Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JenX

7/1/15 - Experiments in Bike Riding

After my disastrous dairy reintro day on Saturday, I took 3 days to get back to Whole30. On Wednesday I told myself that if something comes along that is worth it, then I will eat off-plan but will only allow one food so that I can evaluate its effects in isolation. Well, my husband and I went out of town and ended up finding ourselves at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. My decision was between a salad that I love with black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, chicken, fried onion strings, and a BBQ ranch dressing and a piece of cheesecake. I love the salad but knew that with my husband getting a dessert to go I would want one, so I decided ahead of time to eat grilled salmon and steamed broccoli and bring a piece of Oreo cheesecake home. I ate it, enjoyed the heck out of it, and told myself that I would not regret it or feel bad about it, but that I would get back to Whole30 for the next 4 days to make sure I don't get off track.

Results: the cake was just as good as I remember. We don't go there often because there is not one where we live, so even the next day I did not regret My decision to indulge. Sugar dehydrates me so I woke up several times during the night to drink water. I'm a little bloated today, either from the dairy or from the water I have had to consume. But, otherwise, I'm feeling good. It feels so great to be able to eat an off-plan food and get right back to Whole30, knowing that I have not ruined my diet or sabotaged my efforts. This is totally sustainable and since the reintroduction, I have gained an even greater appreciation for this program!

Well I had a fall. Someone brought in gluten free cookies but certainly not Paleo. I indulged and regret it. Bloating. But back on regular compliance. I will feel better soon.

Now, now...that wasn't a fall - it was a choice. You just wanted to do you gluten free grains tests by way of GF cookies, that's all. Did they taste good?  The one gluten free thing I tried after my first Whole 30 was muffins and I found them rather gummy and not all that tasty. I did eat them all tho... they were too expensive to toss.

After my disastrous dairy reintro day on Saturday, I took 3 days to get back to Whole30. On Wednesday I told myself that if something comes along that is worth it, then I will eat off-plan but will only allow one food so that I can evaluate its effects in isolation. Well, my husband and I went out of town and ended up finding ourselves at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. My decision was between a salad that I love with black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, chicken, fried onion strings, and a BBQ ranch dressing and a piece of cheesecake. I love the salad but knew that with my husband getting a dessert to go I would want one, so I decided ahead of time to eat grilled salmon and steamed broccoli and bring a piece of Oreo cheesecake home. I ate it, enjoyed the heck out of it, and told myself that I would not regret it or feel bad about it, but that I would get back to Whole30 for the next 4 days to make sure I don't get off track.

Results: the cake was just as good as I remember. We don't go there often because there is not one where we live, so even the next day I did not regret My decision to indulge. Sugar dehydrates me so I woke up several times during the night to drink water. I'm a little bloated today, either from the dairy or from the water I have had to consume. But, otherwise, I'm feeling good. It feels so great to be able to eat an off-plan food and get right back to Whole30, knowing that I have not ruined my diet or sabotaged my efforts. This is totally sustainable and since the reintroduction, I have gained an even greater appreciation for this program!

Alison, that's amazing.  I still find that if I decide to indulge in one kind of treat I'm that much more likely to go off the rails for the whole meal/day. It's like I give myself permission to "be bad" although I hate that framing and I am trying to work on it. I hope to get where you are soon.

No legumes yet for me today. The only thing I thought might be good this morning was peanuts or peanut butter but I'm a bit scared of them. When I had them after my first W30 I ended up with an ocular migraine. Not really wanting to start my day with that, you know?   I am buying a salad here at work today, and there are usually kidney beans and sometimes garbanzos out in the salad bar so may toss some in. then again, I don't really miss beans at all so not sure it's worth doing this reintroduction right now. Analysis paralysis, yes please! :) 

I think what I'll do is stop by Sprouts on the way home tonight and get a single serve packet of natural pb so I can test it in the morning. Maybe one of those single-serve hummus containers too. I feel too good today to mess with it.

Hi Everyone!

I started my Whole30 a week into July so I just finished, yeah!  I'd like to join your discussion as I work on the reintroduction phase.

