On the Go Breakfast?

Lissa Kristine

So, I have lunch and dinner planned out for tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to do for breakfast. I leave the house very early in the morning, so I like to bring my breakfast with me. However, I'm already having eggs for lunch tomorrow, so I don't want to have them for breakfast too!

To complicate things, I cannot have nuts for breakfast due to my workplace.

Thing is, I hate eating the same thing two meals in a row- especially breakfast and lunch. I like the idea of making extra dinner so I can have some the next day, but tomorrow is day 1, so I don't have anything planned.

I am going to have thawed mixed berries with coconut milk in the morning. I was also planning on having some nuts first thing in the AM (before work) but the only nuts I have are either cooked in canola oil, or they are in a trail mix with no-no foods (corn syrup, sugar, soy, etc.) I don't have any safe options there.

I figure I'll adjust and figure things out along the way. Even if this isn't the BEST breakfast (I wish I had some kind of protein option other than this egg casserole available), it's an improvement over either NOTHING or a snack cake, etc.

Chances are, I'll have some of the egg casserole for breakfast Tuesday morning. I just need some variety during the day. In general, I don't like eating the same thing 2 meals in a row (unless it's dinner one night and breakfast the next morning).

I am looking forward to Saturday: baked egg in avocado with salsa for breakfast/brunch (because I sleep in on Saturdays)! It's a better option for when I have more time to enjoy my food.

I work for a chiropractor and have heard him counsel many patients on nutrition/wellness.

The one tip that he consistently offers for folks that are short on time in the morning is simply: make enough dinner so that there will be leftovers for breakfast. Protein and veggies - Simple.

I know that it can be monotonous to eat the same things over and over, but maybe you could switch them up so you're not eating Monday's leftovers on Tuesday morning.

Good luck to you and enjoy your Saturday morning meal - Sounds great!

1. Failure to plan is planning to fail.

I'm sure you have things in the house that you can eat for breakfast and don't realize it. Day 1 is tough but you will manage. Honestly, I eat the same breakfast almost every day...some sort of ground beef hash (made with any veggies that are borderline about to turn bad so I'd best use them up) with a side of green veggies. I actually CRAVE this each morning now.

My Sunday is usually an hour or two prepping for the week ahead. I HIGHLY recommend the book "Well Fed". The author explains very well about preparing for the week ahead and has some REALLY GREAT ideas.

I package up a lot of foods for grab and go and keep them in my fridge. I can always eat them at home if I don't need them fast enough. Any of these foods could make a quick breakfast on your way out the door in the morning. I have little 4 ounce containers that are great for about two ounces of chicken or one sliced up AF grass-fed beef hot dog or a chicken and apple sausage. One is perfect for a snack portion. Two is better for a meal. I will add a couple containers of baby carrots, grape tomatoes, snow peas etc. I try to pack up foods that will keep a few days but if I have time and know I will eat it the same day I also slice cucumbers or put cut fruit in them. I keep small containers with an ounce of two of nuts in my pantry to add fat to the snack or meal. In under a minute I can honestly throw together enough food for several hours away from home. Either loose in my bag, or packed in a insulated tote with an ice pack, this make life super easy for me and I don't have to worry about finding something compliant when I am out and about. I promise I don't work for the Container Store (I post about them a lot it seems). I just love these containers, especially the 4 ounce, although I also have the 9 and 12.5 ounce ones. The 12.5 ounce ones are just a little taller and better for cherry tomatoes than the 9 ounce containers. Grape tomatoes fit in any of them. They are fairly flat and seem to save space. I can pack a lot of food in a small lunch tote with these.

http://www.container...ductId=10014892

jhmomi, your posts always make it sound so EASY...which is honestly just what I needed to hear today. GREAT tips, thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for the kind words TripleM. I am glad anything I can share helps even one person. I learn so much from the other members on here.

