The ship sails again! Anchors aweigh!!

fmr_sailor

Although I was going to wait until after my daughter's birthday to make my third attempt at the Whole30, after eating at two of my favorite restaurants over the past few days they left me with horrible abdominal pain. I'm assuming that's because I've been eating A LOT more cleanly this month, and now these foods I once loved are tearing me up. Plus, I can tell I'm gaining weight despite evicting my scale from my home. I am feeling a little out of control with my food choices and "cheat meals."

I'm starting TOMORROW! And I plan to continue through the month of August because my husband plans to restart as we'd planned before, on August 2nd. I sat down yesterday and wrote out my reasons for wanting to do a Whole30, so that when it gets hard, I can read my reasons and that can help push me through the tough spots.

1) I want to resolve/correct my lifelong digestion issues. (Chronic constipation despite a "healthy" diet.)

2) I want to strengthen my immune system to help with certain issues.

3) I want to reduce/resolve pain I've had in my left leg that has come and gone for the past 5 years.

4) I want to improve my athletic performance and recovery. (I run and teach Zumba and weights.)

5) I want to improve my body composition especially in my midsection.

6) I want to increase my ability to resist food temptations and reduce/eliminate sugar cravings.

7) I want to improve my focus on working toward and completing a goal. (I seem to lack the focus I once had when it comes to eating.)

8) I want to create new food habits (practical & psychological) that I can pass on to my children.

9) I want to prove to myself that I CAN COMPLETE A WHOLE30!

I guess it would be prettier if I had 10 reasons, but that's what I've got right now. The house is ready, just need to restock tomorrow. I'm going to cut back on my running and classes this month because the two times I quit Whole30 this month were after a race and a long run. Besides my body could probably use the break! I may not track all my food here because I've been writing down what I eat for most of the past 14 years, and to be honest, I'm kinda tired of it right now. I plan to kinda chronicle the mental aspect of my journey here.

Haze gray and underway, baby!!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today was my third day one, and it was just fine. I think there has been some carry over from my other two attempts plus clean eating (but not Whole30 compliant) during this whole month. This day one was far easier than the other two. I had some really great meals, and am working on quick cleanup right after preparing each meal so the dishes don't pile up and overwhelm me. I made mayonnaise tonight, and I was so excited. I'm really digging tuna salad right now, so I wanted it mostly to make that. I've been using a can of tuna, a hard boiled egg, two tablespoons of mayo, a good squirt of Guldens mustard, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. So yummy! My eight year old daughter loves it.

Off to bed now, super sleepy, weights class at 5:45 tomorrow morning. I love lifting!!

So up to Day four, and nothing exciting to report other than I haven't quit again. Lol. I did a semi-long run this morning of 7.5 miles. For me, this was an hour and twenty-six minutes. I ate a hard boiled egg before I left and carried fluids. I took four ounces of coconut water mixed with 12 ounces of water. I don't especially like the coconut water, but that touch of sweetness makes me drink more, and it's easy to lose several pounds of fluids on a run in the summer. Plus, I sweat A LOT. I lifted hard and wore my tail out Friday morning in my weight training class, then I taught Zumba that night. So on Saturday....I did nothing except spend time with my family. I don't think I even barely got 5000 steps, but today I'm already over 16,000! The run went as well as could be expected. My legs were somewhat heavy, but my head was clear (no fuzziness or dizziness), and I felt good. I'm worn out now though! So....the food for today

Pre-WO: hard boiled egg, coffee

Post-WO: three bites chicken, four or five small circles of sweet potato (both cold and delicious)

M1 (in a hurry for church): two hard boiled eggs with mashed avocado on top, leftover tuna salad, leftover squash, and two small leftover potatoes, coffee

M2 (family went out for pizza....): burger with mayo, Tessemae's ketchup, red onion, lettuce; a whole white potato with ghee; half my plate of turnips with greens (love them!); a banana.

I am trying to make sure I restock my glycogen stores, hence the bunches of potato and the banana today. However, I will possibly omit the starchy veggie from dinner. I have quit the Whole30 twice after hard workouts from what I would suppose was lack of energy, and I am trying not to let that happen again. Next Sunday I'm planning to do a nine miler as I'm preparing for a September half marathon. Of course, Whole30 is my priority right now, so I might change my distance in that race to 10K if my long runs aren't going well. I have other races planned for late fall and winter, so I can pick it up later once I'm all fat burning. I'm all about using my ghetto booty for fuel rather than a bagel. Lol

Also backed off on my classes for August, so that I can keep my focus on completing a Whole30. My husband will restart August 2nd, and I will stay on through with him even though I began earlier. This week I'm teaching one cycling class, one Zumba and two weight training. Runs will be 2-3, 3, 4.5, 2-3, 9.

