July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

Day one complete, 120 oz of water. 3.25 miles run.

Meal 1- Egg Muffin with peppers, onions and mushrooms, a side of mixed vegetables and grapes.

Meal 2- Turkey Meatballs, with carrots and compliant guacamole

Meal 3- Pulled pork (no sauce), spinach and roasted sweet potato salad

Meal 4- one cup of blueberries and 10 almonds

I woke up with a horrible stomach ache and headache but pushing through.

The stomach ache could have been caused by raw veggies, nuts and/or not drinking enough water.

Be sure you're consuming at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, daily.

You might want to experiment with getting enough water, along with dropping the nuts and having more cooked veggies to see if that brings you relief.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!  Sounds like everyone is doing great. 

Day 1 meals were:

M1: 2 hard-boiled eggs, tomato slices, grapes, and a handful of cashews/almonds

M2: zesty lime shrimp salad and an apple; I also ended up having a Larabar mid-afternoon (I realized my lunch meal didn't have enough fat to keep me going)

M3: chicken and apple sausage with mashed sweet potatoes (prepared with a little clarified butter and coconut milk)

Day 2 plans are:

M1: leftover zesty lime shrimp salad, adding avocado

M2: leftover chicken and apple sausage with mashed sweet potatoes

M3: grilled chicken breast with some roasted veggies and/or side salad (I prepped some compliant Italian vinaigrette)

On the Lara bar, note that is recommended as emergency food only on a Whole30, not as a snack (emergency would be stuck in crazy traffic for hours, putting a significant time-span between your meals). If you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

My hunch is you were hungry because your earlier meals weren't big enough. When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal. Play with the portion sizes until you get to a place where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours. 

On the Lara bar, note that is recommended as emergency food only on a Whole30, not as a snack (emergency would be stuck in crazy traffic for hours, putting a significant time-span between your meals). If you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

My hunch is you were hungry because your earlier meals weren't big enough. When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal. Play with the portion sizes until you get to a place where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours. 

Thanks, this is helpful!  I definitely don't want to rely on Larabas (or similar types of things) going forward, so I will try to up my intake at meals.  I tend to get full with smaller portion sizes (and don't plan to eat beyond the point of being full), which makes sticking to the 3 meals/day guideline tricky...

Happy Day 2, Everyone!

My day 1 went fairly well. 

B: omelette w/ spinach and tomatoes, in avocado oil

L: compliant beef dog with a large salad and homemade oil/cider vinegar dressing

S: banana with hazelnut butter

D: beef bolognese with zoodles

I was hoping not to need the snack, but I don't think my lunch protein was sufficient, so I've corrected that for today's lunch. 

I also felt hungry in the evening a few hours after dinner, so I made some herbal tea. It was nice, but I later regretted consuming tea before bed  :unsure:

I did notice my energy was low towards the end of the day, but I know my energy levels will eventually reset, and I patiently, yet eagerly, await that day. 

COBOY im making the chili today. I made the tahini dressing and the sunshine dressing from Well Fed. The sunshine calls for sunbutter but could not find it w/o sugar so used cashew butter. It is SO GOOD!!!! Even my hubby likes it.

Hey AlisaO, thats great to hear that you had improvement with symptoms! My severe lack of energy and brain fog are at its worst so hoping this all helps.

As I'm sure you are aware, the symptoms will get worse at first before improving.  I'm sorry to hear about the brain fog and lack of energy.  I was at my worst last January, and I don't ever want to get to that point again.

The MaraNatha Sun Butter has no sugar....found it at Natural Grocers.  Thanks for the word about the RX Bars.   

Day Two...

B: 2 eggs, bacon, and berries

L: taco salad (lettuce, ground beef, sugar free salsa, avocado)

D: Roasted Pork, Sweet Potato, Green Veggies

Played 18 holes starting early this am and hit a wall at about 2pm.  Lucky for me, my two boys are 17 and 14 so independent.  I slept for about an hour and a half.  Had a Lime La Croix sparkling water after I woke up and that seemed to get me going.  The La Croix waters may be my saving grace in place of the evil Diet Coke ;)   Again...my hot tea with milk and splenda and sweetened ice tea are going to be the hardest part of these 30 days I think....but I will preserve!!!! 

The MaraNatha Sun Butter has no sugar....found it at Natural Grocers.  Thanks for the word about the RX Bars.   

Day Two...