I decided to start with dairy, since it's the food group I miss the most.  I had yogurt with breakfast this morning and plan to have a latte and some cheese later on.  As far as I know, I don't have any sensitivities but I could be wrong.

In a few days we are leaving for a weeks vacation at a cabin in the Black Hills of North Dakota.  I'm madly trying to organize a menu and get groceries together. I'm the only one in my family who is eating on plan so it's a little challenging.  I'm grateful that I'm the one in charge of the food anyway!  I'm doing some of the cooking ahead of time so I don't have to do it there while on vacation.  After a month of eating this way, I feel like I have a handle on it but it's not automatic.  Trying to plan so far ahead is really stretching me.  

Needless to say my reintroduction phase is going to be at a "slow roll."  I'll just play it by ear.  Also, I'm hoping my sugar dragon will stay asleep.  My cravings are gone right now, but this will be an immense test to live in such close quarters with my family and eating treats and chips etc.  We leave in 4 days.  Time to get to work!

Glad to hear most everyone's re-introductions are going fairly well. I'm still going strong on W30 - Day #38 now.  I'm starting to feel better (not as anxious) about the re-introduction plan and may start re-introducing next week--probably dairy. I haven't really been missing dairy except in my morning coffee, but I think it'll be something that won't take me off path. I'll keep you updated..

Have a good weekend everyone~

@kirstenj - welcome! That cabin trip sounds amazing! Hope the dairy intro went well.

@T-mo - I really like that you're taking the time to make sure you're psychologically prepared before moving forward. I wish I had had that amount of self-awareness the first time.

For me, I did legumes yesterday. 2 single serve packets of natural peanut butter, and one of plain hummus. I think the PB gave me a headache, nothing major though. It also made me tired which I found a weird reaction. I mean, had a nap kind of tired. Or maybe I was just tired from not enough sleep. Hummus gave me a bit of gas but I already knew that would happen.

Anyway, both will not be added to my daily diet going forward. PB is a FWOB for me so I don't keep it in the house. They're good traveling foods though so may be considered for road trips/camping.

Next up is gluten-free grains on Tuesday. I'll try out sweet corn, rice, and tortillas - I'd love to have a fish taco or two so excited for this one.

Oh, I had to take my scale back out of the bathroom. I noticed I was getting on it every morning again - telling myself I was monitoring the effects of the reintroduction a but I think that was just an excuse. And not a very good one. So, bye-bye scale!

Hope you all have a great day!

Just a quick note to day still no ill effects from the peanuts/legumes (yay!). In fact I've felt so great the last couple of days I upped my exercise. I took the dog on an 8 mile walk yesterday, and today I went to my morning exercise class for the first time since I broke my foot!  I took it easy, and let the instructor know there are still several things I can't do (running in place, jumping, and it turns out plank is not so good either), but I really enjoyed moving and exercising my muscles again.  After 9 weeks away I was dying even using super light weights - it was sort of sad the amount of strength I've lost.  My energy was amazing throughout though. 

Same for yesterday's walk. I had a full meal 1 before I left and didn't need anything during or anything post workout. And that was after 2-1/2 hrs of fast walking. Fat-burning, indeed!  Lower level, steady-state cardio and fat burning go hand in hand. :D  I now know I can walk that half marathon on the 23rd no problem.

Okay, on to the workday.  Looking forward to tomorrow's test foods.  Happy Monday!

Alison, that's amazing.  I still find that if I decide to indulge in one kind of treat I'm that much more likely to go off the rails for the whole meal/day. It's like I give myself permission to "be bad" although I hate that framing and I am trying to work on it. I hope to get where you are soon.

