3 night hotel stay - no microwave or kitchen

TripleM

My husband and I are on day 9 of our first W30. He has a work trip to St. Louis this week and our daughter and I are tagging along. We've been trying to plan out our meals and what food to pack - I do not want to veer off W30 after all the hard work we've put in so far and I know that planning and preparation are key here. I read through this forum and also the "what's in my cooler" post and got lots of great ideas. However, I just called to double-check the room accommodations and found out our room only has a mini-fridge and no microwave. And now I'm freaking out a little. I'm new at this, and would normally just eat fast food and whatever I felt like when we were traveling, you know, since I was on "vacation". Clearly that's not my mindset anymore!

I know there are some good restaurants we can go to that will have compliant meals, but we don't eat out much (12 month old baby takes some of the fun out of that right now ;)). There is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's, so we can hit up both of those also. Should we just plan to take everything already cooked and eat it cold? We were already planning to take a cooler, so we can keep food in there that won't fit in the mini-fridge. We have a crockpot, but it's one of the huge ones - would that be worth hauling with us?

Any ideas? I'm feeling really overwhelmed all the sudden, since it's Sunday night and we leave tomorrow! I'm a Type A planner and normally would have already had everything cooked and ready for the cooler! HELP!!

Ok I have settled down a bit but am still a little overwhelmed! I am getting ready to roast a chicken, so we can take left overs with us. Will take spinach/lettuce mix for salads, deli meat wraps as Melissa and Dallas suggested in the cooler article, will make a fritatta or egg muffins tonight to bring with us, buy salsa and guacamole at Whole Foods...

Any other ideas that have helped you?

Buy a cheap rice cooker. You can cook a frittata in a rice cooker. You can also steam veggies, chicken, and fish in it, and make hard-boied eggs, too. Google "rice cooker recipes." You will be amazed.

You can bake sweet potatoes in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours, depending on the size.

When we travel (we travel a lot) I buy compliant lunch meat, I make a dozen hard-boiled eggs and cook up a pound of bacon, I cut up raw veggies and throw everything in a cooler. I also bring a lot of fruits and nuts.

Hope this helps.

Whole Foods will likely have a salad bar where you can get salad fixings and then load them up with avocado and your roasted chicken. I travel with canned salmon too, easy to dump on a salad or mix up with avocado and wrap in lettuce. My local Whole Food will steam or bake fish that you buy in the fish market but I know not all of them will do that so you can check...

Hard boiled eggs are easy as well as deli meat with cut up veggies. Trail mix for snacking is easy as is apples and nut butter. I freeze my egg muffins or frittata and then take it out the night before breakfast and it is generally ready to eat by morning.

Thanks again all! We had a great day traveling yesterday...stopped at a nice grassy rest stop and pulled out some chicken salad and a big container of lettuce with other veggies mixed in for big salads. Baby crawled around and we ate. It was so nice to eat outside, especially knowing we were eating GOOD food and not spending any money in a greasy fast food place! As soon as we got into town we stopped at Whole Foods...we were like kids in a candy store! We don't have one where we live, so we were so excited to see all this yummy, fresh, compliant food! Especially all kinds of things we've been reading about but haven't had access to. So fun.

The one bummer is that we forgot to pack the frittata we made before we left, so breakfast was a disappointment this morning. They have a breakfast buffet (complimentary for military), but not much we could eat. I asked about the eggs and they are out of a carton...no thanks! I grabbed some fruit for later and made do with what we have in our room, but I sure was excited for the chicken and asparagus frittata my husband made before we left!! :(

Archived