Start date Aug 1

Mary2244

Suggestions? I am planning out the week's meals this morning, and it's my birthday later this week..it's a really birthday in fact, half-century. I'm good with staying on plan, I want this more (though sadly my bottle of special wine that has been in storage to toast this occasion will have to stay there until next month).

I don't know what crispy thing to serve with guac? Open to either store bought or homemade ideas.

Where we will be has beautiful peaches in season, that will be my "birthday treat" with dinner. Any suggestions on upping the bar for them? Slivered almonds, ???  Lol, that's the extent of my creativity early this morning.

What did you do for a special occasion?  TIA :-)

I really like red pepper strips with the guac.  Celery work too.  Maybe grilling the peaches?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breakfast, 3 eggs scrambled with tomatoes and spinach, fist full of almonds, blueberries

Lunch, 2 eggs over fingerling potatoes with ghee, almond butter and apple (I did not have any prepared protein, and I was in a work rush, so more eggs! Ditto fat, so more almonds. Otherwise would not have had either a second time in a day.)

Dinner, whole 30 compliant thai curry chicken over cauliflower. I made it with thighs instead of breast, so hopefully between that and the coconut milk, coconut oil, and ghee to heat the cauliflower I've had enough fat. And hopefully tomorrow morning I'll have a ripe avocado! Who knew getting enough fat would be a concern?

The spicy curry made me think of/crave crackers or bread, but I just acknowledged the craving, didn't act on it, and eventually it went away.

Hope everyone did well today!

Day 3 and still going strong. I absolutely LOVE the Well Fed 2 cookbook.  I've made the BBQ beef (no sweet potato "waffle" buns), Classic Coleslaw, Meat Sauce (with meatballs), Deli Tuna Salad, Kickass Ketchup, Russian Dressing, Reuben Rollups and I've put together the fixings for the Thai Beef and froze that.

On day 1, I had a couple of scrambled eggs with onions and green peppers. Lunch was some of the egg bake, dinner was hamburger patties and sweet potatoes. I've eaten on the tuna salad yesterday and today for lunch (day 2 and 3). We had the Meat Sauce w/meatballs, sausage, and pork chops over zucchini noodles for supper last night (day 2). Tonight (day 3)we had the reuben rollups and coleslaw. Tomorrow night we'll have BBQ beef and coleslaw. I made an egg bake the other day and I've been eating that for breakfast with a slice of ham. (The egg stuff was supposed to be egg muffins but I couldn't find my muffin tin so I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan.) The egg bake has onions and sweet potatoes in it.

Now... what I KNOW I need to work on is getting more veggies in. It's hard because I just don't have the tummy space for much more than the protein. I can only eat about a cup of food and I'm stuffed. I haven't really been hungry between meals. Today I had a morning snack of a tiny apple and sun butter.

Monday W30 day 3:

Today was my first day working out since I started the W30. I never used to eat before working out, and I'm hopefully going to work up to having a normal meal1 (no fruit) about 75min before I workout, but today I was just trying ease into a new habit, stay compliant, and not yak during my bootcamp, haha.

Pre-WO meal: 3oz pork sausage patty, coffee with coconut milk

Workout: 2mile run and bootcamp class, heavy on the push-ups today!

Post-WO meal: half a chicken breast and 3 fingerling potatoes

Meal 2: carne asada, guacamole, sautéed kale and onions, banana, 8oz kombucha

Meal 3: big bowl of chili with half avocado and chopped red onion, 2 cups of salad greens with tessamae ranch vinaigrette

Water intake: 60oz (goal is 90oz)

Overall a good day 3. I will try to work up to having a bigger pre-workout meal. I had a small craving for dessert after dinner, but I think that had more to do with being tired from the day (I'm off to bed right after I type this!) and I just ignored it with no issues.

Hope everyone had a great day 3! Technically we are 10% done...

Day three is in the books. The cooking part is super easy for me as I am a classically trained chef. The not eating what I want part is difficult. I decided to do the Whole30 as a way to retrain my palate. It is only day three but I will take each day as a success. This community is super helpful too.

• Moderators

Day 3 and still going strong. I absolutely LOVE the Well Fed 2 cookbook.  I've made the BBQ beef (no sweet potato "waffle" buns), Classic Coleslaw, Meat Sauce (with meatballs), Deli Tuna Salad, Kickass Ketchup, Russian Dressing, Reuben Rollups and I've put together the fixings for the Thai Beef and froze that.

On day 1, I had a couple of scrambled eggs with onions and green peppers. Lunch was some of the egg bake, dinner was hamburger patties and sweet potatoes. I've eaten on the tuna salad yesterday and today for lunch (day 2 and 3). We had the Meat Sauce w/meatballs, sausage, and pork chops over zucchini noodles for supper last night (day 2). Tonight (day 3)we had the reuben rollups and coleslaw. Tomorrow night we'll have BBQ beef and coleslaw. I made an egg bake the other day and I've been eating that for breakfast with a slice of ham. (The egg stuff was supposed to be egg muffins but I couldn't find my muffin tin so I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan.) The egg bake has onions and sweet potatoes in it.

