Start date Aug 1

Mary2244

This is fine for a one-off, but it's very 'desserty' and with desserts being off limits during your Whole30 we really don't want anyone making a habit of this kind of thing....  ;)

I actually am not a dessert person, don't have a sweet tooth at all and normally pass on dessert without a pause (unless it's fresh fruit or cheese). My issue is with salty carbs :-) 

But I completely appreciate your comment here, appropriate.  I should actually take the spirit of this and apply it to my wanting to re-create appetizers!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I am not so much struggling with the meal prep and/or cooking every meal...

It's all the dirty dishes that accumulate so quickly! I am having to be way more on top of doing dishes before they pile up. Not complaining, because the other side of this is... I have way more energy from eating w30, so I might actually get through all the dishes nowadays ;)

• Moderators

There's a pretend invisible Internet award for people who have done Whole30 without a dishwasher. I've won it! You can do it! (not sure if that's your context or not, but its doable without... altho I agree, if you don't stay on top of Dish Mountain, it can get to be a pretty tough hill to climb!)

I'm in for August 1. I was a lurker for the July 1 group. :)  My husband said he'd try it too, although I think he just means he'll eat what I cook but he's free to eat on his own.  I'm okay with that.

I told my fiancé that he either needed to be on board, or he wouldn't be seeing me much this month (we don't live together), so he's in--so far! LOL We've been together all weekend, so we shall see what tomorrow brings while he's on his own. :)

Just finished day 6 but am following this group. Today was challenging because I slept late and then felt like I had to have my meals too close together. I did fine, but it felt weird. Otherwise, still going strong, no really issues, even with 2 social events this weekend where food and drinks flowed! I tried the program once before and at day 15 my brain tricked me into thinking I had to have a cocktail and tater tots to celebrate something. I'm looking forward to getting past day 15 this time. I'm also traveling for work next week, so will likely be on this forum for lots of inspiration during that! I'm planning to pack some stuff in my carry on, then get to a grocery first thing. I foresee lots of salads with tuna and microwaved sweet potatoes in my future :-).

So far, so good. I'm pretty hungry quite a bit though. I've had some headaches, but nothing too bad. I'm really anxious about the upcoming week because I will be working 10-12 hour days, and sometimes I don't have a built-in break for 7.5 hours. It's nice to hear how others are doing also!

• Moderators

Hi Eaandrews -

That's no good that you're hungry quite a bit... this definitely isn't a plan that requires you to be hungry... quite the opposite!

If you want to post what you've been eating including portion sizes relating to your own palm/thumb size, we could see if we can help you tweak some things to get 4-5 hours between meals.

As far as the no break for 7.5 hours, is that the type of 'no break' that means you can't even eat a quick something on the fly? There are a lot of good ideas we can help you with to make some more 'picnic' style template meals that will be easy to eat quickly so you're not going 7 or 8 hours between meals.

Day 3 and feeling good so far despite a bit of grumpiness yesterday afternoon. I agree with lisaannbailey about wanting to get past that day where I fell off the last time I tried this. For me it was Day 11 and I don't really remember what the occasion was but it was probably something similar to a drink and tater tots :)  So, I have had my egg frittata muffins this morning (tried a Nom Nom recipe yesterday) and they were delicious with a small dollop of homemade mayo on top. My lunch is packed and a pork roast in the crockpot. Stay strong!

Day 2 meals:

--m1: leftover steak, kale and onions sautéed in ghee and garlic, coffee with coconut milk

--m2: chicken with mango salsa over mixed greens, coffee with coconut milk

--m3: salmon, steamed broccoli

--was still hungry after dinner: half an apple with almond butter

I really have to watch my coffee intake. I try to have it with breakfast only, because otherwise if I let myself have it throughout the day, I think it definitely runs into being a "sweet treat"/"no brakes" food for me.

Day 2 meals: --m1: leftover steak, kale and onions sautéed in ghee and garlic, coffee with coconut milk --m2: chicken with mango salsa over mixed greens, coffee with coconut milk --m3: salmon, steamed broccoli --was still hungry after dinner: half an apple with almond butter I really have to watch my coffee intake. I try to have it with breakfast only, because otherwise if I let myself have it throughout the day, I think it definitely runs into being a "sweet treat"/"no brakes" food for me.