B: 2 eggs, bacon, and berries

L: taco salad (lettuce, ground beef, sugar free salsa, avocado)

D: Roasted Pork, Sweet Potato, Green Veggies

Played 18 holes starting early this am and hit a wall at about 2pm.  Lucky for me, my two boys are 17 and 14 so independent.  I slept for about an hour and a half.  Had a Lime La Croix sparkling water after I woke up and that seemed to get me going.  The La Croix waters may be my saving grace in place of the evil Diet Coke ;)   Again...my hot tea with milk and splenda and sweetened ice tea are going to be the hardest part of these 30 days I think....but I will preserve!!!!

You might have hit the wall due to not eating enough.

If you had the LaCroix within an hour of waking, have at least a pre workout meal of protein and fat instead.

For your breakfast, when eggs are your sole protein, the portion size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

Bacon is closer to a fat on a Whole30 (make sure yours is compliant).

Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate: aim for 1-3 cups per meal.

Be sure to get a fat in at every meal too.

What did everyone eat today? Here is my recap:

B:

3 eggs, fried in a little olive oil

4 small fingerling potatoes

1/2 avocado

5 Asparagus spears

4 strawberries

Black coffee

L:

1 chicken breast w/regular Tobasco

5 asparagus spears

1/2 white sweet potato

Raw spinach, broccoli, carrots with balsamic vinegar

D:

1 piece of tilapia

4 fingerling potatoes

Sautéed kale (in olive oil)

Cucumber and tomatoe slices

Handful of cashews

So, I'm feeling a little behind on my prepping, but I'm powering through.  I bought all the groceries, but I definitely don't have enough "go to" quick items yet.  Thank goodness frozen shirmp sautees fast as my lunch break was cut a little short today.  My husband is not doing the entire program, but he eats whatever I put in front of him, and he was rather impressed with dinner last night :)

Here's my rundown from the last 2 days:

Day 1

B-2 hard boiled eggs, mango, small handful of walnuts

L-mixed greens, cherry tomato, orange bell pepper, green onion, black olives and ground beef drizzled with olive oil and a squeeze of lime

D-perfectly grilled tenderloin steak with the roasted garlic and shallot puree, and a sautee of green beans, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and onion in olive oil (both recipes from the book, excellent!)

Day 2

B-3 scrambled eggs, coffee with coconut milk (I meant to grab and apple, but I totally spaced it)

L-cooked frozen shirmp in a wok with some olive oil and added the juice of half a lemon when it was pink, then added leftover greenbeans from last night to the pan to heat through.  Totally on the fly, but it was delicious!

S-fuji apple slices and handful of walnuts (knew I'd get to that apple eventually!)

D-gonna start making the chicken caccitore recipe from the book as soon as I post this as well as some smashed fingerling potatoes.  I'm excited--I hope it's delicious--and there's leftovers!

I kinda feel like my "hangover" phase is looming.  I was a little tired after work today and have been nursing a weak headache for the last hour or so.  Hopefully a face full of chicken will help!

Press on, my friends!

My mainstays are ground beef w either tahini sauce or sunshine sauce, chicken thighs w same. Sauteed some spinach in coconut oil today for supper w ground beef, strawberries and raspberries. Need to get more veggies in. Bought vegetti and cant wait to spiral some cucumbers tmrw! :)

Hello All!!  I don't think I have gone two days without a diet coke since I had my last child and she will be 8 on Friday!!  I am determined to be successful on this venture as I want to be healthy, fit and feel good about myself.  My kids are being great and trying my new recipes.  So, day two in the books and still on track and feeling good about it. 

Hi all

Day 2 meals

B- 2 hard boiled eggs and blackberries

L- chili recipe from the book (yum!), green salad with tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, and O. Oil and vinegar. Grapes

D- grilled steak in OO, roasted asparagus

I'm feeling pretty good so far? I gave up caffeine years ago because I'm so sensitive to it so that makes it easier? Tried black decaf coffee, yuck and settled on decaf tea instead.

Day 2 down!

Day 2...

B - Sweet & Savory Blueberry Tortilla w/ carrot sticks   http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/20/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-tortilla/

L - Left over Grilled Chicken, Crash Hot Potatoes & Green Salad

D - Taco Salad (without all the taco-ey stuff, of course), pineapple & blueberries

This is my second round of Whole30, and I am surprised at how much easier this one is than the last.  I felt like I spent ALL of my time in the kitchen planning, prepping or eating.  Now it is just like riding a bike.  :D

Day 2 was a breeze. Just a small headache today which was huge compared to yesterday. I also didn't have to take a nap today. My biggest thing now is finding something besides eggs to eat for breakfast as my protein. I don't love eggs but I can tolerate them...not all 30 days though.