Thanks, JenX! Believe me, it's not always easy just having one treat. When I am consistently eating healthy foods, I find it much easier to just have one piece of cake (instead of the whole thing) or bypass an off-plan food without second thoughts. I used to have feelings that if I was going to eat a 'bad' food, then what's the point of eating healthy for the meal...or the day in general, for that matter. Well, you know what that leads to. That kind of mentality is so bad, and this program has helped me to get rid of it. When I would think that I should just not even try to be good because I knew I was going to 'mess up' so 'what's the point in even trying to be good', it led me to not even care about the bad foods I was eating or their consequences...until the next day. And then the shame! and the regret! and the self-loathing! and the 'why can't I control myself?'! Well, now that I eat MUCH fewer supernormally stimulating FWOB, those desires to eat without (temporarily) caring about the consequences have completely gone away. And I don't miss them!

Since my cheesecake splurge (I'm slightly drooling as I write this) last Wednesday, I have been Whole30-compliant, but with the slackened sugar rule. I have been eating bacon with sugar in it, I have been drinking unsweetened almond milk, I have been eating organic ketchup (no HFCS), and I have been cooking with bacon fat. This is day #6 of not eating off-plan. I want to reintroduce something off-plan today but here's my issue: I am going to have dinner with my grandparents tomorrow night and know that pretty much everything they will serve will be full of carbs and sugar. So, I don't want to reintroduce anything today and not be able to eat what my grandmother serves me. She's an old-fashioned southern woman who makes casseroles and pound cake, and gets offended if you don't eat her home-cooking. And I'm not going to ask my sweet grandmother to cook something Whole30 for me. And she's a good cook, so I want to eat her cooking too. Long story short, I really want to reintroduce today but will just wait until tomorrow night to eat off-plan. I know we are not supposed to exactly schedule splurge meals, but I have no doubt I will be eating lots of off-plan foods, from multiple off-plan food groups. It will be hard to distinguish what effects are from which foods, but I will just go into the situation knowing that. My second dilemma is that I am going to a baby shower this Saturday, just enough time to get back to Whole30 for two days after eating at my grandmothers house. I don't know whether it is a good idea to go into the baby shower with the attitude that I am going to allow myself to splurge if something looks worth it, or if I should bring something to eat that is compliant and try to stick to Whole30. What do you think?--go into the party knowing that I will eat off-plan (potentially setting myself up to fail) or stick to the Whole30 by bringing snacks for myself? The shower is at 10:30am and I'm sure will last a few hours. I don't want to plan to fail, but I also don't want to not be able to eat something off-plan of it seems worth it.

PB is a FWOB for me so I don't keep it in the house.

Peanut butter is for me too! Actually most nut butters and nuts are. Have you tried sunflower nut butter? I have tried the organic kind and the crunchy kind (with added sugar). The crunchy kind is addictive. Seriously, like get it outta my house addictive. If you have a peanut butter addiction, I would recommend staying away from the crunchy sunflower nut butter. The organic kind is unsweetened though, but creamy (I do miss the crunch) and not nearly as addictive as the crunchy kind. It's much easier to eat in moderation compared to crunchy. I still pre-portion 2 T. though. When I dig a spoon into a jar of nut butter, sometimes I do well and sometimes I have eaten 2-3 servings...not quite half a jar or anything extreme like that, but still more than I need! Justin's brand almond butter is good too. Have you tried any other nut butters--macadamia nut or hazelnut?

So after 40 days of W30 compliance I finally re-introduced dairy yesterday.

Whole milk with both morning cups of coffee. My W30 compliant lunch topped with smoked gouda (YUM!)

Ahh- I snacked on about 1-1/2 ounces of smoked gouda again before dinner (I was just trying to make sure my system recognized the shot of dairy--at least that's my story). Then out to dinner for Mom's birthday--chicken stuffed with mushrooms & mozzarella, light on the veggies as many restaurant entrees are. I did have a salad appetizer. (The waiter was irritated with me when I asked for oil & vinegar for dressing rather than their balsamic dressing! That's the first time that's happened. Anyway, I held steady.) There was a creamy sauce on the chicken that I don't believe was fully compliant, but I'm just going to move on from that.

The milk in my coffee didn't seem to affect me at all. It gave the coffee a much creamier taste than coconut milk does, but I can live without it--maybe just save it for 'once-a-whiles'.  Same effect for the gouda on top of my lunch--wonderfully tasty, but I can do without most of the time. No ill effects.

