Whole 30 and Orange Theory Fitness (hiit) help!

evalafemme

Hello! I work out at Orange Theory Fitness (3 x a week) and just started another round of whole 30 today. Has anyone had success blending the two? My body tends to hold onto weight when I do intensive exercising so I'm a little concerned. I have 30 pounds to lose so I don't want to stall it in any way.

Background:

My first whole 30 was really successful in many ways including weight loss. I jogged couch to 5k 3 x a week and lost 11 lbs in that month.

I would love for that to happen again but I am burning an average of 550 calories for every Orange Theory class I take, so obviously it's a lot more intense vs jogging a couch to 5k.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Success stories?

Hi Eva,

Before I answer your question, I would ask you to first reframe your intro statements. You talk about your body holding onto weight, you have 30lbs of weight to lose, your first whole30 was successful in weight loss, etc. "Weight" and "fat" aren't the same things, even though we often use them interchangeably.

High intensity interval training is VERY good for fat loss. VERY! However, most of those programs happen to also be high volume, which encourages muscle growth. In my opinion, those are both great qualities, but somebody whose sights are focused solely on what the scale says, probably wouldn't agree.  This is why we require you to get off the scale during your Whole30. So many other things are going on...and if you're getting fitter, it's completely possible that you could weigh the same at the beginning and end of your Whole30, while totally changing your body comp and proportions.

So reframe what you're actually looking to do, NOT using the number on the scale...because it's not giving you a clear picture. HIIT 3x a week sounds great, but make sure you're eating a bunch of starchy veggies after you're done. HIIT's really easy to overdo and if you're under fueling, you'll notice (and stall out)

Thanks for your reply. Of course weight and fat are different so I will reframe the question.

I would like for the number on the scale to move in a downwards direction. Should I continue my HIIT training 3 x per week or instead go down to 2 days with some yoga so my body doesn't stall out.

I appreciate your candor though I have to say that there isn't anything wrong with wanting to lose weight and, those of us who do, shouldn't be shamed for it.

I would like for the number on the scale to move in a downwards direction. 

no, shame, no, but confusion for sure. 

Why do you care about the number on the scale? Losing fat is what actually makes a person look different or fit into clothes differently. If changing the scale number is your highest priority, your best bet would be to stop working out altogether (avoid building any muscle) and eat less, but I just can't believe that is what you want. Is that what you want?

The number on the scale has been huge to me for years. I finally evicted my scale, sending it to live in my mother's garage for an indefinite period of time. I did my measurements before starting my Whole30, and set a goal regarding my waist size. Not exactly a goal per se, but a "hope to see happen." I have struggled the past year and a half with the scale. I started lifting 11 months ago, and never stopped to consider how that might be affecting the scale. I think what I see in the mirror, how my clothes look has GOT to become more important to me than the scale. In fact, it's become easier for me to eat more healthfully (is that even a word??) WITHOUT the scale.

I always thought, "If I weigh X, I can go eat <insert unhealthy treat here>." If I wasn't that weight, I'd just get mad and eat it anyhow. Then one "treat" turned into the day, and if that day was a Friday.....well, might as well just stuff my face all weekend and restart Monday. Of course, Monday came, and I felt like garbage: physically and mentally. And the cycle went on and on. And where did it start?? With that CURSED SCALE. Thanks, Whole30 moderators and community for encouraging me to break up with my scale. I still have my moments of struggle mentally with it not being here, like "How will I know I'm not eating too much?" But it's a process, it takes time, and I'm learning to be patient with myself through all these changes I've been making over the past month.

Just my experience so far. :-)

Archived