In a big caloric deficit!!

On this diet I have found that I am at least 900 to 1000 calories short of my minimum requirement using a multiplier of 11 per pound of body fat, which is used for a sedentary person because I sit most of the day as I recover from surgery. The concerning thing for me is that I am NOT hungry. I know that according to health and fitness standards I need to make my minimum calories and that it is not healthy to be in too large of a deficit . Is it okay for me to consume those extra calories from approved foods even if I am NOT particularly hungry?

It is not as straight forward as Calories in versus Calories out - if it were then calorie restriction would work & it very clearly doesn't. There are all kinds of factors that can effect the amount food an individual needs for fuel, and in your simple equation you're not allowing for them. And remember that not all calories are created equal. (eg. think about 100kcal sugar v 100kcal kale for instance)

That said, are you sure you are eating as per the recommended meal template with 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein per meal, 1-3 cups of veggies (more of raw), and a thumb sized piece of fat (or a handful of olives, dollop of mayo etc)? Remembering that these recommendations are the minimum and you can eat more....

Ultimately you should not be counting calories, or tracking macros on Whole30, but rather listening to your body's satiety signals and aiming to eat three template meals per day, the first within an hour of wakening, that keep you satisfied for 4-5hrs.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food & liquid intake, along with stress/sleep/activity levels we can help you troubleshoot & identify any tweaks that could be made..

jmcbn,

I posted my food diary from the last few days. I have not been working out like I normally do because I am on bed rest. As you can see in the logs, I am not making any of my Macros for the day, except maybe Fat on a couple days or so. I am worried that I am not eating enough and I don't want it to affect my health because I plan on following this diet, with some tweaks for heavy lifting, after I am done with the 30 days. I am normally hungry a lot but since starting whole 30 I am not as hungry come meal time.

I Sleep 7-10 hours a night. I have very little stress since being on the diet but I work as a police officer so normally my stress is high. I am in the gym at least 3 times a week doing weight training/ HIIT. For the last two and half weeks though I have been on bed rest though due to a surgery. I hope you can work with this better than my original post.

Printable Nutrition Report for Joshuajones6 23, July.pdf

Printable Nutrition Report for Joshuajones6 24 July.pdf

Printable Nutrition Report for Joshuajones6 25 July.pdf

Printable Nutrition Report for Joshuajones6 26 July.pdf

Ok, you are not eating enough.  :)

Have you seen the recommended meal template?   For best results, build each meal to have 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and a compliant fat. I see some of your meals are missing veggies or fat. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in 1 hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's at least 3-4 eggs. 

Avoid having fruit as a snack: reserve that to have with your main meals only. If you're genuinely hungry between meals, the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

Ok, a couple of things.....

You need to stop counting calories & tracking macros, and you need to stop using whatever software you're using to do so.

You need to make better food choices & you need to eat more - of everything, but particularly veggies & fats. The recommendation for veggies is 1-3 cups with 3 being the optimum. I eat 3 at every meal and I'm guessing I'm a lot smaller than you are. When eggs are your sole source of protein you should be eating as many whole eggs as yu can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. You're a male, you'll have bigger hands, which means you can probably hold 5.

You're eating quite a bit of fruit - I'd drop that right down to the max of 2 servings per day and I'd leave it until meal 2 or 3. Nuts are a poor fat source due to their omega 3:6 ratio, & can be hard on the digestive system - keep them & the nut butter to a minimum. Your breakfast today of fruit, nut butter & a larabar pretty much set you up for a crash later in the day - larabars are for emergency use only, and given that you're on bed rest I doubt you'll be straying so far from your kitchen with compliant foods to find yourself in any kind of emergency...

Build all of the meals to the template and you'll find yourself in a happier place.

jmcbn,

I guess I am trying to incorporate two different dieting principles, weight training/body building, and Whole30, and guess that is where I am getting discombobulated. Those two can't coexist and Whole30 is not designed to be that way, rather bring my body to a state of homeostasis and for me to get more in tune with my body and it's food needs. I am not training right now, because I am laid up so you are right, I should not be concerned with my caloric intake and macros so much and be more concerned with eating the right kinds of foods while listening to my body and what it is telling me. Thanks a bunch. I have a clearer direction now.

-Josh

Archived