Weight Loss & Post Whole30

BirdyP

So, my Whole 30 is over. I have not done the reintroduction. Actually don't really miss anything. I take that back. I did have 2 glasses of red wine! ORGANIC WITHOUT SULFITES! It seemed all good but I did keep everything else on track. Which for me has been a HUGE struggle in the past.So, what I have noticed is that I am back to wanting an evening treat. Last night it was LOTS of unsweet coconut flakes with a banana before bed. Is this bad? Im also eating TONS of veggies!! I also am really hitting the gym hard because my mood, energy and strength level is awesome! But, I gotta be honest! I really want to drop some weight so Im back in my comfort zone! Im not talking tons just maybe 10lbs. Any advice here?

Are you incorporating pre- and post-work out meals? If you've upped your activity level and not upped your food to help support that then that's likely a factor in wanting your evening treat back. If you're eating because your hungry, then look over your meals for the past few days and see whether or not you've been following the meal template for 3 squares a day plus pre- and post-WO meals. If you're eating just because "well hey, I deserve this" then put down the snack and walk away. Drink some tea, go for a walk, read a book, whatever it takes.

I understand that you're hoping to lose more weight and it may seem counterintuitive to eat more, but if you're working out hard and underfueling then your body is not going to be able to recover adequately from your workouts. That means that your weight loss will slow (or stop) AND you're setting yourself up for injury and burnout. To lose weight, you need to minimize systemic stress which means nutritional support for your activity levels, adequate recovery days, and good sleep.

Don't underestimate the impact of strength training and DON'T believe anyone who tries to feed you the crap about women getting "bulky" with weightlifting. Muscle mass doesn't occur by accident and it doesn't occur overnight. Also, female body chemistry is just not set-up to build up muscle mass like men do. When you see women with highly visible muscle mass, know that they've done that with intention and very carefully crafted diet and exercise regimens. Lift HEAVY things. If you can knock out 25 reps without a break, then whatever you're using is too light for you.

Ok, ..............so here is my deal!! Ive added a Pre-workout snack. I was eating 3 egg whites. Ive upped that to a whole egg. Post workout is my breakfast. Usually sweet potato hash cooked in coconut oil, egg/s, leftover meat or sausage or bacon, avocado. Then maybe some spinach or such. Lunch is usually still a big salad but Ive added to it. Like more veggies; asparagus, black olives, avocado, etc. Also dressing. I usually eat 1/2 a white sweet potato with lunch. Normally I have some homemade water kiefer and an egg in the afternoon. Not 100% sure this snack is needed??? Maybe a mental thing!???? Then dinner is TONS of whatever veggie Im cooking, usually either on the grill or in the oven, again cooked in coconut oil. (Can you tell I LOVE coconut oil! LOL!! Really beats PAM!!) and a meat of choice. Im not shy here! Usually add part of a mini guacamole cup and salsa! THAT goes with everything!! :) Then, fighting that late, night snack! MENTAL!!???

My workouts: yes I lift very HEAVY things!! Im proud to say that! I competed in the past; bodybuilding and figure! Which I kinda blame the yo-yo dieting and binging on. I know that we as women are NOT made to look like a man! So, Im not shy in the weight room. My cardio consists mostly of HITT, walking, plyos incorporated into my workouts and a little running. Well, VERY little running!! LOL! And yoga.......can't forget yoga................and meditation!

I have seen some positive effects of Whole30 as far as my body composition goes. I just want MORE!! So, do I stay the course I am on and let the progress happen or tweak something I am doing? What's your thoughts by what I have told you?

I would tweak your morning routine a little. A whole egg is a great pre-workout snack since it gives you a little protein and fat. Immediately after you finish your workout, have a post-workout snack of lean protein (egg whites, chicken, etc.) and a starch like sweet potatoes or winter squash. Shower, get dressed, and then have your full meal 1. By separating your post-WO and your meal 1 in this way, you're ensuring that your eating during that window when your muscles are primed to take in fuel AND you won't be slowing the digestion of your post-WO meal by the consumption of fat because you'll be saving the fat for your meal 1.

What Munkers said re the postWO....

But also, I'd restrict your starchy carbs to one fist sized serving per day - you can take it back up to twice a day if you see that it effects your mood. You're getting plenty of good fats & proteins in the rest of your meals so energy shouldn't be an issue for you.

Are you taking a rest day?

Also, I'll just reiterate that even when you're not on a strict Whole30 eating three template meals per day really helps remove that need for snacking...

Ok,.............thank you both so much!! I think I need to go back and read again. So, post workout meal is appx. 1/2 the size of a full meal? If I use sweet potatoes here that should be it for the day? With the 1 fist rule? I'm so used to following the MEAL PLANS of trainers. I want to do this on my own. To maximize my life; mood, energy, fat loss, overall health,...........etc.

