Trader Joe officially approved shopping list??

acjohnston09

• Moderators

Nope. There is no such thing as an approved shopping list for any store. Such a list is incompatible with the Whole30 approach. We don't want you following some cookie-cutter guide to your food. We want you to buy most of your food from the meat/fish department and produce department where the food has no labels. We want you to read every ingredient label of every packaged item you buy. We want you to educate yourself about ingredients and to know what to avoid and what is okay. If we gave you a list, you would use it and never learn to understand what you are doing. 

That isn't me, but I understand your response. I have been reading every single line of the book and recipes and already looking at all my ingredient labels. I don't go into anything unprepared and I research everything. :-) Similar to the list of items that you have approved for Emergency and Travel, proteins and fat and what not, having a list of items (including mostly those foods in the perimeter) from a store which is referenced a lot, is simply a convenience. For example, I now know that there is exactly one store that has bacon that is compliant in my area and it's because you told me it was.

But I do understand your point and appreciate the time you took to respond. 

Thanks! 

In addition to the different packaging/ingredients problem when making specific product recommendations, the other problem with a shopping list geared towards a specific store is regional availability. Case in point with Trader Joe's: I've read online that they now carry frozen riced cauliflower, however my local branch does not have this product.

That is so true. I do love making the cauliflower rice. Tried that last week while I was testing out some of the recipes. I can already see there will be multiple stores I need to hit on my first large shopping spree.  Hopefully TJ's will have a lot on the list since they tend to be a littler more friendly on the wallet.  

• Moderators

There IS a 'healthy real food shopping list' from Diane Sanfillipo. You would still need to read through and check labels and maybe cross off a couple items, but she does have it available... According to her Instagram, it's for BJ's, Costco and Costco Canada, HEB, Kroger, Jewel Osco, Natural Grocers, Safeway, Sam's Club, Sprouts, Target, Trader Joes, Walmart and Whole Foods. You just sign up for her newsletter and I think she sends it to you right away. It might be a place to start, but truthfully, shopping from the perimeter of the store is your best bet and the less your food has labels, the better off you are!

• Moderators

I don't even look for bacon anymore, but when I did, I found compliant bacon at three different stores - Whole Foods, Publix, and Trader Joe's. However, they would have the bacon for a few weeks and then it would disappear for months at a time. I used to work in grocery stores many years ago, so I know that some items are part of the regular offerings and other things come and go. And when it comes to "fresh" items like bacon, coming and going is normal. 

The other problem with trying to make a list of approved brands or approved stores is that supplies can and do change their ingredients with zero warning. So a list that was put out today, could be virtually useless next week if the manufacturor decides to change their formula. That's why it's so important to read labels, even if it's a product that you've purchased 100 times in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In addition to the different packaging/ingredients problem when making specific product recommendations, the other problem with a shopping list geared towards a specific store is regional availability. Case in point with Trader Joe's: I've read online that they now carry frozen riced cauliflower, however my local branch does not have this product.

The cauliflower rice is temporarily out of stock while we await a new crop. There was a two case limit per day per store for the past 3 weeks. It's due back mid October. Insider tip. Hoard it. It will disappear again quickly. You can always call your local Traders and have them hold it for you when it does become available. Just trying to help ( yup I work for them)

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you have read all the plan info before beginning this and understand the compliant foods and what makes them compliant as well as the forbidden ones. You can just buy anything, such as bacon, without reading the ingredients list and knowing what is in it. If you get it from a specialty shop like a butcher store they should be able to tell you what is in it. If not, don't buy or eat it.

I just started today and did a TON of my shopping at Trader Joes- meats, eggs, ghee, and fresh produce.  My bill was just below $100 and that was for about 5 days of food at least, plus some foundational stuff such as EV olive oil, Ghee, some fresh herbs and spices, etc.

Archived