I made ghee?????

jeanbean

I made my first batch of ghee using kerrygold butter. I used a cheesecloth!!!! A cheesecloth!!! something that would have frightened me out of the kitchen before. Making ghee is a big step for me. Im only on day 3 but im beginning to enjoy cooking more and more. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just made my first batch of ghee, too! I am nervous about eating it though, because I'm not sure I did it right. If anyone can help, please comment! 

So I put three large sticks (like really large) into my crockpot, turned it on high and covered it for 45 minutes ish before I remembered you aren't supposed to cover it. A little while after, I noticed a lot of bright yellow substance forming on the bottom, with the clear melted butter and then the foam on top. So I stirred it.... it started to boil really quickly and the yellow film went away, but so did most of the foam on top. I waited for it to reaturn, but most of it didn't, just a little. It started getting brown and carmelizing, so I turned the heat off and double strained it.

Does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should eat it? Did all the proteins get out? I'm very sensitive to dairy protein, so it's not just messing up my whole 30 I'm worried about....

I made my first batch of ghee using kerrygold butter. I used a cheesecloth!!!! A cheesecloth!!! something that would have frightened me out of the kitchen before. Making ghee is a big step for me. Im only on day 3 but im beginning to enjoy cooking more and more. :)

Hi there jeanbean.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!   My husband and I started on Aug 13 and he went shopping for me and had a hard time finding cheesecloth, but found it.  When I made ghee -- I felt the same as you.  It makes you feel you can conquer the world.  AND you know what jeanbean, you can.  Now make mayo...and there will be no stopping you.  And once you do that....the sky's the limit.

FYI, I am loving the cooking.  I said to my husband, when was the last time we ate this good.  WE ARE LOVING THE FOOD.   Suggestion:  try the grilled steak w/shallot-garlic puree and grilled avocado.  I made it tonight and the shallot-garlic puree is to die for.

I want to wish you great success and that you go from strength to strength.  It's a great journey.  Knock 'em dead :D

I just made my first batch of ghee, too! I am nervous about eating it though, because I'm not sure I did it right. If anyone can help, please comment! 

So I put three large sticks (like really large) into my crockpot, turned it on high and covered it for 45 minutes ish before I remembered you aren't supposed to cover it. A little while after, I noticed a lot of bright yellow substance forming on the bottom, with the clear melted butter and then the foam on top. So I stirred it.... it started to boil really quickly and the yellow film went away, but so did most of the foam on top. I waited for it to reaturn, but most of it didn't, just a little. It started getting brown and carmelizing, so I turned the heat off and double strained it.

Does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should eat it? Did all the proteins get out? I'm very sensitive to dairy protein, so it's not just messing up my whole 30 I'm worried about....

Hi bailey derby,

I followed the recipe for clarified butter on page 183 in the WHOLE 30 book.   I used a saucepan and you really have to watch it cooking (medium-low heat) so you can continuously skim off the dairy solids - once it looks clear then you pour thru a cheesecloth for further clarifying.  I think in your attempt to make it easier, you didn't.  You may want to check out the recipe.    GOOD LUCK.

Archived