July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

Hi All!  I started a day ahead of you on Sunday, July 26th.  Day one went well, but I worry that I ate too much fruit throughout the day.  I'll have to be more conscious of that.  I look forward to following all your progress and success!  

We can do this!!!

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started today!  This is my first time doing Whole30, although I've tried to eat mostly paleo for the last 3 years.  My husband and I recently moved to CA from CO, and all the change that came with that transition lead to a lot of unhealthy diet decisions (I mean, we're in the middle of wine country and there's an In-n-Out Burger just up the street).  I am in desparate need of a reset, so I'm very excited to take on the Whole30.  I'm hoping my energy levels and desire to be active increase dramatically.  I also have a stack of very cute professional pants that I purchased before the move for my new job that do not currently fit...so yeah, I want to be able to wear those. 

I had my first mayo fail last night, but I'm hopeful after reading all about what I was doing wrong and watching a few youtube videos that my next batch will be successful.  If I can make a compliant Ranch dressing I will be one happy camper! 

Best of luck, everyone!  Let's crush this!!

Hi Everyone!

Today marks Day 1 for me, too. I did some grocery shopping, made a batch of mayo, and took a Day 0 photo (almost didn't take the photo but thought I might regret it later). 

Looking forward to hearing how everyone's experience goes!

Hi Everyone! Happy day 1. Just a suggestion: maybe at the end of each day we can share our meals and any recipes as well as our thoughts for the day. Will help the process and give others meal ideas. I will share  my recap of the day tonight :)

So how did it go everyone?

I am so glad I spent ages cooking up and chopping loads of things before I started, it's made a long day juggling kids and work go a bit easier!!

I'll share my meals to get things going...

B: green smoothie and two boiled eggs

L: large salad with salmon and a few new potatoes.

D: leftover chicken cattitore form the whole 30 book with butternut squash and broccoli.

Does anyone else find themselves planning and thinking about foods all the time??!!!

• Moderators

So how did it go everyone?

I am so glad I spent ages cooking up and chopping loads of things before I started, it's made a long day juggling kids and work go a bit easier!!

I'll share my meals to get things going...

B: green smoothie and two boiled eggs

L: large salad with salmon and a few new potatoes.

D: leftover chicken cattitore form the whole 30 book with butternut squash and broccoli.

Does anyone else find themselves planning and thinking about foods all the time??!!!

Just FYI -- smoothies are really not encouraged on Whole30. We want you to actually chew your food -- it truly does affect your satiety signals. Take the veggies that were in the smoothie, and eat them instead.

Here's the official statement from the Can I Have list:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Also, don't forget to add fat at each meal.

Just FYI -- smoothies are really not encouraged on Whole30. We want you to actually chew your food -- it truly does affect your satiety signals. Take the veggies that were in the smoothie, and eat them instead.

Here's the official statement from the Can I Have list:

Also, don't forget to add fat at each meal.

Hi, Yes I know, but made a massive smoothie for the kiddos.....I always have fat at a meal....it was almond butter and coconut oil in the smoothie, even on the salad and on the veggies at night, but thanks for the tips!

Today went well.  Breakfast is easy....eggs, no sugar added bacon (found it at whole foods), and blackberries for breakfast.  I made the Chili from the Well Fed week 1 menu and it was wonderful with some avocado on top...with a green salad.  Had the slow cooker pork from the same menu and it was really easy and yummy as well.  Had it with green veggies and a sweet potato.  The hardest part for me was I love my hot tea with milk and splenda in the morning.  Had it straight today...will take some time to get used to that.   I ordered some Tessemaes sauces for salad dressings(not here yet), some Chomps Beef Sticks and Rx Bars for on the go snacks.  I play golf two days a week and hike quite a bit, so those should work during those times.  Hope everyone had a good day.   :)

I started today!  This is my first time doing Whole30, although I've tried to eat mostly paleo for the last 3 years.  My husband and I recently moved to CA from CO, and all the change that came with that transition lead to a lot of unhealthy diet decisions (I mean, we're in the middle of wine country and there's an In-n-Out Burger just up the street).  I am in desparate need of a reset, so I'm very excited to take on the Whole30.  I'm hoping my energy levels and desire to be active increase dramatically.  I also have a stack of very cute professional pants that I purchased before the move for my new job that do not currently fit...so yeah, I want to be able to wear those. 

I had my first mayo fail last night, but I'm hopeful after reading all about what I was doing wrong and watching a few youtube videos that my next batch will be successful.  If I can make a compliant Ranch dressing I will be one happy camper! 

Best of luck, everyone!  Let's crush this!!

I found an avocado mayo that is compliant at Natural Grocers....taste pretty good.

Hi Everyone, hope day 1 went well! I FINALLY made a successful batch of mayo, I think the immersion blender in a mason jar is what works for me! Really happy I'll be able to make homemade ranch for raw veggies, chicken salad, tartar sauce for salmon cakes, etc...

I find my ability to make it a full 30 days is somewhat correlated to how active I am on the forums so I hope to keep checking in here frequently. I'm posting my meals on my whole30 log here: 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29779-whole3-post-baby/ 

Looking forward to starting day 2 with a fully stocked kitchen and a cup of coffee with coconut milk!