B: Sweet potato and Sausage hash, 2 eggs, and two slices of cantaloupe.

L: 3 Salt&Vinegar chicken wings with a cup of roasted brussel sprouts.

S: 4 apple slices and a handful of cashews.

D: Shrimp Coconut Curry with Roasted Cauliflower Rice.

Day 2 was a breeze. Just a small headache today which was huge compared to yesterday. I also didn't have to take a nap today. My biggest thing now is finding something besides eggs to eat for breakfast as my protein. I don't love eggs but I can tolerate them...not all 30 days though.

B: Sweet potato and Sausage hash, 2 eggs, and two slices of cantaloupe.

L: 3 Salt&Vinegar chicken wings with a cup of roasted brussel sprouts.

S: 4 apple slices and a handful of cashews.

D: Shrimp Coconut Curry with Roasted Cauliflower Rice.

The sooner you stop thinking in terms of traditional breakfast, and start thinking in terms of meal one, two & three the quicker you will realise that you can eat anything at meal one that you'd eat at any other time of the day. Take a look at this thread for some inspiration...  :) 

I'd also suggest upping the size of your meals to negate the need for that snack - you'll see much better results in the long term.

Hi all

Day 2 meals

B- 2 hard boiled eggs and blackberries

L- chili recipe from the book (yum!), green salad with tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, and O. Oil and vinegar. Grapes

D- grilled steak in OO, roasted asparagus

I'm feeling pretty good so far? I gave up caffeine years ago because I'm so sensitive to it so that makes it easier? Tried black decaf coffee, yuck and settled on decaf tea instead.

Day 2 down!

You're gonna need to start eating more for meal one or you'll eventually start to flag...

A serving of eggs, when they are your only source of protein, should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - which 3-4 for most people. Also, you've no veggies with this meal - fruit should not push the veggies off your plate, and when eaten first thing in the morning having fasted overnight can play havoc with your blood sugars & set you up for a crash later in the day...

So, I'm feeling a little behind on my prepping, but I'm powering through.  I bought all the groceries, but I definitely don't have enough "go to" quick items yet.  Thank goodness frozen shirmp sautees fast as my lunch break was cut a little short today.  My husband is not doing the entire program, but he eats whatever I put in front of him, and he was rather impressed with dinner last night :)

Here's my rundown from the last 2 days:

Day 1

B-2 hard boiled eggs, mango, small handful of walnuts

L-mixed greens, cherry tomato, orange bell pepper, green onion, black olives and ground beef drizzled with olive oil and a squeeze of lime

D-perfectly grilled tenderloin steak with the roasted garlic and shallot puree, and a sautee of green beans, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and onion in olive oil (both recipes from the book, excellent!)

Day 2

B-3 scrambled eggs, coffee with coconut milk (I meant to grab and apple, but I totally spaced it)

L-cooked frozen shirmp in a wok with some olive oil and added the juice of half a lemon when it was pink, then added leftover greenbeans from last night to the pan to heat through.  Totally on the fly, but it was delicious!

S-fuji apple slices and handful of walnuts (knew I'd get to that apple eventually!)

D-gonna start making the chicken caccitore recipe from the book as soon as I post this as well as some smashed fingerling potatoes.  I'm excited--I hope it's delicious--and there's leftovers!

I kinda feel like my "hangover" phase is looming.  I was a little tired after work today and have been nursing a weak headache for the last hour or so.  Hopefully a face full of chicken will help!

Press on, my friends!

Again, don't go skipping the veggies at breakfast - these will provide energy & give you that nice full feeling. Even if you'd grabbed that apple there were no veggies on your plate on either day for meal one!

A good, solid breakfast is key to making it through the day without crashing, or without snacking. The rest of your meals look pretty good so don't let that meal one let you down!

To anyone having trouble also getting veggies at breakfast, try eating fried eggs on a bed of baby spinach- it gets slightly wilted and delicious AND you don't have to cook or prep it at all! Last night before bed I baked a sweet potato and this morning I sliced it into rounds and sautéed in ghee to eat with our fried eggs on spinach, that was also amazing and I think we'll be eating this for breakfast regularly! 

I'm also super impressed with how many people are quitting soda (especially diet coke!). What a life-changer! I used to have an afternoon diet coke every day when I worked in publishing (AT A HEALTH AND WELLNESS COMPANY!) and only quit when I got pregnant- I haven't looked back since and can honestly say it's been the healthiest decision I ever made. Good luck everyone!