Now... what I KNOW I need to work on is getting more veggies in. It's hard because I just don't have the tummy space for much more than the protein. I can only eat about a cup of food and I'm stuffed. I haven't really been hungry between meals. Today I had a morning snack of a tiny apple and sun butter.

Hi, SuzieQ2U! Glad things are going well for you -- and that Well Fed 2 cookbook is definitely amazing, it makes eating meat and vegetables so much more exciting than I had thought it could be.

I did just want to say, while we generally recommend three meals and no snacking for most people, there are some people who cannot make that work, especially people whose stomachs are smaller than normal due to surgery. If that's the case for you and you need to have smaller meals more often, that's okay. It's more important to make sure you're eating enough to sustain yourself and all the things you do in life than it is to only eat three times a day. So in your case, maybe it makes sense to have smaller meals that all contain protein, fat, and vegetables, and have them more often. You also may want to focus on cooked vegetables, as generally, it's going to be easier to get more of them into a smaller space than raw vegetables, if that makes sense. That doesn't mean never have raw ones, but more often than not, maybe have cooked ones.  

I've had a good three days and making breakfast now to start my day 4.  Like the Whole 30 newsletter said, the last few days have felt a little bit like a hangover but not from alcohol, from sugar.  This morning when I woke up I felt pretty good. The food has been a bit labor intensive to make but the pork tenderloin with kale and sweet potatoes was awesome!  The Thai salad was really good too!  I also made the mayo and it was so good, it would be hard to go back to the store brand. I've been exercising but nothing extreme and my energy level has been good.

Keep up the good work and have a great day!

Hi Everyone from not-so-sunny NE Florida! (it's been raining it seems like everyday this summer!)

I started my first Whole30 on Aug 1...  Day 4 at hand...  I've been pleasantly surprised already with some non-scale victories, however I can't seem to shake this brain fog!  Is anyone else experiencing this??  I can't seem to concentrate for any length of time..  =/    LOL...  Holy smokes... when, oh when will my brain return to me??

Lost in space... and time....   ;p

Cindy 

<3

I am continuing on from the July 1st W30, hope you don't mind if I follow this post. I'm trying to treat it like it's my first so I don't get cocky thinking I know everything and start making my own rules. I'm having the I wanna eat everything again and am having to talk myself down. Maybe cause I am not doing fruit or potatoes this time. I ordered the well fed 2, I have w#) and well fed 1 but am looking for more ideas and I like to have the recipes in my hand for menu planning. Well W30 on!

Day 3 and doing well!  Just curious, my Whole Foods just discontinued the Tessemae's brand.  The only way I can get it is online with either large purchase or big shipping cost.  I don't mind doing that if it's really good!  Please advise with your experience with this brand and what your fav products are.  Thanks!

I just found Tessemae's brand at Kroger in the cold section with produce.

Hi Everyone from not-so-sunny NE Florida! (it's been raining it seems like everyday this summer!)

I started my first Whole30 on Aug 1...  Day 4 at hand...  I've been pleasantly surprised already with some non-scale victories, however I can't seem to shake this brain fog!  Is anyone else experiencing this??  I can't seem to concentrate for any length of time..  =/    LOL...  Holy smokes... when, oh when will my brain return to me??

Lost in space... and time....   ;p

Cindy 

<3

Some starchy veg, if you're not already including some, may help clear the brain fog - along with a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily (ie. 75 oz would be enough for someone weighing 150lbs), and plenty of fat - really, embrace the fat - it really does solve all problems!

I have also had brain fog so will take the advice given to Inoneness and incorporate starchy vegs and more fat. Having sweet potato, baked chicken thighs and a kale salad for supper. I will work on drinking more water as well. I'm thrilled, though, with my improved sleep! 

M1: egg casserole (3-4 eggs, chorizo, onions, peppers, kale), coffee with coconut milk

M2: TCMTG's chili, half an avocado, half a kombucha

Pushing through a lot of emotional triggers today. Plus MH is out of town on business, which is when I would normally indulge in carbs and cookies. Sitting down to have a grilled chicken breast, and that Trader Joe's cruciferous crunch coleslaw mix with homemade mayo. Might even have a small potato to help with these cravings, although potatoes of any kind are sometimes food with no brakes for me.

M1: egg casserole (3-4 eggs, chorizo, onions, peppers, kale), coffee with coconut milk

M2: TCMTG's chili, half an avocado, half a kombucha

Pushing through a lot of emotional triggers today. Plus MH is out of town on business, which is when I would normally indulge in carbs and cookies. Sitting down to have a grilled chicken breast, and that Trader Joe's cruciferous crunch coleslaw mix with homemade mayo. Might even have a small potato to help with these cravings, although potatoes of any kind are sometimes food with no brakes for me.