I decided about a year ago that enough was enough and I was no longer going to be a yo-yo dieter. i lost weight and from the very beginning I tried to develop new healthy habits to sustain the loss. I went from a size 10/12 down to a 4/6 three years ago and last September I had to do it all over after just two years. NO MORE! My journey led me to make small incremental changes to my lifestyle one by one to get me closer to my ultimate goal of being healthy and fit for the rest of my life. Earlier this year it led me to my first Whole30 in February. It's been about 51 weeks since I took charge of my health and began making changes.It's been as much of a mental journey as a physical one. Whenever I get frustrated or slip up, I just get back on track and keep going. Slow incremental progress towards a goal is far better than no progress towards a goal or even worse - giving up. I am excited to see what the next six months will bring and also eager to begin the New Year (just as I did this year) with no weight to lose. Of course what better way to kick of the New Year than with another Whole30 January 1-30! :)

And even though they aren't Paleo, my entire family is eating better because I made it a priority in my life. I'm also having more fun with my kids too. We just had a family push-up contest tonight and I won with 60 push-ups. In January I couldn't even do one really good one and to do 10 mediocre ones was nearly impossible.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

FWIW, I really like the easy leftovers route when I don't have enough time to make breakfast. A few times a month I have to leave home about 5:30 am and there is simply no way in heck I'm going to wake up early enough to make breakfast. So, the night before I'll do some thing like throw some chicken, baby carrots, celery, an apple or banana, and maybe a few nuts in some containers. The chicken doesn't have any sauce on it so I can easily eat it in the car (I know eating in the car isn't really ideal, but again - no way am I waking up at 4:30).

One of the things that works for me is to get past the idea that food always has to be an event or some elaborate faire. While I love food (part of the reason I'm in the condition I'm in), I've learned to recognize that sometimes it just has to be utilitarian fuel. That allows me to eat healthily without getting wrapped up in worrying about whether or not it is "breakfast food," or a repeat of yesterday's lunch or dinner. Later I can always cook up some delicious paleo lunch or dinner.

AF grass-fed beef hot dog or a chicken and apple sausage.

Hi jhmomi.....Where do you find grass fed beef hot dogs and chicken/apple sausages? All the hot dogs and chicken//apple sausages I find have sweeteners in them. I love the sausages and would get them if I knew what brand is compliant.

Hi jhmomi.....Where do you find grass fed beef hot dogs and chicken/apple sausages? All the hot dogs and chicken//apple sausages I find have sweeteners in them. I love the sausages and would get them if I knew what brand is compliant.

Nancy H - I get the Applegate Farms Organic beef hot dogs at Whole Foods. Ingredient label says its grass fed beef. Aidell's chicken and apple sausage is at my Kroger. I buy a couple other flavors but forget if they are Applegate or Aidell's. They are pretty good convenience options to keep on hand.

Good luck finding some. A lot of times stores will also order special items if that's what their customers want. If your store has anything from Applegate Farms they could add the hot dogs to a future delivery. The Applegate website has all the ingredient listings.

Lissa, some great replies here that should give you lots of good ideas. Leftovers do make a good breakfast option if you can shift your thinking a little and give it a try. A few other thoughts for things you can take with you:

-some slices of Applegate Farms turkey or some other compliant deli meat

-apple slices and almond butter

-a piece of fruit and a Larabar (you're not supposed to go crazy w/ Larabars during your Whole30 b/c they are high in sugar, but they are OK in a pinch when you need something portable and really don't have other good options available)

-tuna salad or chicken salad made w/ homemade mayo - throw it in a container and pack a fork

-cut-up veggies and guacamole

Aidells products are sold at my local Costco for a better price than the grocery store... But my dad won't take me, and I have a hard time spending $6 on four sausages.

Apple slices and almond butter are better afternoon snacks for me just because I eat breakfast at work and my workplace is nut-free.

All week, I've been eating turkey for dinner (or nothing) salad for lunch, and berries in coconut milk for breakfast.

I've been eating turkey for dinner (or nothing) salad for lunch, and berries in coconut milk for breakfast.

Lissa, is this really all you are eating!? Please have protein, good fats and veggies at every meal. If you aren't, you aren't really doing a Whole 30 and I shudder to think how you must be feeling by now. You need nourishment. I know you are struggling to deal with the restrictions of the whole 30 but the answer is NOT to just not eat.

Archived