tapioca flour or sweet potato flour

virago

I saw the post saying tapioca flour was ok, but also saw some posts elsewhere online saying it is highly processed and a bad idea...

Has anyone used tapioca flour in breads, muffins, etc other than brazilian (cheese) bread... or tried that without the cheese?

Alternatively, anyone tried sweet potato flour? Assuming that's ok too..

thanks

One of the reasons this is not a great idea is that you are trying to incorporate elements of your old, unhealthy ways (e.g. muffins, breads, etc.) into your new lifestyle. That's a psychological no-no. Another reason is because tapioca flour is a highly processed item.

I'd steer clear and focus on eating those meats, seafood, eggs, etc.

• Moderators

Jensen is correct. You can use tapioca flour, sweet potato flour, coconut flour, etc. to thicken a broth or to coat some meat before browning it, but recreating conventional foods like bread or muffins is not okay during a Whole30.

Oh, oops. I made some morning glory muffins with almond flour, carrot, apple, coconut and coconut oil that i figured were okay since they didn't include any ingredients that were off limits. Not having them all day, every day, so i figured one every couple days was ok.

Momlatte-

Looking at the ingredients, I don't know how much like oatmeal it's gonna turn out to be...

Honestly, that's a really personal one. If you have to doctor it up with a bunch of fruit to tke it palatable, then its a no go. If you really struggle with missing your morning oatmeal, you should probably pass. And, because of the flax seed, you'll want to limit this one anyway. That said, I feel like you can give this one a try as long as you keep it compliant.

• 5 weeks later...

What about organic yeast extract?

I have this organic chicken broth that has organic spices in it but also contains "organic potato flour and organic yeast extract," would that not be okay for the Whole30? I only use a little bit of it in a pan when cooking my chicken..

• Moderators

What about organic yeast extract?

I have this organic chicken broth that has organic spices in it but also contains "organic potato flour and organic yeast extract," would that not be okay for the Whole30? I only use a little bit of it in a pan when cooking my chicken..

Organic yeast extract seems to be a way that food producers hide MSG from consumers. The industry claims it isn't true, but there is enough overlap between the ingredients that you should avoid foods made with organic yeast extract. In addition, potato flour, just like whole potatoes, is out during a Whole30.

Actually, yeast extract in your broth is not forbidden. Would we prefer your broth didn't have additives? Sure! Who wouldn't? But youre fine to use one with the extract (but not potato starch). See Melissa's answer here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2989-yeast-extract/page__hl__%22yeast+extract%22__fromsearch__1

Archived