Today went pretty well

B- 2 hard boiled eggs and blueberries

L- green salad with tuna and oil and vinegar and cherries

D- baked salmon with compliant whole grain mustard, new potatoes with olive oil drizzle and a few grapes.

Made the chili for tomorrow's lunch

Day 1 down!

Tracy

Hello everyone,  First day went pretty good.  So glad I took my time getting prepared and preparing a menu.

B: Ground beef with a compliant 'home fries' sauté of onions, potatoes, green beans and red bell pepper.

L: Sliced chicken breast with raw veggies: tomato, avocado, mushrooms, cucumber, green onion plus a little oil and red vinegar.

D: Frozen shrimp with a compliant veggie sauté of asparagus, onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms. Later has some raspberries with coconut flakes.

Feeling pretty full, don't usually eat three meals like this.

I currently have Lyme Disease as well. I did my first round of Whole30 starting on April 27th and went strong for 41 days. It really helped with my Lyme Disease symptoms.

Hey AlisaO, thats great to hear that you had improvement with symptoms! My severe lack of energy and brain fog are at its worst so hoping this all helps.

Today went well. Breakfast is easy....eggs, no sugar added bacon (found it at whole foods), and blackberries for breakfast. I made the Chili from the Well Fed week 1 menu and it was wonderful with some avocado on top...with a green salad. Had the slow cooker pork from the same menu and it was really easy and yummy as well. Had it with green veggies and a sweet potato. The hardest part for me was I love my hot tea with milk and splenda in the morning. Had it straight today...will take some time to get used to that. I ordered some Tessemaes sauces for salad dressings(not here yet), some Chomps Beef Sticks and Rx Bars for on the go snacks. I play golf two days a week and hike quite a bit, so those should work during those times. Hope everyone had a good day. :)

Have you tried adding coconut milk to your tea instead?

Yea day 1 complete! Ive had a wicked headache all day and hit a wall in the afternoon so ended up taking a nap. Hard to tell if its my new lyme treatment or whole30 since i started both today. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen today but mainly because im on a staycation and didnt want to do a lot of prep.

My meals:

B - Sausage and sweet potato hash. Two slices of canteloupe.

L - BLT salad with egg.

S - hand of cashews and 5 grapes

D - Salt and Vinegar chicken wings with garlic roasted brussel sprouts.

I drank white chai tea for breakfast in place of coffee, la Croix in place of my diet soda, and tea at night in place of a beer. The hardest part will be the soda. I have been drinking soda daily since i was about 10 and have tried to kick it several times without success. This time WILL be different!

I had my first mayo fail last night, but I'm hopeful after reading all about what I was doing wrong and watching a few youtube videos that my next batch will be successful. If I can make a compliant Ranch dressing I will be one happy camper!

Best of luck, everyone! Let's crush this!!

Im gonna try and make mayo tomorrow. Crossing my fingers!

Good Morning everyone, what a great group and it sounds like everyone is off to a great start! When I did my first Whole 30 I remember feeling a lot of the same things I am reading about. The two that really stand out are the comments about not liking coffee or tea without milk and giving up soda. I never thought I would ever be able to make it through 30 days because of these two things. 

I started adding a teaspoon of coconut oil to my coffee and whipping it up with an emmersion blender - makes it frothy like a latte, then I sprinkle cinnamon on top. I now can no longer enjoy coffee any other way! And from a girl who drank 20 oz of diet coke (or more) a day probably for the last 25 years or so I can honestly say I don't miss it at all. If I want the bubbles seltzer works. And as far as wine or beer, just keep reminding yourself it's only 30 days, you will be able to enjoy those things again soon enough. 

Also, I think I read a post about RX bars being used as snacks, just an FYI they have been removed from the the Whole 30 allowed foods list  http://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

Happy Tuesday All!!

Day one complete, 120 oz of water. 3.25 miles run.

Meal 1- Egg Muffin with peppers, onions and mushrooms, a side of mixed vegetables and grapes.

Meal 2- Turkey Meatballs, with carrots and compliant guacamole

Meal 3- Pulled pork (no sauce), spinach and roasted sweet potato salad

Meal 4- one cup of blueberries and 10 almonds

I woke up with a horrible stomach ache and headache but pushing through.

Hello!  Sounds like everyone is doing great. 

Day 1 meals were:

M1: 2 hard-boiled eggs, tomato slices, grapes, and a handful of cashews/almonds

M2: zesty lime shrimp salad and an apple; I also ended up having a Larabar mid-afternoon (I realized my lunch meal didn't have enough fat to keep me going)

M3: chicken and apple sausage with mashed sweet potatoes (prepared with a little clarified butter and coconut milk)

Day 2 plans are:

M1: leftover zesty lime shrimp salad, adding avocado

M2: leftover chicken and apple sausage with mashed sweet potatoes

M3: grilled chicken breast with some roasted veggies and/or side salad (I prepped some compliant Italian vinaigrette)

Archived