Rest days...............???? Saturday I usually just do walking, working in the yard, cleaning house, running errons and yoga. I also used to take a day during the week, totally off to just sleep in a little later. BUT, honestly I have been feeling so good, I took that away.So, right now it's just Saturday. My workouts are intense, starting with 5-15min easy walking outside before the gym opens. Then I usually do some sort of cardio, usually consisting of HITT. Anywhere from 10-20min depending on the day and chosen workout and intensity. Then I hit the weights for the remainder of my time. With the exception of Sunday I complete these workouts in 45minutes to 1 hour. So, intense, YES......long, NO!

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

PostWO for me is less than 1/2 a normal meal -it's really just a few bites, and I've been known to eat just a tin of tuna in spring water, but that's something I've played around with and I know what works for me. If I was having the sweet potato I'd just have a few bites, and I'd not count that as my starchy carb 'allowance' for that day. Pre & PostWO meals are extra bonus meals because your body needs them.

With regards to rest & recovery your body needs both just as much as it needs to be fed well - you might want to take a look at this article for more info...

Over-training can put stress on your body, and your body will hold on to weight when it's stressed, so not taking adequate rest is as counter productive as calorie restriction.

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 6408 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

Keep eating Whole30-style and composing meals according to the meal template and you will keep losing weight that you need to lose. You may not like how long it takes, but you have a much better chance of staying healthy and trim if you follow this plan long-term. I lost 30 pounds when I started this process... at the rate of 2 pounds per month for 15 months. I dropped from 215 to 185. I wanted to go faster, but every time I tried to goose the process, my weight loss stalled.  :)

You can't "goose the process".  Tom Denham is correct.

You have to stay the course.  Budgeting for splurges or regular off-roading on the weekends...won't get anyone there either.  If you haven't  stuck the landing...getting off the horse midstream or changing a WINNING GAME may cause you to lose interest or become discouraged.   Stay the course and keep tooling along like Tom did.   It's the only to make it there...wherever there may be for you.   Reaching your optimum setpoint is a slow process.   If you try to speed it up,  you're dieting with over-restriction.  That definitely won't work.

Slow going is the only way.   It takes true grit and courage.

Goosing the Process and The Head Goose.    When I started,  I was a gosling and I observed the Head Goose in charge of the formation of this forum.   I followed his lead and read all of his posts.   Whatever he did,  I wanted it, too.   

The Head Goose, Tom Denham won't lead you in the wrong direction.   He knows the way home.   North, south, east and west....he's going to take you there.   I'm still in the back of the formation and that's alright with me.   The Head Goose takes all of the heat and has to work harder than all of the rest.   I've coasted on his laurels and head wind. 

I'm not home yet but I will get there.   If you follow his lead,  you'll make it home,  too.

Ok, gang! I've been doing a lot of the suggested reading. Hum,.........so 2 things! Looks like I'm not recovering or I'm not having post workout foods. I know and understand this is different for everyone. BUT,......can I have some examples? Here's my thoughts to start, preworkout= egg. Post workout= maybe 2 oz chicken &4 oz sweet potatoes. It said 2:1. Is that a good start? Next question,"......my workouts. I do acupuncture, massage, rolling, walking, etc. BUT I also get up at 4:15-4:30 everyday during the work week. That's when I get my workouts in. So, what is too much, what is counterproductive? If I'm not hitting it hard at the gym should I still be getting up and walking? Kinda confused here! I know working out is a stress on the body but I like the intensity. I like the jump start to my day! Please help? Advice? Suggestions? Thank you!

Here's my thoughts to start, preworkout= egg.

yup. That's what most people do. You may not need this when you workout later in the day.

Post workout= maybe 2 oz chicken &4 oz sweet potatoes. It said 2:1. Is that a good start? 

I think this is usually reversed (like 4oz chicken and 2oz sweet potatoes)? but it really depends on your context. If you are pretty lean and the workout is long and/or intense have more sweet potatoes, but if you are not so lean you can rely on your body fat some for fuel--in that case just do the protein.

I also get up at 4:15-4:30 everyday during the work week. That's when I get my workouts in. So, what is too much, what is counterproductive? 

This is another one where it really really depends on your context. Does the 4:15am wakeup mean you are getting less than 8 hours of sleep each night? If so, strongly consider the possibility that you would be better off sleeping instead. Work towards either moving your workout time or shifting your bedtime to give your body adequate rest.

Ok, I'm good on pre workout! Post workout? Is that a good start or would just a little protein be sufficient here? Then the sweet potato, I'd like to have that just once a day. Is there an optimal time for that?

Workouts & sleep. I strive for 8 hours a night. I'm usually pretty close. Morning is the only time I can really fit my workouts in. How many days high intensity? Should I have more total days off? What about days just light cardio/ walking?

See missmary's response above re postWO.