However.... snacking on the cheese pre-dinner, I noticed the smoked gouda was becoming a FWOB. Hmmm. I'll be keeping that in mind.

Post dinner I was feeling a little icky and bloated. It may be a result of the sauce on top of the chicken, but I'm keeping in mind that it may be a result of the accumulated dairy over the day.

Back into compliance for the next 3 days. May experiment with alcohol on Friday as a few of us have a private tour of a local whiskey distillery. I am nervous about going 'off plan' twice in one week however, so we'll see how it goes.

Keep Truckin' ;-)

This is day #6 of not eating off-plan. I want to reintroduce something off-plan today but here's my issue: I am going to have dinner with my grandparents tomorrow night and know that pretty much everything they will serve will be full of carbs and sugar. So, I don't want to reintroduce anything today and not be able to eat what my grandmother serves me. She's an old-fashioned southern woman who makes casseroles and pound cake, and gets offended if you don't eat her home-cooking. And I'm not going to ask my sweet grandmother to cook something Whole30 for me. And she's a good cook, so I want to eat her cooking too. Long story short, I really want to reintroduce today but will just wait until tomorrow night to eat off-plan. I know we are not supposed to exactly schedule splurge meals, but I have no doubt I will be eating lots of off-plan foods, from multiple off-plan food groups. It will be hard to distinguish what effects are from which foods, but I will just go into the situation knowing that. My second dilemma is that I am going to a baby shower this Saturday, just enough time to get back to Whole30 for two days after eating at my grandmothers house. I don't know whether it is a good idea to go into the baby shower with the attitude that I am going to allow myself to splurge if something looks worth it, or if I should bring something to eat that is compliant and try to stick to Whole30. What do you think?--go into the party knowing that I will eat off-plan (potentially setting myself up to fail) or stick to the Whole30 by bringing snacks for myself? The shower is at 10:30am and I'm sure will last a few hours. I don't want to plan to fail, but I also don't want to not be able to eat something off-plan of it seems worth it.

Firstly, I don't think planning ahead so you can enjoy your grandma's cooking (which you know is delicious and not something you want to miss) is the same as scheduling a splurge meal. Sure, it's not the same as a systematic test of one particular food group but  the books say every person has to decide what is worth it for them, and it sounds like this definitely is for you. So enjoy it - savor it, eat slowly and enjoy every single bite, and when you've had enough, stop.

As to the baby shower, timing is such you can have a large compliant breakfast before and probably hold out until after and have a compliant lunch. I would bring some small compliant snack with me as well (just in case nothing appeals and you get hungry), but if there is something there you simply cannot pass up, go ahead and have some. Again, savor it. Think about every bite and when you're sated, stop. I know...easier said than done! LOL!

I haven't tried any of those other butters, but almond butter. Justin's is okay b/c I can buy single serve packs. Trader Joe's is almond and cashew and that stuff is like crack!  CANNOT have it in the house!

I'm doing gluten free grains today.  I had 2 corn tortillas with leftover steak (yay! steak tacos) this morning - so far so good.  It was a nice change for breakfast. For lunch I made some white jasmine rice to go along with my salad and chicken and put some coconut aminos on it for seasoning.  Dinner will include corn on the cob which is something I've been looking forward to- I haven't had any corn at all this summer and I do miss it. I don't eat a lot, but when it's in season will have 2-4 cobs total in a year.

So after 40 days of W30 compliance I finally re-introduced dairy yesterday.

Whole milk with both morning cups of coffee. My W30 compliant lunch topped with smoked gouda (YUM!)

Ahh- I snacked on about 1-1/2 ounces of smoked gouda again before dinner (I was just trying to make sure my system recognized the shot of dairy--at least that's my story). Then out to dinner for Mom's birthday--chicken stuffed with mushrooms & mozzarella, light on the veggies as many restaurant entrees are. I did have a salad appetizer. (The waiter was irritated with me when I asked for oil & vinegar for dressing rather than their balsamic dressing! That's the first time that's happened. Anyway, I held steady.) There was a creamy sauce on the chicken that I don't believe was fully compliant, but I'm just going to move on from that.

