Fat and Snack?

I'm 11 days into my second Whole 30 (did it last year). I haven't done it with much accountability though as far as what I'm actually eating everyday. The daily emails recommended posting meals so I started doing that. As I'm doing it, I realize I think I'm doing a couple things I'm not supposed to do. I did read the book...maybe I should re-read though! It was a year ago! It feels impossible for me to go without a snack between lunch and dinner. I usually want fruit and fat when it comes to the snack. Before the Whole 30, I ate a snack every afternoon and dessert every night after dinner. I'm so used to eating EXTRA! Also, I hang with the kids a lot (stay at home mom). When the kids have summer treats like ice cream or something, I feel like I'm still doing "good" with having a snack because I'm not eating what they're eating. Also, I'm using canned coconut milk in my coffee and wondering if I'm using too much. I just looked back at the meal template and that was helpful. I think I will post it on my fridge. I'm wondering if I post my food here for last 2 days if you can recommend where I should change? Do you think I will die if I don't snack between lunch and dinner?? It feels impossible to do!

Day 10:

M1: 2 c coffee w canned coc milk, 3 scrambled eggs over spinach, tomato, drizzled w olive oil

Workout: Crossfit-Deadlift/Kettlebell/run workout

M2: ate apple and handful macadamia nuts when prepping. Chicken w/ cabbage slaw w/ Paleo spicy almond coconut sauce

Snack: Decaf black tea w/ coc milk
1banana with cashew butter

One more decaf black tea--no milk

M3: flank steak, 1/2 sweet potato w clarified butter and cinnamon, butter lettuce, red onion, toasted pecans w olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Day 11-

Coffee with coconut milk

Workout: Intervals with Arc Trainer and physical therapy shoulder exercises. Very frustrated today because shoulder hurt when I was doing 3 of the lifting exercises and had to stop those. Left gym bummed at the end, fighting frustration. Hoping shoulder improves and that I will be able to use it without pain and lift weights too!

Went to Sunsplash with the kids today. Saw milkshakes and icees, fries, and burgers, ice cream...stood strong.

M1: Another coffee w/ canned coconut milk (put less in. I'm realizing I'm probably using too much of this). Flank steak w/ 2 fried eggs, orange sweet pepper, fresh basil, parsley, tomato, drizzled with olive oil.

M2: Canned salmon, paleo mayo, capers, raisins, celery, green onions, pinenuts.

Snack: Peach with toasted pecans

M3: Shrimp with clarified butter & garlic over zucchini "noodles", pinenuts, olive oil, cayenne pepper, seasoning.

Decaf black tea with little canned coconut milk

Sure: post away!

In general, we recommend only eating between meals if you're genuinely hungry (not out of habit). The litmus test for that is to ask yourself if you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat. Otherwise do something non food related.

For optimal hormonal balance, the idea is to build meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. It's completely doable: thousands of Whole30ers have done it, and you can too!

Thank you for the feedback and encouragement. Okay!! Yes, if lots of other people have done this (and maybe I'm not totally unique...the ONLY one who is different (= ), it must be possible! I'm going to go hang the meal template on the fridge. Thank you (=

I also am working on getting lunch properly built to last til dinner. I did it yesterday, and I actually made it 6 hours. And in those hours I taught a one hour cycling class. Breakfast holds me well and dinner too, but I still usually get hungry around 3. I'm getting better at it. I guess it just takes practice.

Whoops: we posted at the same time!

Have you tried adding pre and/or post workout meals? That may help.

I'd also suggest adding more carb-dense veggies and more veggies in general. 1-3 cups per meal (carb-dense veg is a fist-sized serving). Have the whole sweet potato.

If you have more than a 5 hour stretch between meals, it's fine to have what you're eating in between, if you're hungry.

Make sure you're also drinking 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Thanks Chris! I will try those things. I haven't done pre and post workout meals since starting. I will try that. The whoooollle sweet potato??? Whooohoooo! I will check my water. I'm going to calculate now. I am going to pay attention to that template for fat intake too.

I have a really hard time getting from lunch to dinner without a snack. It is usually 6 hours until dinner and I usually eat something around the 4 hour mark.

I feel you Sheena! Maybe with your schedule it is ok?? I'm new at this though.

Thanks Chris! I will try those things. I haven't done pre and post workout meals since starting. I will try that. The whoooollle sweet potato??? Whooohoooo! I will check my water. I'm going to calculate now. I am going to pay attention to that template for fat intake too.

Post WO I just eat like 2-4 bites of chicken breast and a few slices of sweet potato that I keep in the fridge. Pre-WO is just a hard boiled egg, which worked just fine before an almost 90 minute run on Sunday, so should suffice for most regular workouts probably.

Archived