I don't have much experience, but this day's menu look great, you eat well!  Did you make your mango salsa or is it purchased? 

Last night I was up twice AGAIN to use the bathroom. All but one night of Whole30 eating I've been up at least once, and 3 nights twice. I normally drink a lot of water throughout the day, but do not normally have to get up. In fact, I think I'm actually less thirsty lately, and likely not drinking quite as much as usual. Is this possibly Whole30 related? I expected to lose some water weight by cleaning up my eating--that's normal--but seriously, this seems ridiculous. Curiouser and curiouser...

I don't have much experience, but this day's menu look great, you eat well! Did you make your mango salsa or is it purchased? ----- I buy the freshly made mango salsa in the produce section at Whole Foods! The ingredients are listed on the label (all compliant obviously). They also have a pico de gallo that looked compliant, and we've purchased the tub of guac there was well. They're definitely more expensive but sometimes the convenience is worth it.

Day 2 meals: --m1: leftover steak, kale and onions sautéed in ghee and garlic, coffee with coconut milk --m2: chicken with mango salsa over mixed greens, coffee with coconut milk --m3: salmon, steamed broccoli --was still hungry after dinner: half an apple with almond butter I really have to watch my coffee intake. I try to have it with breakfast only, because otherwise if I let myself have it throughout the day, I think it definitely runs into being a "sweet treat"/"no brakes" food for me.

A couple reasons you might have been hungry after dinner:

- in your meal 2, greens don't tend to be too satiating.  Try adding 1-3 cups of cooked veggies.

- in your meal 3, I don't see any added fat. One idea is to drizzle olive oil over your broccoli.

- in your meal 2, greens don't tend to be too satiating. Try adding 1-3 cups of cooked veggies.

- in your meal 3, I don't see any added fat. One idea is to drizzle olive oil over your broccoli.

------at my meal3 I was out at a restaurant,and I forgot to ask for double veggies! So I really only got about a cup of broccoli (in what universe is that supposed to satiate me?!), but you're right I was definitely missing the fat now that you mention it. I was so focused on getting something compliant that I kind of forgot about getting some fat in with it!

- in your meal 2, greens don't tend to be too satiating.  Try adding 1-3 cups of cooked veggies.

ADD Fat...I think thats likely one of the hardest hurdles to overcome..for so long we've been told to eliminate fat..I know I'll have to work at this

Hi Eaandrews -

That's no good that you're hungry quite a bit... this definitely isn't a plan that requires you to be hungry... quite the opposite!

If you want to post what you've been eating including portion sizes relating to your own palm/thumb size, we could see if we can help you tweak some things to get 4-5 hours between meals.

As far as the no break for 7.5 hours, is that the type of 'no break' that means you can't even eat a quick something on the fly? There are a lot of good ideas we can help you with to make some more 'picnic' style template meals that will be easy to eat quickly so you're not going 7 or 8 hours between meals.

So far today, I've had:

3 eggs cooked in EVOO, half an avocado, and some watermelon for breakfast.

A big bowl of spaghetti squash sautéed in 2 tbsp. coconut oil with half a pint of home-canned tomatoes, half an avocado, 2 hard-boiled eggs, and a handful of blueberries for lunch.

That's probably more than I had been eating for lunch, but I was hungry today!

As far as the break things goes, I'm a coach, and I'll be working camps and clinics with no breaks. I have, however, asked another coach if he can cover for me for at least 30 minutes between 12-1 each day, so that will be a big help.

Thanks for reaching out!

• Moderators

Hi Eaandrews -

It's not that surprising that you were quite hungry today. Nutrition is cumulative and low intake days prior will affect you in the future.

I don't see any vegetables in your meal 1... you're aiming for 1-3 cups and fruit, if eaten, is in addition to that... don't let fruit replace veg.

Your meal 2 has veg, which is great but 2 hardboiled eggs isn't nearly enough protein. When using eggs as your sole source of protein for a meal, it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping. Even for the smallest person, that's usually 3-4... I can hold five if I'm really hungry. If you don't want to eat more eggs, add another protein source. Compliant sausage would have been good with that meal!

Have you seen the meal template? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The jist is, each meal includes 1-2 palms (your own palm, width, length and thickness) of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables (way WAY more if it's salad greens) and 1-2 thumbs of added fat... it goes into more detail on quantities for olives, nuts, avocado etc.

