Spices and herbs...?

Shawie

Are there any limits on what we can use as far as spices go?  E.g. pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, etc?

How about herbs as in like cilantro, thyme, sage, parsley, etc?

I had plain old eggs and spinach for breakfast cooked with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and that tasted so bland without anything else added to it. lol

Nope, go for it. Do check the ingredients to make sure it's just spices - there was a thread awhile back where someone found some noncompliant additive in her garlic powder, for whatever bizarre reason. Keep an eye out especially if you use spice blends. But no limit on actual spices!

Nope, go for it. Do check the ingredients to make sure it's just spices - there was a thread awhile back where someone found some noncompliant additive in her garlic powder, for whatever bizarre reason. Keep an eye out especially if you use spice blends. But no limit on actual spices!

yes, be sure to check. Some spice mixes in particular may contain sugar(s) so always read the label.  Fresh herbs are all fine, of course - use with abandon!

Thank you!  I use plenty of freshly ground pepper usually so that's a relief that I can keep doing that. :)  I use salt sparingly anyway (my husband always needs to put more in his food lol).  I will definitely look at the labels for other spices and make sure they don't have any non-compliant ingredients.  

• Administrators

. :)  I use salt sparingly anyway (my husband always needs to put more in his food lol). 

When you remove all processed foods from your diet, you lose nearly all your sodium.  Salt/sodium is a requirement for human body functioning and in general if you are cooking only whole, fresh foods, you're going to need to salt them.  Low sodium can cause headaches, weakness, nausea, joint and muscle aches and poor mood.  Salt away!

When you remove all processed foods from your diet, you lose nearly all your sodium.  Salt/sodium is a requirement for human body functioning and in general if you are cooking only whole, fresh foods, you're going to need to salt them.  Low sodium can cause headaches, weakness, nausea, joint and muscle aches and poor mood.  Salt away!

I copy that. ;)  Kosher salt will do right? ..or shall I grab a different kind? I just noticed that it says "This salt does not supply iodine a necessary nutrient."

• Administrators

I copy that. ;)  Kosher salt will do right? ..or shall I grab a different kind? I just noticed that it says "This salt does not supply iodine a necessary nutrient."

You can use whatever salt you like.  If you are looking for iodine in your foods, try wrapping chicken salad in a sheet of nori or throwing some dulse into your bone broth.  Eating any sort of sea vegetable will give you iodine.  You'll also find it in strawberries, cranberries and potatoes.

I vary the salts I use -- plain sea salt, pink himalayan, hawaiian salts (red and black mostly), celtic grey salt -- they all have different trace elements/minerals and I just find that if I am varying the veggies and what not that I am eating, why not do the same with salt :)  

My husband and I are big fans of Himalayan pink salt. I also keep a box of kosher salt for when I need larger quantities of salt. (The pink salt is in a grinder and I can't be bothered to fresh grind a whole tablespoon of salt.)

You can use whatever salt you like.  If you are looking for iodine in your foods, try wrapping chicken salad in a sheet of nori or throwing some dulse into your bone broth.  Eating any sort of sea vegetable will give you iodine.  You'll also find it in strawberries, cranberries and potatoes.

Oh my word, I used to eat a bag of this stuff every Saturday when my mum went to by fresh fish from the fishmonger. I never thought of adding it to bone broth - must give it a go!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a spice rack that over time I've just dumped spices into, and I'm wondering now if I need to buy all new - is my cumin compliant? Are my herbs compliant? The only mix I have is Italian seasoning. I guess my question is wondering if I need to get all new spices, or if those are typically ok?

I would hazard a guess that if they are single note spices they SHOULD be ok -- plain Italian seasoning SHOULD be ok -- but if you want to be really sure, I would at least purchase the spices you think you will use over the next 30 days and keep the spices in your spice rack for when you are done. The only thing I would think too, is that if your spices are over a year old, to dump them on principle and start with fresh. Ground spices only last about a year or so before losing their flavor. 

Ground spices only last about a year or so before losing their flavor.

Man oh man! I finally bit the bullet and bought new garlic powder, since my old stuff kept clumping and I was tired of breaking it apart --- DANG! The new stuff is POTENT! I think some of it might be the brand since I got the new stuff at a Mediterranean grocery store, and the old stuff was just the 5 Seasons brand from WalMart, but ya, I think the "newness" of it definitely played a role as well.

• Administrators

Man oh man! I finally bit the bullet and bought new garlic powder, since my old stuff kept clumping and I was tired of breaking it apart --- DANG! The new stuff is POTENT! I think some of it might be the brand since I got the new stuff at a Mediterranean grocery store, and the old stuff was just the 5 Seasons brand from WalMart, but ya, I think the "newness" of it definitely played a role as well.

That happens to me from time to time also.  Husband is not a fan of a lot of spice and sometimes when I've just opened a new pkg of ginger, cumin or chili powder, he finds dinner inedible.  

Hey guys!

I have taco season I purchased. 

The ingredients do not mention sugar or anything that is not not compliant. 

However part of it does say just "spices" in the middle of the list - Should I be concerned, not sure if it could include sugar even though I don't think its technically a "spice"? 

• Administrators

Hey guys!

I have taco season I purchased. 

The ingredients do not mention sugar or anything that is not not compliant. 

However part of it does say just "spices" in the middle of the list - Should I be concerned, not sure if it could include sugar even though I don't think its technically a "spice"? 

Manufacturers cannot hide sugar, soy, dairy etc in a generic term.  If it had sugar it would state "sugar" in the ingredients.

My husband and I are big fans of Himalayan pink salt. I also keep a box of kosher salt for when I need larger quantities of salt. (The pink salt is in a grinder and I can't be bothered to fresh grind a whole tablespoon of salt.)

Do you have any experience using Sherpa Pink Natural Himalayan Gourmet Salt from San Francisco Salt Company?  There is no real ingredient list listing out the various trace elements and minerals...  I just wanted to make sure that there are no "forbidden" non-compliant ingredients in it.  I use it all the time. 

• Moderators

Do you have any experience using Sherpa Pink Natural Himalayan Gourmet Salt from San Francisco Salt Company?  There is no real ingredient list listing out the various trace elements and minerals...  I just wanted to make sure that there are no "forbidden" non-compliant ingredients in it.  I use it all the time. 

If it's just the salt, it's fine to use. You don't have to worry about the naturally occurring minerals in the salt. If it was a seasoned salt that they'd adding anything to, they'd have to list the ingredients.

• 1 year later...

This may have been answered elsewhere so feel free to point me to this. I have a spice rack. Some are spices I've purchased from Indian stores. I've been told that these spices may have flour/wheat in them. I've long thrown away the bag and have them in glass containers. Someone told me that I can find out if they have flour by sprinkling the spice in water and if there is flour, it will sink to the bottom. Is this true? 

I also have spices from Trader Joes and it doesn't have an ingredient list (single spices). I tried the water trick with the tumeric and the "flour" or whatever it is floated to the bottom. Has  anyone heard of this water trick? 

Sonya

• Moderators

If the spice is a single ingredient in the bottle it came in, then the title of the spice is the ingredient list.  

As far as the ones that are old, you may want to stay away from that... I've never heard the flour/water thing and it sounds like it may be hit or miss, but I'm sure google would have more info on that if you want to do some research.

Archived