I am also preparing for a September half-marathon. I've been out of commission for about three years with various injuries and will be extremely happy to get to the start line uninjured! It was interesting to read about your recovery meals. Thanks for the tips.

"Adventures on the Whole30," a dramatization.

[setting: A husband and wife are sitting together in the living room watching tv.]

Wife: I definitely think that Larabars have no place in my Whole30 after trying that one yesterday.

Husband: Yeah?

Wife: Absolutely. So I decided to get rid of the other three I bought.

Husband: What did you do with them?

Wife: I ate them.

[Fade to black. Curtain closes. No more Larabars on the Whole30. EVER. End of confession. Thank you.]

PS. I've done this over and over in the past ;)

"Bl**dy hell I've eaten a jammy dodger, if I eat the rest of the packet and that box of maltesers they won't be in the house in the morning and my 16728th attempt at a diet will be easy peasy...oh and that packet of Jaffa Cakes, without those I'll do PERFECTLY, I must consume them right now"

PS. I've done this over and over in the past ;)

"Bl**dy hell I've eaten a jammy dodger, if I eat the rest of the packet and that box of maltesers they won't be in the house in the morning and my 16728th attempt at a diet will be easy peasy...oh and that packet of Jaffa Cakes, without those I'll do PERFECTLY, I must consume them right now"

I understood *most* of this as my British English is not so good. Lol. I couldn't bear to just throw them away. Besides I HAD to know what they ALL tasted like. And none of those three were as good as that very first one I tried Saturday afternoon. Of course! No regrets, just a lesson well learned!!

"Adventures on the Whole30," a dramatization.

[setting: A husband and wife are sitting together in the living room watching tv.]

Wife: I definitely think that Larabars have no place in my Whole30 after trying that one yesterday.

Husband: Yeah?

Wife: Absolutely. So I decided to get rid of the other three I bought.

Husband: What did you do with them?

Wife: I ate them.

[Fade to black. Curtain closes. No more Larabars on the Whole30. EVER. End of confession. Thank you.]

Ok, too funny!

They are never good...you just think they are going to be!

Jammie Dodgers and Jaffa cakes are biscuits...maltesers are chocolate covered honeycomb type sweets x

Sounds yummy!

Had a good, wonderfully compliant breakfast of three scrambled eggs in coconut oil, two pan fried slices of prociutto, turnips & greens, and leftover squash. Absolutely delicious! It's on Instagram, if you are: @fmr_sailor.

So I ate breakfast at 8:30, then showered and ran errands. By the time we got home, I fixed lunch for the kids, then myself it was 1:30. I had a cycling class I was subbing at 5:30. Decided to test my lunch, as in was it enough to get me through the class and back home for dinner. I cooked a shrimp stir fry before I left. It had frozen cooked shrimp, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, pineapple chunks, mushrooms, and snow peas. I cooked the stir fry in about 2 T. of coconut oil, added in garlic powder, coconut aminos, and salt. Then finished it with two teaspoons of sesame oil. I've found that on the Whole30, I never have a desire to have a bite of ANYTHING between meals (now, y'all have already forgotten about those Larabars by now, lol), so I didn't even want to taste the food after I'd cooked it. When my husband got home, he tasted it and thought it was fantastic. Score!

I taught cycling from 5:30-6:30. I felt absolutely fine, just like normal, so I worked at my usual intensity. (I also ran 2.5 miles this morning.) Finished class and headed home. Now, my stomach hurt, I needed to eat, but my head was totally clear. Normally if I were to even attempt to go that long without eating, I would be dizzy, light-headed, and weak. But I was just hungry, ready to eat, and completely ok! By the time I sat down to my stir fry (with chop sticks, of course!), it had been 6 hours since I'd sat down to lunch. I am pretty sure I'm ahead of the timeline since I've restarted and even eaten some compliant meals off the Whole30.

I love fat burning! I love being able to leave the house for A WHILE and not have to worry about bringing a snack or getting overly hungry and dizzy. I've found if I get too hungry on Whole30, I will get a headache, but it goes away when I eat. Still trucking along and enjoying myself. Tomorrow I have weights at 5:45 am, and pre and post WO meals are ready to go. Zumba tomorrow night. Another day, #5, in the books!

Archived