What to eat on long bike rides

Shea74

I can ride 20 miles and be okay with eating before and after but anything longer much than that and I'm STARVING. I used to do shot blocks and quest bars but I don't think that's whole 30 compliant. ;) I'm thinking a banana for sure but does anyone have better suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I had a hard time on my ride today. I ate eggs and potatoes with some veggies for breakfast. Rode an hour later (mountain bike). It didn't give me the right kind of energy.

Are you new to Whole30, carekerr?  What day are you on? Often if you are at the beginning, you may have lead legs and reduced energy/endurance.  This is a completely normal part of converting over to being a fat adapted person as opposed to one whose body uses sugar for fuel.  Feel free to dial the exercise back a bit while your body gets adjusted.  :)

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, yesterday was day 6, so still new. I haven't been pushing workouts too hard, mostly for time limitations. Getting a grip on the food prep is taking a lot of time. My legs felt ok, like I was able to get up and over rocks and power through stuff, but my head felt a bit foggy, I had a bad headache and it was similar to a "bonkish" feeling. Just tired. I slept 11 hours that night, which I tend to do every so often when my body is fighting. I have a blood disorder that complicates things a bit. I never know what the real issue is, which is a big part of why I am doing the Whole30. If there's something that I can control to keep me healthier (and riding strong because that's what I love to do) then I want to figure that out.

I went for a ride today and totally bonked at 10 miles. Had potatoes & eggs for breakfast, two sweet potatoes, a boiled egg and nectarine for lunch, a banana and Larabar before the ride, and plenty of water. I'm on day 6 of the Whole30 but ate "clean" last week (although not totally Whole30 compliant).

It's HOT here, so I'm hoping that was part of the problem, but I'd love suggestions for Whole30-compliant electrolyte-type drinks that might help to keep me hydrated.

Thanks in advance!

I went for a ride today and totally bonked at 10 miles. Had potatoes & eggs for breakfast, two sweet potatoes, a boiled egg and nectarine for lunch, a banana and Larabar before the ride, and plenty of water. I'm on day 6 of the Whole30 but ate "clean" last week (although not totally Whole30 compliant).

It's HOT here, so I'm hoping that was part of the problem, but I'd love suggestions for Whole30-compliant electrolyte-type drinks that might help to keep me hydrated.

Thanks in advance!

Start with eating more at your meals. :-)

When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

Where were your fats at breakfast and lunch?

The pre workout recommendation is protein and fat. No fruit. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30 and Lara bars are emergency food only.

Thanks, Chris. I had coconut oil emulsified into my coffee and clarified butter on the sweet potatoes. I also used clarified butter in the eggs/potatoes (it was actually a frittata that I cooked last night. I browned the potatoes in the clarified butter before adding the eggs and baking. I used 12 eggs to make the dish but had 1/4 of it for breakfast. Next time I'll have a side of avocado. I'm so conditioned to thinking that carbs are what I "need" pre-workout that I didn't even think about upping my fat.

I did go against my better judgement in eating the Larabar, but I was worried I hadn't had enough to eat to sustain the ride so I grabbed it on my way out the door. For the record, I felt like I had a lump in my  stomach afterwards so definitely I won't be doing that again. :)

No bananas/fruit before workouts is news to me, though. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that?

I appreciate your insight!

No bananas/fruit before workouts is news to me, though. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that?

I appreciate your insight!

The idea is to switch from sugar-burning to being more fat-adapted on a Whole30.

This concept has been discussed extensively in the past on the forum. Here is one representative thread.http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20619-difficulty-running-when-does-this-fat-adapted-thing-kick-in/

Archived