7/1/15 - Experiments in Bike Riding

JenX

Hey all you July 1sters - welcome to our continuation page! Whether you are staying in for another round or 2 of Whole 30, or you are ready to enter the reintroduction phase, I thought it would be nice to have a place for us to come together and share our experiences. I believe all of us share the same goal....riding our own bikes. Finding out what works for each of us as individuals.

post-68926-0-43755000-1438381447_thumb.j

So, welcome! 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, my first introduction is soy and I have to say it is NOT going well.  I had a soy milk latte this morning (one of my old favorite treats for after a long run on a lazy weekend). That was okay, but I did get some tummy gurgling, and a minor headache.  Lunch ended up being Shirataki noodle soup with a bit of diced tofu (along with some sashimi and a salad with olives and vinaigrette). The gurgling has become much worse, as has the headache so I'm not going to include any soy at dinner.  What it boils down to for me is I may use a tiny bit of soy sauce here and again (I don't really care for the flavor of coconut aminos) but that will be it in the soy department.  The next 3 days will be 100% compliant which will take me through the weekend.

I tested oatmeal today and with in 30 minutes of eating breakfast I had a bloated stomach. I decided that it was not worth it to test any more the rest of the day. So I will be three days compliant and test goAt cheese for my next challenge. The good thing is that as I've been drinking water throughout the day the bloating has gone down but I am very constipated. TMI I am sure. Just the facts folks.

I'm continuing with another round of Whole30; with possibly doing a re-intro in September.  I was compliant throughout the Whole30 July1 challenge; but didn't post that much. Work has been pretty busy..... 'early mornings and late nights.... 

thanx JenX for starting the thread and inviting those of us who are continuing.

Though I'm starting another whole30 tomorrow, I was planning on using today as a reintroduction day. A co-worker brought me a piece of chocolate cake as a reward, so I thought, "ok, maybe I'll reintroduce sugar today." Long story short... I had so much anxiety about taking a couple bites that I couldn't do it! I'm assuming this is a clear indication that I'm not ready yet (and that chocolate cake is not the place to start). Therefore tomorrow will be day #32 on the plan. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I will have an opportunity for a couple re-introductions during August as I've allowed myself three off-plan meals for the month. I'll just have to make them re-introduction meals. 

Sorry some of you are feeling so crummy after re-introduction of one element, but I guess that's why we're here ~ the learning curve!

Feel better tomorrow

Isn't it too bad that we celebrate with food (and not usually the healthy stuff)? I had a similar experience yesterday where co-workers got my husband and me a huge sheet cake for our last day of work. And another co-worker brought a separate homemade cake. I thought--I might have to HAVE TO try some cake, so that I don't hurt anybody's feelings or make them think I don't appreciate their efforts. But then I remembered what the book says--I don't HAVE to eat anything and I shouldn't succumb to peer pressure to eat food. That was very comforting and although it was simple and obvious advice, it really helped me in my moments of deliberation. I actually do think that eating a piece of one of the cakes yesterday would have been fine, but since I haven't completed my reintroduction yet I didn't want to muddy the waters and mess up my reintro experiment. It is more important to me to do the reintro 'clean' than it is to indulge in a yummy-looking piece of cake.

I am sorry, t-mo, that you were feeling anxious about eating a piece of cake. It takes a lot of the fun out of pleasure eating if you can't fully enjoy your splurge foods. Did you get the weekly Dear Melissa email yesterday about the importance of reintroduction?? I found it super helpful, as it emphasizes the importance of reintroduction and the purposes of reintro. I specifically liked when Melissa talked about continuing to ride our bikes without the training wheels of the strict Whole30, but with still a little bit of the Hartwig assistance with the bike during our reintro days. I think the reintro days are 1) going to help us learn what the off-plan foods do to our bodies once and for all, and 2) going to teach us how to eat Whole30 in the real world, applying the principles we have learned to real life eating scenarios. I believe this will allow us to really take the handlebars and ride our own bikes, since we will know how to eat Whole30 plus the off-plan foods that WE CHOOSE to include (probably the ones that don't make us feel like junk). And I am also encouraged and motivated by knowing that if I ever feel like I am getting off-track, I can always come back to Whole30. Melissa and Dallas will always be there to take the wheel back, if we need to temporarily resume our Whole30 to clean up our acts. What a relief that is!

