Start date Aug 1

Mary2244

I'm in too! Sat Aug 1, Day 1. I don't have a cookbook...do I need one or are there other online resources? What all are you planning for week 1? I found some simple food lists to get started with. I don't mind monotony...until it gets boring, ;-)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'm in too! Sat Aug 1, Day 1. I don't have a cookbook...do I need one or are there other online resources? What all are you planning for week 1? I found some simple food lists to get started with. I don't mind monotony...until it gets boring, ;-)

You don't need a cookbook, there are a ton of recipes online you can try, or you can keep it simple with meat and eggs, tons of vegetables, healthy fats, and a little fruit.

Most of the main Whole30 resources are linked in my signature below, and for others, check out the Whole30 section up there at the top of the page -- be sure you know the rules, and study the meal template, or even print it out and put it on the fridge if you need to -- following it will get you the best possible results.

For recipes, Whole Life Eating is from one of the other moderators here, it's all 100% Whole30 compliant recipes. The Clothes Make The Girl has many Whole30 compliant recipes, as well as lots of tips in her Paleo101 section for meal planning and prep. Nom Nom Paleo has a lot of Whole30 recipes too. There are other sites as well, but there's plenty there to get you started. 

I'm also starting on August 1! Are any of you planning to Instagram your Whole 30 food log? I am and would love to follow some others who are doing the same! (Also, if you are blogging your experience, share your blog links because I would love to follow along with you in that way too!)

For those who have successfully completed a Whole 30, what your favorite quick snacks? Quick meals? 

I have the Well Fed and Well Fed 2 cookbooks. Nom Nom Paleo arrives tomorrow

I planned out the meals I'm going to make from Well Fed 2 for the next week and made my shopping list. My bill without the meat was a little over $100. I am thinking I'll only buy a couple of days worth of meat at a time. I'm one of "those" people who freak out over food being in the refrigerator too long. :) I know I'll have plenty of leftovers with all of the cooking I'll be doing.

I'm looking forward to this first week. I am going to work from home next week AND my husband is going to be out of state Wednesday through Sunday. 

The only thing that concerns me is that I can only eat about a cup of food in one sitting. I had a sleeve three years ago, so 85% of my stomach was removed. I've lost 162 pounds and have only gained back 10 pounds. I'm working at getting those darn pounds off again. Anyhow, I'm thinking that I'll probably have to eat 5 smaller meals that follow the meal template. So I'll consume the total of the 3 meals, just through 5 meals.

My reason for doing the Whole30 is to see if any foods or additives I currently eat cause flare ups with my rheumatoid arthritis and lower back pain. 

I'm READY!  Well, I'm nervous too - just because it is something different. 

I also just signed up for the $14.95 daily newsletter.

I see there are other starting August 1 threads. Do the moderators ever combine them?

No we don't. We've found that each group cultivates its own groove and chemistry, plus combining threads would make them challenging to keep up with and follow.

My house is as cleaned out as it is going to get. I take care of my mom and she loves her snack food. Good thing is this is all about me. I have started cleaning up my diet so hopefully the first fwe weeks wil not kick my butt. I am excited for Saturday!

For those who have successfully completed a Whole 30, what your favorite quick snacks? Quick meals? 

When I run out of prepped food, two of my quick go-to meals are:

1. The Protein salad -  you can change it up to Greek, Asian, Summer--I'm excited to try the Fall version (p 161 in the Whole30 book).

2. Ground Beef (or whatever flavor protein you choose) over lots of spinach. Add tomatoes, guacamole (p 308 and my lifesaver over the 30 days), and some chimichurri sauce (p 306).

I'm starting another round of Whole30 August 1st as well. I did my first Jan of this year. I rocked it; however, I let myself get back into bad habits and feel like I'm worse then when I started. So, it's time to clean up again! Super excited, going grocery shopping today. I found it so helpful my last round to meal plan and cook for the week during the weekend. I didn't always like it when doing it, but I sure did appreciate it during the week when I was less than enthused by cooking. :D

Hi from Barrie, Ontario, Canada!

I'm starting tomorrow as well...semi started a week or so ago by making some changes..but full in Aug. 1....Generally (when I'm on track and focused) I eat pretty healthy so hoping this wont be such a shock to my system..but am looking forward to my system getting cleaner and seeing what other benefits I gain. I cut out wheat and alcohol a week ago and already can see the bloat has decreased substantially...looking forward to the Whole30!

s.

I'm in for the 1st also...feeling sluggish and lazy and fat! this will be my 2nd whole 30...I did so well and then old habits  snuck right back in on me....My goal is all of august and then we'll see...happy to see all you people on board...I also hope to challenge myself with some new tastes and cooking this round.

Shoot. Reading this string made me look at my ibuprofen. I took 4 yesterday. I didn't know it has corn starch and lactose! I'm on day 4 and was going to follow you all since you are close to my start date. I can't decide if this means I should start my count over, or if that makes me obsessive. I've been otherwise perfect! (well, eating-wise  ;) ) Thoughts?

So....I'm probably going to ask this alot if you all aren't inclined to offer it...but I'm very interested in what you are eating each day. 

Just know you have an appreciative audience even if all you have to say is, "I had a hard boiled egg."

:)

Shoot. Reading this string made me look at my ibuprofen. I took 4 yesterday. I didn't know it has corn starch and lactose! I'm on day 4 and was going to follow you all since you are close to my start date. I can't decide if this means I should start my count over, or if that makes me obsessive. I've been otherwise perfect! (well, eating-wise  ;) ) Thoughts?

Read this: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27263-corn-starch-in-medicine-ok/

And this: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

... and then decide what to do.

I'm in for the 1st also...feeling sluggish and lazy and fat! this will be my 2nd whole 30...I did so well and then old habits  snuck right back in on me....My goal is all of august and then we'll see...happy to see all you people on board...I also hope to challenge myself with some new tastes and cooking this round.

I feel exactly the same way.  Too much summer drinking and ridiculous eating.  I need to make changes in my life and I feel the whole30 relies on real food and common sense.

When I run out of prepped food, two of my quick go-to meals are:

1. The Protein salad -  you can change it up to Greek, Asian, Summer--I'm excited to try the Fall version (p 161 in the Whole30 book).

2. Ground Beef (or whatever flavor protein you choose) over lots of spinach. Add tomatoes, guacamole (p 308 and my lifesaver over the 30 days), and some chimichurri sauce (p 306).

Those recipes sound amazing, I will definitely try...

I'm starting my first Whole 30 on August 1st too. It's almost here. I'm excited to have a lot of company on this journey. Is anyone subscribing to the daily newsletter? I have both books so don't know if that offers anything new. Good luck to every one!!

I bought the Whole30 book which is really great.  Many recipes and a lot of good advice.  I also bought the newsletter which I'm looking forward to receiving every day.

I'm starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow. I'm really glad to have a support system here through the process - looking forward to taking this on with y'all! I have many friends who've done this and loved the results. My sweet tooth is out of control, so I'm hoping to overcome my addiction to sugar. I was also recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, so I'm hoping this lifestyle change will make a positive impact on my symptoms. Just spent the last few hours prepping - let's do this!

Jump off is tomorrow just ended a two year practicum today (doing a *little celebrating tonight*) and looking forward to waking up tomorrow to a nice cup of delicious black coffee and Whole30 compliant breakfast!

I'm also committing to 30 days of mind & body de-junking and using this time to get some type of daily reflective practice established. :rolleyes:

Buena suerte to all!

- relámpago 

Archived