Bison Burgers and Leftover Soup

janer1114

two questions in one post:

1) anyone have an amazing recipe for bison burgers?? I'm making some tonight and am about to start researching....

2) i have leftover silky zucchini soup in the fridge.  I made it on Sunday, July 19...it has chicken and beef stock in it....do you think it's still ok to eat??

thanks!

Personally, I don't eat leftovers after 5 days either, but without scientific reason.

However... you don't want good food to go to waste, man.  I'd heat that up on the stove, give it a good stir, smell, and give a small taste. 

Right?  haha

• Moderators

I go by the smell test... if it smells okay, I eat it... rotten food when heated has the most disgusting smell so you'll know right away if that soup is fit for consumption.

I do all my cooking on Sunday for the week and I eat the last of the pork burgers or cooked chicken on Saturday, so that's 7 days... never been sick or had to throw stuff out... 

I have taken food handler training (sani-safe) and I ditch anything after 4 days. If I think I am going to run close to not getting it consumed, I freeze in a single layer (meat patties, meat balls, and the like) or I freeze broth in small amounts so that it freezes quickly. And I re-heat quickly as well, bring my soups and broths to a boil before consuming. 

You CAN re boil stock and 'reset' its clock and have another 4 days on it, but I wouldn't trust that more than once, and you would need to boil for 20 minutes. I say freeze it, or if when in doubt, throw it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I agree with the senses test. Based on how the item looks, smells and the situation (what is it, what container was it in, how many times has it come in and out of the fridge), I'll determine if we are going to eat it. Sometimes that's a 5 or 6 day duration and sometimes it's 4 or less. We have never had food poisoning from something that I have cooked at home.

I have chucked food out just before we've gone to eat it though because it smelled funky or I just had a weird "sense" that we shouldn't eat it.

Depending on what it is, I usually feel okay with 5 days. Stuff I make on the weekend, I try to eat by the end of the work week (Friday). I make a point of going through my fridge every weekend. If I make an extra batch of soup (which I usually do), if it doesn't look like I will be able to consume it by the mid-week, I freeze it.  Soup reconstitutes very well!

I think another thing to keep in mind is how often you've gone "in and out" of that container, i.e. how many times you've opened it up, scooped out a serving, and put it back in the fridge. There's a difference between an item that has been able to sit undisturbed for 4-5 days in the fridge versus something that you've opened a million times and potentially introduced additional bacteria.

That said, I'm another vote for the sniff/sense test. Sometimes even when something smells okay, I just have this feeling that I shouldn't put it in my mouth so it goes in the trash.

Archived