfying meal yet)

I haven't been hungry between meals, and I've been sleeping a full 8 hours a night.  Help! 

I am feeling better now (~1.5 hours after the spell passed).  But I do feel hungry now.

Are you salting your meals? When you switch to a whole foods based diet like the Whole30, your sodium consumption automatically goes down. Processed foods are LOADED with sodium, but natural foods, not so much. So everyone doing a Whole30 needs to be mindful about salt and you'll need to be doubly mindful since you're pregnant. Your blood volume is going to continue to increase as your pregnancy progresses and all that extra fluid and blood is going to need salt in order to maintain, among other things, your blood pressure.

Also, since you're pregnant, you may need to up your eating to four template meals per day to make sure you're getting sufficient nutrition to support your pregnancy.

You might want consider leaving your starchy veg until later in the day, switch the coconut water for a magnesium supplement & also look at ensuring you're getting enough potassium to help with those cramps. The starch in the potatoes & the naturally occuring sugars in the coconut water may have impacted your blood sugar levels taken first thing in the morning having fasted overnight.

Experiment with other starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, turnips, butternut squash, pumpkin, parsnips, beets, etc. Your personal body chemistry might prefer the particular mix in one variety over the others.

Archived