Now, I am going to reintroduce dairy today! It is Day 35 for me, and I have been hesitant to reintro anything (also due to the fear and anxiety of going off-track and 'messing up'), but after re-reading It Starts with Food, I know that I am ready (and I want some cheese, darn it!) I'm going to have some milk, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream (no carageneen or chemicals in the ice cream though; I am going to try some with only pronounceable ingredients, and I am going to measure it and not eat the entire pint! What a concept!)

Interesting. I need to read the re-introduction again.. Yesterday my husband and daughter and I went to the fair. It was really hot! Had a great time. At one point we stopped to have a beer and I excitedly ordered my favorite pale ale. About gagged at the taste. Tried both of my husbands and daughters who drink a lighter beer with the same result. My daughter said I was being dramatic! What a wonderful program if I no longer even like the taste of beer - lol. I am not committing to another 30 days right now however the way I am now eating and thinking of food seems like I am... It's a habit that's been formed, I guess. It's great hearing everyone's experiences!

I have to say I feel much more comfortable with this second attempt at reintroduction. The first time was more disorganized and cravings-based and I paid for it by going overboard. This time I'm sticking to my schedule which means compliant this weekend and Monday. And I'm so happy to be eating compliantly! On top of intestinal issues, soy caused some bloating/puffiness and I want that gone!

I totally understand those of you not ready - I don't honk I was either that first time. I should have kept going, but knew I had a wedding to attend 5 days after I finished and it would have been too hard to be compliant there. So if you're not ready either psychologically or physically, I think you're absolutely right to continue on!

Thanks, JenX for setting this thread up! I have decided that a thing or two will not ever come back, but I am reintroducing raw dairy first. That's really the thing I missed most. That glass of raw milk most days. Weird, huh? I thought it'd be Diet Coke, or coffee creamer or cake, but milk? Who'd a thunk? If all goes well, I'll do a separate reintroduction of commercial dairy, because I wouldn't mind a bit of cheese now and then. So far, so good. No bloat or bubbling cauldron in my gut so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Hey guys! Thanks for keeping the thread going.... I know I don't post a lot but I'm here. I tried some chocolate and some sangria today (was out celebrating with friends) and I am soooooo bloated! I feel like I'm 20 lbs heavier than what I was this morning. It's so crazy how what you eat effects your body like that. Needless to say I'm going back to being compliant the next 3 days just so I can feel "light" again. I haven't weighed myself but everyone at work today kept saying how good I'm looking so that makes me feel great. I'm going to stick with my plan of being compliant at home and being more relaxed while dining out...then again after today, I might not even do that very often now that I know I'll be feeling like this afterwards. LOL

Let's have a great August!!!

I tested oatmeal today and with in 30 minutes of eating breakfast I had a bloated stomach. I decided that it was not worth it to test any more the rest of the day. So I will be three days compliant and test goAt cheese for my next challenge. The good thing is that as I've been drinking water throughout the day the bloating has gone down but I am very constipated. TMI I am sure. Just the facts folks.

Lol!! My digestion hasn't been right since day 1 and still isn't! Let us know how the dairy reintro goes.

Got out for a 5 mile walk this morning. Gosh it felt great! And I'm having no trouble eating compliantly and to the template on my non-test days. I've looked at a few treat type things yesterday and this morning, reminded myself I *could* have them if I wanted and then decided I didn't want them. A very different mentality from ending my 1st Whole 30.