Give the template look and try and make your meals match. We really don't want you hungry all the time :)

Hi Eaandrews -

It's not that surprising that you were quite hungry today. Nutrition is cumulative and low intake days prior will affect you in the future.

I don't see any vegetables in your meal 1... you're aiming for 1-3 cups and fruit, if eaten, is in addition to that... don't let fruit replace veg.

Your meal 2 has veg, which is great but 2 hardboiled eggs isn't nearly enough protein. When using eggs as your sole source of protein for a meal, it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping. Even for the smallest person, that's usually 3-4... I can hold five if I'm really hungry. If you don't want to eat more eggs, add another protein source. Compliant sausage would have been good with that meal!

Have you seen the meal template? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The jist is, each meal includes 1-2 palms (your own palm, width, length and thickness) of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables (way WAY more if it's salad greens) and 1-2 thumbs of added fat... it goes into more detail on quantities for olives, nuts, avocado etc.

Give the template look and try and make your meals match. We really don't want you hungry all the time :)

Yes, I've seen the template. My struggle is that I'm not a huge meat eater. I don't like bacon or sausage at all. I bought some ground beef that I'll cook up tonight or tomorrow, as well as a pork loin, and I've been eating some canned tuna in water as well on salads. My main protein source has been eggs, but I get sick of those pretty easily too (and I'm already eating at least 5 per day). I'm planning on adding some spinach and onions into my eggs the next few days to incorporate veggies into my breakfast.

My dad is actually going to grill me up a bunch of chicken and shrimp one of these days (I don't own a grill), so that will be very helpful.

One of my questions is if there is such a thing as too many starchy vegetables? I mainly gravitate toward sweet potatoes and squashes, but I try not to overdo those because I feel like there are probably better options as far as veggies go.

I also keep carrots, broccoli, and raw cashews on hand in case I need a little extra boost.

Thanks again!

• Moderators

I LOATHE bacon... it's definitely not a requirement... and compliant sausage up here in Canada is pretty hard to find. Sounds like you're going to get some help with proteins from your dad! That's great. It sounds like you eat tinned fish... Canned salmon, tuna, sardines, oysters are all great options. If you're going to eat eggs, fill up on them... there's not really a 'too many' issue until you're eating bathtubs full and it sounds like your tastes are going to dictate the quantity anyway, so if that is your protein, please eat as many as you can hold.

As far as starchy vegetables, it's your context that will dictate that. The recommendation is at least one fist sized serving a day... more if you are a woman in the week leading up to and of your period. Some folks with depression and other mental health issues (not judging.. I'm one with mental health issues) eat a fist sized serving at each meal as they find it helps them regulate mood and hormones to a degree.

High output athletes will eat quite a bit of starchy carbs. People with a lot of weight to lose or sedentary folks would want to manage how much starchy carb they eat.

The other thing is that you want to include all the colors of vegetables, so while potatoes are delicious and you may gravitate toward them and other starchy carbs, make sure you're getting 1-3 cups of non starchy carbs... green and red and orange and yellow.

Carrots, broc and raw cashews on hand are great but please work to get your meals large and filling enough to get you 4-5 hours. And if you need a boost, which you may as it sounds like you may end up going longer than 5 hours between, please try and have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. So hardboiled eggs (haha... sorry... more eggs), tinned fish, meatballs etc... with those veg and cashews will get you a lot further. Also, be careful with the nuts... they can end up being a food without breaks for a lot of people and they're known to be high gut disruptors.

Day 3 not my favorite. Cold and wet outside, stress from work, and I want to snack with comforting, "X, Y, or Z". None of which are approved.

And thus why I am doing Whole30.

Pity party over, big-girl (but not big forever) panties pulled back up.

Day 3 and doing well!  Just curious, my Whole Foods just discontinued the Tessemae's brand.  The only way I can get it is online with either large purchase or big shipping cost.  I don't mind doing that if it's really good!  Please advise with your experience with this brand and what your fav products are.  Thanks!

I'm starting my first Whole 30 on August 1st too. It's almost here. I'm excited to have a lot of company on this journey. Is anyone subscribing to the daily newsletter? I have both books so don't know if that offers anything new. Good luck to every one!!

I am subscribing and loving it.  Figured I needed all the help I could get.

Archived