As for when is the optimal time for starchy veg, many report that if taken later in the day it avoids a crash mid afternoon, and also aids sleep.

If you're getting close to 8hrs sleep a night, your sleep quality is good, and morning is your only real time to train then stick with that if it's working for you. It only becomes a problem if you're missing out on sleep to train.

As regards rest days I try to have one day of complete rest, one day of active recovery (usually steady pace cardio), and have a more intense sessions on the other 5 days.

Exercise, pre & postWO meals, rest and recovery are very personal things though so you may have to play around with it all to find your best fit.

Ok, I'm good on pre workout! Post workout? Is that a good start or would just a little protein be sufficient here? Then the sweet potato, I'd like to have that just once a day. Is there an optimal time for that?

Workouts & sleep. I strive for 8 hours a night. I'm usually pretty close. Morning is the only time I can really fit my workouts in. How many days high intensity? Should I have more total days off? What about days just light cardio/ walking?

The post-workout you describe is fine. If you want to try just protein and have the sweet potato with a meal, also fine. Putting starchy carbs at meal #3 can help with sleep while having them earlier in the day can cause sugar cravings, so it is worth trying it that way to see if it works well for you.

Great that you are sleeping! It is really really hard to guess how many high intensity days are appropriate. Everyone is so different, and the high-intensity workouts are also quite different...just decide what you think it should be (2 days? 3?) and give it a try for a while. If your routine leaves you feeling energized and strong you are on the right track. If you feel consistently tired and depleted, reassess and try a different approach.

edit: sorry, simultaneous, redundant post  ;)

Thanks so much! So, my plans are for the up coming week to switch it up a bit. See what happens.

Pre WO=egg

Post WO= maybe some chicken. Fast & easy. Maybe 2oz to start. Only question here. When do you NOT need a post WO meal? Steady state cardio? Actually is Pre WO necessary here?Are you doing something easy for steady state? Walking? What's the duration?

Breakfast= eggs, veggie, avocado, meat.

Lunch= chicken on top of tons of veggies & dressing

Supper= meat of choice, veggie of choice, and already made sweet potato chips. How many here? Ounces?

Gonna try hard to break that snacking need again!!

Push hard and see what happens. Massage scheduled for Monday! A little recovery time!!! Thanks for all the help!!

I don't do pre or post WO meals for active recovery, and my AR sessions are usually 45mins. YMMV.

As for how much starchy veg you should be eating you should be aiming for a fist sized serving for starters and then increase if you feel the need (ie. your mood starts to waiver) - so with home made chips I'm thinking a good handful should be enough...

YMMV? What's this?

Do you have a preference on AR sessions? Bike, walk, EFX, etc.? I know it's a preference just curious.

Also, Post w/o meal & meal 1. What should the timing be like between these? 20 minutes, an hour?

Putting all this in place next week!! Yeah! Will keep you updated! Excited to see some changes!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Your Mileage May Vary - as in you might not get the same results, or this might not work for you...

My AR sessions shift between rowing & slow paced runs. I do quite intense spin so a slow stationery bike ride would be boring to me, and if I was outdoors I'd struggle to not push myself.

My postWO meal I eat immediately upon finishing, then I shower, drive to work & eat a pre-pared meal, so in my case it's about 45mins but 30 is good too. Play around with it.

Hope this helps!

It's low intensity, so yes, they would be, although the focus for me is really more on breathing if I'm running. You should basically feel more energised after an active recovery session rather than fatigued. If you're fatigued when you're done the intensity has been too high.

Well, checking in!! It's pre Friday!! Yeah!! Made some changes this week. Need thoughts and advice! So, Ive been doing the egg-pre workout. On the way home I eat appx. 2 oz chicken. Ive done mostly high intensity lifting, some sprints, one day active recovery (just walking). No pre or post on AR day. Breakfast has been either left over veggies or kale sautéed in coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 - 1 Sausage (Aidellas), tomato, 2 coffees with a little full fat coconut milk. Lunch has been a salad all week. Lots of mixed greens, asparagus, black olives, onions, green apple (1/4-1/2), cucumber, tomatoes and 1T tessemae salad dressing. About 5 oz. chicken added on top. Mmmmmmm! Supper has been 5-6oz meat (whatever), veggies (LOTS), about 4ish oz. white sweet potato topped with little dab of Kerrygold butter. Also have thumb size portion of wholly guacamole. Ive felt good with no snack and after supper snacking has been so much better. I feel positive, mostly high energy except for today. BUT I don't feel my body is making much progress, as far as body composition is concerned. Should I stay this course? Does that sound good or is there something I should tweak? Thoughts / advice always welcome!! Thank you!!

Your food & schedule sounds good - I think you need to keep on keeping on to be honest - It's only been a few days since you implemented the changes, You feel positive & energised which is a great sign, but your body composition isn't going to change overnight.

Keep it up!

Archived