Happy to see so many here! Will check in again later on b

Well I totally blew my reintroduction plan. I can tell you I feel like complete crap - not emotionally for going off the rails, but physically.  YUCK!  So, I am back to Whole30 complaint for at least 7 days. Then I will do the re-introduction plan.  I made the decision to go off the rails, and it was a bad decision.  Although, I did learn that some of the foods I thought I missed - I really don't.  So I did learn something. :)

Well I totally blew my reintroduction plan. I can tell you I feel like complete crap - not emotionally for going off the rails, but physically.  YUCK!  So, I am back to Whole30 complaint for at least 7 days. Then I will do the re-introduction plan.  I made the decision to go off the rails, and it was a bad decision.  Although, I did learn that some of the foods I thought I missed - I really don't.  So I did learn something. :)

Sorry to hear that, but I think from my own experience as well as some of the others I've met on the forum, that this happens about 75% of the time for the first Whole 30. Good for you for recognizing the choices you made and how those less healthy foods made you feel. All you ruined was you don't know exactly WHICH of those foods is the culprit for making you feel gross, and that can be remedied. 

@Bojibelle - Did you recover from that oatmeal yet? ;) My digestion was finally back to normal yesterday from Friday's foray into soy. I never would have suspected it as way back when, I was vegetarian and just about lived on tofu for protein. 

@Adrian0808 - I hope you're feeling a bit better this morning. My next intro on my schedule is alcohol on Tuesday with some friends - we're celebrating one finish yesterday of her 2nd Ironman, and sending off the other for some horrendous multi-day ultra marathon trail run thing...these girls are crazy! LOL! I am proud to say, I've already given myself permission to NOT drink if I don't feel like it. I'm not going to just because we're out, or just because my schedule says so. That is a huge change in mindset for me! I do like your idea of only eating non-compliant foods when out and that will most likely be my plan of attack after I finish my official reintroductions this time around.

So, I was a sweaty-betty in the kitchen yesterday. I made shepherd's pie, roasted chicken quarters, seared chicken breast, turkey taco meat, bacon, roasted brussel sprouts, baked plantains and boiled yams. I am more than set to tackle this week! LOL! The prep never stops, even if the Whole 30 is over. :D

Isn't it too bad that we celebrate with food (and not usually the healthy stuff)? I had a similar experience yesterday where co-workers got my husband and me a huge sheet cake for our last day of work. And another co-worker brought a separate homemade cake. I thought--I might have to HAVE TO try some cake, so that I don't hurt anybody's feelings or make them think I don't appreciate their efforts. But then I remembered what the book says--I don't HAVE to eat anything and I shouldn't succumb to peer pressure to eat food. That was very comforting and although it was simple and obvious advice, it really helped me in my moments of deliberation. I actually do think that eating a piece of one of the cakes yesterday would have been fine, but since I haven't completed my reintroduction yet I didn't want to muddy the waters and mess up my reintro experiment. It is more important to me to do the reintro 'clean' than it is to indulge in a yummy-looking piece of cake.

I am sorry, t-mo, that you were feeling anxious about eating a piece of cake. It takes a lot of the fun out of pleasure eating if you can't fully enjoy your splurge foods. Did you get the weekly Dear Melissa email yesterday about the importance of reintroduction?? I found it super helpful, as it emphasizes the importance of reintroduction and the purposes of reintro. I specifically liked when Melissa talked about continuing to ride our bikes without the training wheels of the strict Whole30, but with still a little bit of the Hartwig assistance with the bike during our reintro days. I think the reintro days are 1) going to help us learn what the off-plan foods do to our bodies once and for all, and 2) going to teach us how to eat Whole30 in the real world, applying the principles we have learned to real life eating scenarios. I believe this will allow us to really take the handlebars and ride our own bikes, since we will know how to eat Whole30 plus the off-plan foods that WE CHOOSE to include (probably the ones that don't make us feel like junk). And I am also encouraged and motivated by knowing that if I ever feel like I am getting off-track, I can always come back to Whole30. Melissa and Dallas will always be there to take the wheel back, if we need to temporarily resume our Whole30 to clean up our acts. What a relief that is!

