Meal Planning and Fat Question

ghennessy

Hi! I was wondering if this would be a correct day of eating for the whole30 or if i should make some adjustments:

Breakfast: 3 eggs (cooked in coconut oil or ghee), 1.5-2 cups kale (cooked in coconut oil or ghee), salsa, a few sugar snap peas, sauerkraut, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: grass fed beef, 2 cups swiss chard(cooked in coconut oil or ghee), onion(cooked in coconut oil or ghee), salsa, 1/2 avocado, raspberries, sauerkraut

Dinner/PWO: chicken/fish, 1/2 sweet potato, broccoli, sauerkraut

Also, I was wondering if the fat in my protein sources/cooking counts towards the fat in my meals. For instance, my sausage, my grass fed beef, my eggs, and some grass fed steaks that I eat have fat in them. Should I add a source of fat to the meal on top of those sources as well? Also, I cook in VERY small amounts of coconut oil or ghee (>1 tsp) so do I count that towards my fat content as well? Thank you!

• Moderators

Your meals look good!

The way to tell if you need to add more fat or if the fat inherent in the food is adequate is if you can make it 4-5 hours between meals without feeling the need to snack. Fattier cuts of meat and eggs have some fat in them so maybe try the lower end of the template for additional fat and see how you go. You don't really need to consider the small amount of fat you cook in because that is mostly left in the pan and if you're using that little anyway, that's negligible.

The avocado counts as an added fat too.

• Moderators

You could try for a couple meals and see how your hunger/satiation goes, but a half an avocado and a fattier cut of meat isn't really all that excessive... I'd keep going as you're going, except I did note there is no fat in your meal three and chicken or fish isn't exactly fatty so add a serving or two of fat there too! YUM!

It wouldn't hurt to change up your fat source as well, to keep add variety to your meals and additional nutrients. Olives, a sprinkling of nuts, homemade mayo, olive oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, even compliant bacon or duck fat, tallow or goose fat if you have access... fat is good! don't fear the fat! 

Also, it would be good to have a small post work out meal as well as your dinner. It just needs to be a few bites -- a few bites of chicken breast and sweet potato or carrots, and then 30 minutes or so later, have your dinner along with a fat. 

• Moderators

I love sauerkraut and eat it every day, but eating it at every meal may be a bit much. Sauerkraut is a high histamine food and you can overdose on it. 

Combining dinner and your post-workout meal means that you are not eating enough. Pre- and post-workout meals are included because you need extra food. When you combine one with a main meal, you are cutting out the extra food you need when you exercise. And honestly, if you do not eat enough when you are exercising, your metabolism slows and fat loss becomes more difficult/slow, not easier/faster. 

okay i'll play around with my fat options more and see how i feel! i wish i liked olives but i just can't stand them! also ill add in the post workout meal so i can properly recover! also thank you for the tip about the sauerkraut, i generally don't eat that much at each meal but ill cut back just to be careful. thanks so much to everyone for the help!

Jumping on to this thread because my question is exactly the same - I have been using nuts (in the recommended amount - one closed handful, and usually almonds or cashews) as my fat for breakfast and lunch.  So for example, today's meal plan is as follows:

Breakfast: Hardboiled egg, a generous portion of steamed broccoli with sea salt, and a closed handful of raw almonds

Lunch: Chicken salad made up of roasted chicken breast, chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sliced mango, lots of lettuce, a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and less than a handful of chopped cashews

Dinner: Grilled steak with chimichurri sauce (homemade out of parsley, olive oil and garlic), roasted baby potatoes drizzled with olive oil, roasted asparagus.

So my question is, if this is typical, is the nut intake okay?  I've seen a lot of warnings about nuts on the forums.  They are not a trigger food for me - I'm not tempted by them in between meals - but I am having them at each breakfast because they are easy and portable, and many days at lunch.  Thanks - hope it was okay to jump in here!  I'm on Day 7.  :)

So my question is, if this is typical, is the nut intake okay? 

What you are doing is technically compliant, but I would make a few tweaks. True, nuts are a trigger food for some people, but I think the more important thing to remember is that they are not the best source of fat, and can be very irritating to the digestive system. I would include them in a salad like you list at lunch, but not every day and certainly not at two meals every day. 

At breakfast, one egg is nowhere near the amount of protein you need. This should be as many eggs as you can hold in one hand (likely three) or add another protein source to that meal. Eggs have a good amount of fat, so once you get the portion up that may be fine. If you like, you could add some olives or avocado, compliant sausage, etc.

At lunch, more olive oil, olive, avocado, etc. would all work. Also consider choosing fattier cuts of meat at more meals. Having things like beef short ribs and lamb in the mix will bring more nutrient density and more good fats into the mix.

Thanks Missmary!  So if I have 2-3 eggs at a meal, I don't need additional fat?  Just wanting to be sure I am understanding correctly.  Sadly, I don't like olives, so I'm looking for other fat sources that are not oils, just to vary things up a lot.  I'll work in more avocado (love them!) - I also bought some of the Dang coconut chips (just coconut and salt) so those would work on a salad too, right?  Thanks for your help.   :)

Thanks Missmary!  So if I have 2-3 eggs at a meal, I don't need additional fat?  Just wanting to be sure I am understanding correctly.  Sadly, I don't like olives, so I'm looking for other fat sources that are not oils, just to vary things up a lot.  I'll work in more avocado (love them!) - I also bought some of the Dang coconut chips (just coconut and salt) so those would work on a salad too, right?  Thanks for your help.   :)

Whether or not you need additional fat when eggs are your protein is dependent on if your meal satiates you for 4-5 hours. If you're hungry after 2-3 hours, add more fat. Homemade mayo is a good option.

Thanks Chris!  I'll start out with the the eggs (along with my broccoli) and see how it goes.  Breakfast is an eat at my desk at work situation, so I'm looking to keep it as portable and easy as I can.  Appreciate the quick answers!

For those who don't like olives, try castelvetrano olives. They are the only olives i can eat, and they are so good. They can be hard to find, though. I get them at the olive bar at Wegmans.

Thanks SpunkyBug!  I will be brave and give them a try.  :)

Archived