Day 3 - How is everyone doing? Day 1 and 2 went very well for me but yesterday afternoon I did feel tired. This morning my wokrout suffered a bit but I pushed through. These have been my meals:

Day 1 

B: Paleo Breakfast burrito with a side of strawberries. Fat was coconut oil in my coffee.

L: Chicken Waldorf Salad with a side of beets and cucumbers  Fat was walnuts on salad.

D: Steak Salad with a side of green beans. Fat was an avocado.

Day 2

B: Paleo Breakfast stuffed peppers and sweet potato. Fat was almond butter.

L: Steak with pineapple salsa. Side of carrots, celery and cucumber. Fat was almonds.

D: Turkey Taco Salad. Fat was avocado.

Day 3

B: Paleo Breakfast stuffed peppers with pineapple and strawberries. Fat was almond butter.

L: Cauliflower Chowder + Hard boiled egg + potato. Fat will be ghee in the chowder.

D: Chicken BLT salad - Fat will be avocado. 

I thought I would feel sick eating so much protein and fat but instead my stomach feels less bloated and flatter. 

Day 2 now behind me. I'm finding I am one of those "always hungry" people, and need to keep adjusting until I can get it right. 

B: omelette with tomato & spinach, compliant bacon

L: 2 compliant beef hot dogs with garden salad, homemade dressing (doubled the protein from yesterday)

D: red curry chicken with spinach on a bed of coconut cauliflower "rice"

S2: coconut cauliflower "rice"

I definitely did not want to eat a second snack, and I tried to wait it out and drank some water. Since it had been a few hours past dinner, I decided to stop giving myself a hard time and just had some more "rice". 

I'm finding it difficult to figure out how to adjust the meals as I do focus on only eating (at a table, no distractions), and I pay attention to when I feel satiated. I'm starting to think I should try 4 meals instead of 3. Thoughts from anyone?

Also, this morning was a bit rough. Had a headache and no energy. I felt like a zombie, but after about 90 minutes was feeling like myself again. 

Day 3 - How is everyone doing? Day 1 and 2 went very well for me but yesterday afternoon I did feel tired. This morning my wokrout suffered a bit but I pushed through. These have been my meals:

Day 1 

B: Paleo Breakfast burrito with a side of strawberries. Fat was coconut oil in my coffee.

L: Chicken Waldorf Salad with a side of beets and cucumbers  Fat was walnuts on salad.

D: Steak Salad with a side of green beans. Fat was an avocado.

Day 2

B: Paleo Breakfast stuffed peppers and sweet potato. Fat was almond butter.

L: Steak with pineapple salsa. Side of carrots, celery and cucumber. Fat was almonds.

D: Turkey Taco Salad. Fat was avocado.

Day 3

B: Paleo Breakfast stuffed peppers with pineapple and strawberries. Fat was almond butter.

L: Cauliflower Chowder + Hard boiled egg + potato. Fat will be ghee in the chowder.

D: Chicken BLT salad - Fat will be avocado. 

I thought I would feel sick eating so much protein and fat but instead my stomach feels less bloated and flatter. 

When you say burrito do you mean like a wrap? As this would be off limits during your Whole30 even if made with compliant ingredients.

I think you could probably do with upping the size of your meals - and particularly the fat content - to help with your energy. Are you drinking half your body weight in ounces of water daily?

Day 2 now behind me. I'm finding I am one of those "always hungry" people, and need to keep adjusting until I can get it right. 

B: omelette with tomato & spinach, compliant bacon

L: 2 compliant beef hot dogs with garden salad, homemade dressing (doubled the protein from yesterday)

D: red curry chicken with spinach on a bed of coconut cauliflower "rice"

S2: coconut cauliflower "rice"

I definitely did not want to eat a second snack, and I tried to wait it out and drank some water. Since it had been a few hours past dinner, I decided to stop giving myself a hard time and just had some more "rice". 

I'm finding it difficult to figure out how to adjust the meals as I do focus on only eating (at a table, no distractions), and I pay attention to when I feel satiated. I'm starting to think I should try 4 meals instead of 3. Thoughts from anyone?

Also, this morning was a bit rough. Had a headache and no energy. I felt like a zombie, but after about 90 minutes was feeling like myself again. 

How many eggs are in your omelette? When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand which is 3-4 for most people. A good breakfast will set you up for the rest of the day & maybe help cut out the need for those snacks. Maybe try increasing the fat in each of your meals too - it's not really clear how much you're eating but I'm guessing it's not enough. You may also do well to add in some starchy veg (all varieties of potato, yams, plantains, squash etc) - a fist sized serving per day would be a good place to start...

Hope this helps!

Archived