Now, I am going to reintroduce dairy today! It is Day 35 for me, and I have been hesitant to reintro anything (also due to the fear and anxiety of going off-track and 'messing up'), but after re-reading It Starts with Food, I know that I am ready (and I want some cheese, darn it!) I'm going to have some milk, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream (no carageneen or chemicals in the ice cream though; I am going to try some with only pronounceable ingredients, and I am going to measure it and not eat the entire pint! What a concept!)

I agree so much. I didn't really see this the first time around. In fact I wasn't missing anything so didn't do any formal reintroductions.. I'd eat/drink something new but then not take that period of compliance to see the true effect, and then noticed things were slipping back in (cheese, ice cream, wine, beer, etc.)  So I went back in for a second round of whole 30. This time I really want to see the effects of each and every food and am following a much stricter approach. Or, the way I like to think about it, a scientific protocol.  

How did your dairy reintroduction go? 

I agree so much. I didn't really see this the first time around. In fact I wasn't missing anything so didn't do any formal reintroductions.. I'd eat/drink something new but then not take that period of compliance to see the true effect, and then noticed things were slipping back in (cheese, ice cream, wine, beer, etc.)  So I went back in for a second round of whole 30. This time I really want to see the effects of each and every food and am following a much stricter approach. Or, the way I like to think about it, a scientific protocol.  

How did your dairy reintroduction go?

My reintro was a complete disaster, but I guess there's no surprise there :)

I had some milk with breakfast and two hours later I felt so bloated and gassy and just gross--these feelings have become foreign and ancient to me, and I did not welcome them! So, milk is not worth it. I enjoy unsweetened almond milk anyway, so milk is easy to give up. Well, I decided to trudge on and see how much more trouble I could get myself into. I had some sweetened yogurt a little later in the day and it did not make things worse, but it's hard to tell what it's actual effects were since I did not eat it in isolation. Maybe I will try it again in the future, in complete isolation. Maybe... Later I ate 1 oz. of cheddar cheese and I remember it tasting better in the past...so cheese is a food that I will not need to include in my diet. It just wasn't worth it. After dinner I had a cup of chocolate ice cream (with no additions, soy, carageneen, or wheat--they sneak that stuff in there!) Once again, I remember ice cream tasting better in the past. Therefore, ice cream is a food that is not worth it. If it doesn't taste delicious, then why am I going to eat it and potentially make myself feel terrible? I may include ice cream in the future, if my husband wants to go to coldstone...but at least now I know what the consequences will be!

So I learned that milk and cheese are not worth it. I MAY retry yogurt...maybe. And ice cream will be a rare treat, if I really want it, and if I think the consequences are worth it.

So, I reintro-ed on Saturday and ALL DAY SUNDAY I felt awful. Seriously bloated, gassy, and GRUMPY! I know what dairy does to me! I am so thankful for the experiment that I was able to conduct on myself, because now I know without a doubt what dairy does to me.

Since I had such a bad experience with my reintro day, I have decided to slow-roll it from here on out, eating an off-plan food when worth it, evaluating the effects, getting back to Whole30 for at least two days (or until I am back to Whole30 good feeling), and play it like that.

Yikes! I can understand why you'd want to think about trying yogurt again down the line.  My understanding is that is often the case with dairy. You can be sensitive to Lactose or to Caseins  or both. I already know milk is out, but it the past I was fine with cheese and yogurt. We'll see if I still am when I hit that day in my schedule.   Today is my alcohol intro...obviously not adding it to all 3 meals :rolleyes:  but the place my friends and I are going to tonight have a Tuesday night special of 1/2 price bottles of wine. So, if we can all agree on a bottle (easier said than done) we'll split it 3 ways. That'll be just over a glass and a half which is plenty. I know if I have 2 I'll just want more -- if I'm to learn from past experiences anyway.  All of my food will be compliant today. The restaurant doesn't look like it has much I can convert over so I'll just wait and eat when I get home. It won't be a late night anyway.