Do you make your own kombucha? I thought I couldn't have them because the sugar content is so high, but I would love to have some!

I'm with you on the emotional triggers. It must be close to Ladies Time, with how today and yesterday have gone.  Potatoes are my cocaine too.

Breakfast: eggs over-easy on avocado, berries

Lunch: salad with tuna, sunflower seeds, mixed lettuce, carrots, etc., salad dressing made with mustard (sugar-free!) and balsamic, fingerlings

Dinner: thai chicken curry over cauliflower, watermelon, hand full of almonds

Another day in the bank! Eat well, everyone!

Do you make your own kombucha? I thought I couldn't have them because the sugar content is so high, but I would love to have some!

I'm with you on the emotional triggers. It must be close to Ladies Time, with how today and yesterday have gone.  Potatoes are my cocaine too.

Nah, Whole Foods had the GT's Enlightened brand kombucha on sale, a case for $21.60... so we bought two! Haha

Hope you get through your triggers today!

I'm interested to here what everyone's top two reasons are for committing to this 30 day journey?

For me, it is to:

1. Reset my eating switch. I can go awhile and things are stabilized, and then what, I do not know, but I lose all sense of satiety and I gain 1-3lbs per week. I need to do some sort of very controlled eating to regain normalcy again.  This is a relatively new thing in the last 5 years.  Controlled eating successfully resets it, for about 6 months.  When I do the re-entry with selective foods to identify intolerances or whatever, no foods will reveal any trigger. It's as if something builds up slowly over time and then all of a sudden hell breaks loose.

2. Take a break from wine. I love wine with my food, but I don't want to reach for it every night. Too expensive, and it replaces the water I need to be drinking.  Sorry to say sipping water out on the deck each evening is not as romantic.

I have others, but really, those are the top two.  It's only Day Four and I needed to come back to my reasons of why I am choosing this 30 day adventure.

Some starchy veg, if you're not already including some, may help clear the brain fog - along with a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily (ie. 75 oz would be enough for someone weighing 150lbs), and plenty of fat - really, embrace the fat - it really does solve all problems!

jmcbn ~  Thank you for the good advice!  I will def increase the starchy veg and water intake...  and I never, ever thought these words would pass my lips, but I will certainly be embracing the fat!   :D  :D  :D

• Moderators

Besides having an adorable brand name, what is worthy about Tessemae?

It's very difficult to find premade dressings and sauces that are Whole30 compliant, and Tessemae's is a brand that has several varieties that are compliant, and they're one of the official Whole30 Approved brands (for most of their items -- they have some that contain off-plan ingredients).

• Moderators

Here's the official word on kombucha, from the Can I Have list:

Kombucha: Read your labels

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that’s a no-go.  Some varieties, like GT Dave’s Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.rhpN2Prl.dpuf

Here's the official word on kombucha, from the Can I Have list:

Kombucha: Read your labels

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that’s a no-go.  Some varieties, like GT Dave’s Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.rhpN2Prl.dpuf

I was wondering when it is appropriate to drink kombucha. Like, I know chewing gum or snacking between meals is discouraged/not allowed because it tricks your stomach into thinking a meal is imminent. Does drinking kombucha (or really any drink besides water) also do the same thing? I've been trying to stick with water between meals, but often the stretch between lunch and dinner is the time where I like drinking a La Croix or a GT's kombucha to break the water monotony.

Days 1-4:  So far everything's going well. 

I did some cooking Saturday, so I've been mixing leftovers for the most part.

Meals for the last 4 days were:

B-2 Eggs & 1/2 Potato with Guacamole

L- Butternut Squash Soup (p 266 W30) w/ Kale & Chicken
D-Ground Beef over Spinach w/ Tomatoes & Guacamole

B-Pork Chops w/ Applesauce (p 258 W30) over baby lettuce
L-Butternut Squash Soup w/ Kale & Chicken
D-Ratatouille w/ Chicken & some grapes

B-Ratatouille (p 288 W30) w/ Chicken
L-Ground Beef & Tomato Sauce (p 324 W30) over Spaghetti Squash
D-Butternut Squash Soup w/ Kale & Chicken & Apple w/ Cinnamon

B-Ratatouille w/ Chicken & a few grapes
L-Paleo Bowl: Sauted kale, garlic green beans & grilled veggies w/Chicken & Guacamole
D-Ratatouille w/Ground Beef over spaghetti squash & an Apple w/Cinnamon

The Pork Chops and Applesauce were quite good, though re-heated pork chop was not my favorite. :/
The Butternut Squash soup was yummy, but perhaps a little plain. I'll need to spice this up a little next time. However, I will make it again!
Ratatouille --YUM.

Have a great Day 5 everyone,

Archived