Just had the 8 week ex-ray for my foot and the bone is almost all filled in where the break was. I'm still not allowed to run or jump/hop/skip for the next 4 weeks but I can walk as much as I want so long as there is no pain. Very happy news! I walked 9 miles in the last 2 days as is (5 Sunday, 4 yesterday) so am taking it easy today. My shin muscles are super sore and need time to recover.

@JenX - I did recover from the oatmeal. Glad you are walking but try to build up to your previous mileage.

Just went back to compliant eating and was fine. Next was champagne because of bridal shower. Headache and achy joints that night. Not bad but could see how if I drank often it would accumulate and not be good for me. Then it was a wee bit of goat cheese on my zoodles and tomato basil mixture. Had a tiny bit of bloat. Again I think it is the accumulation that gets us. Today I was at a luncheon and they served salad with salmon. I brought my own dressing because I can't stand most commercial dressings. It was nice not to worry about how the salmon was cooked. Dessert was cheesecake or sorbet. I had neither and was most satisfied and a bit smug that I didn't eat them.

Bottom line is that I like how I feel when compliant but miss things on occasion so will allow a treat every so often. I don't feel the need right now to keep testing things since I know how I react to them from previous W30s. Very different for me and my attitude feels healthy.

Remember I said I hadn't lost weight per the scale - I did lose about 3 pounds which is probably water weight but people keep saying I look great. I guess I will go with the vista instead of the scale. Keep up the good work.

Good morning all! Well, yesterday was my alcohol reintroduction. I had a hard boiled egg at about 4:30 to make sure I wasn't starving, and then met 2 friends. We shared one bottle of sauv.blanc and I did my best to really savor it. To stop after every sip, roll it around my mouth, think about it, etc. For a change I wasn't the first one done with my glass :) .  I also noticed just as the first glass was almost gone it wasn't tasting as good to me as it was at the start. It started to taste rather acidic and sour.    I did drink my share (1.6 glasses) but had no desire for any more.

Also I have to say the food they ordered and ate (turkey sliders, tempura cauliflower, sweet potato fries, margarita flat bread pizza) didn't look or smell the least bit appealing to me.  Even when I started to get hungry!  I waited until I got home and had leftover baked chicken and zucchini and it was delicious! :)

No ill effects from the wine really. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth that evening, and gave me a touch of acid reflux until I was able to eat. I am more tired than usual this morning, but that may be because I got to bed later than normal and got up early this morning.  Back to compliance for today and tomorrow and then Friday is legumes.  I'm thinking I may need to push that to Saturday just in case all those beans cause some distress I don't want to be dealing with at work. LOL! :o

Hey all...  Remaining on plan.  I am doing well but I have had a number of "maybe I should have..." thoughts.  So far, I am resisting but we are on vacation and I may allow myself to slip a few times before being back to hard core W30 at the end of the month.  I am not sure though... I may keep on plan for August. 

Cheers

Dj

DJ - I am amazed anyone can stay strictly W30 on vacation - you sir, are amazing! Of course if you do choose to have something not compliant, you're still amazing. :)

I think I had another side-effect from the wine on Tuesday. I had the desire to snack/munch most of yesterday afternoon. I was NOT hungry in the least but was just about driven to the vending machine in the parking garage. I really wanted something crunchy/salty (my form of sugar dragon is a fatty, crunchy salty dragon).  Wine is apparently a trigger food that causes some issues. I'd always known it gave me the munchies while I was drinking (on top of lowering food inhibitions) but never realized it was still affecting me almost 24 hrs later.  That is something to definitely stay aware of!

I went out and took a walk (AWAY from the parking garage) and had a lot of water & tea, and some kombocha and I did make it through the day compliant, with no snacks.  Today, at least so far, I'm not having that issue. My energy is back to normal, my hunger is normal and I feel good.

How's everyone else doing?

Archived