The milk in my coffee didn't seem to affect me at all. It gave the coffee a much creamier taste than coconut milk does, but I can live without it--maybe just save it for 'once-a-whiles'.  Same effect for the gouda on top of my lunch--wonderfully tasty, but I can do without most of the time. No ill effects.

However.... snacking on the cheese pre-dinner, I noticed the smoked gouda was becoming a FWOB. Hmmm. I'll be keeping that in mind.

Post dinner I was feeling a little icky and bloated. It may be a result of the sauce on top of the chicken, but I'm keeping in mind that it may be a result of the accumulated dairy over the day.

Back into compliance for the next 3 days. May experiment with alcohol on Friday as a few of us have a private tour of a local whiskey distillery. I am nervous about going 'off plan' twice in one week however, so we'll see how it goes.

Keep Truckin' ;-)

T-mo - I found the same thing with cheese last time I went through reintroductions.  The first bit was good - tasty but could take it/leave it. Then the more I ate the more I wanted. Next thing I knew I was eating it daily again. I find cheese to be sneaky...it cannot be trusted :)  And I agree, that sauce may have had non-compliant oils as well as cream in it so that may very well be what made you feel icky.  If you do decide to indulge at the distillery remember whisky is a gluten-grain alcohol so it may affect you differently (worse) than say tequila, rum or wine would.  Good luck!

I decided to reintro rice last night. My plans have changed--dinner with the grandparents on Friday night instead of Wednesday. This will still allow two days of compliant Whole30 between the rice and the Friday dinner! My husband and I went to a Japanese steakhouse. I ate a little bit of the clear soup, but it was very bland so didn't eat much. I do not think it was miso, so I don't think there was soy in it. I had a salad with ginger dressing--I did not ask the ingredients to the dressing but they are no doubt not Whole30--I just let it slide. I had some shrimp, chicken, a small amount of noodles (but they weren't very good, so it was easy to pass them up), and lots of rice...oh, and lots of yum yum sauce. I realize that rice was not the only off-plan food reintroduced in this meal, but it was what I primarily introduced so if I do have side effects, I will attribute them to the rice. I am not a big rice eater so it will be very easy for me to not include rice in my daily diet. Rice to me is more of a filler than it is a real food. When I used to eat rice it was as a cheap, filling side dish. I wasn't really eating it because I was crazy about the taste.

Last night I ate a bit too much--but who doesn't eat too much at a Japanese steakhouse?! Come on! I felt fine last night but was really craving sweets, like wanted to bake a batch of cookies and eat them all cravings. I do not think it was the rice. In general, my sweet tooth has historically been impressive, driving me to eat upwards of 6-10 cookies in one day. This was one of the main reasons to do the Whole30 for me--get the sugar dragon in check! Well, I thought about it and debated on whether I should have something sweet and almost gave in. I was trying to bargain with myself, and finally I thought--if I give in now, after only 2 weeks out of the Whole30, then that's just no good! I need to have better self control than that. After my Whole30 30 days, I got to a point where I was eating dinner to satiety and not having (or expecting) anything after dinner...besides herbal tea. I was not wanting foods or desserts at all. Food freedom! So I need to get back to that. I think the reason for my cravings are how much nuts, nut butters, and fruit I have been consuming. Near the end of my Whole30 I was still having cravings so I stopped eating nuts, nut butters, and all fruit and the cravings decreased. I am going to do this again, at least for the rest of the week, and see how my cravings respond. I thought, last night, that maybe I should do another Whole30 to get myself back on track...but honestly I think I am doing pretty well besides the sugar dragon roaring. I did not indulge it, but man it was hard! If I can get the dragon back under control by omitting the nuts, butters, and fruits, then I will know that these are trigger foods and I will eat them sparingly. If the dragon is still roaring by Sunday night then I may suck it up and do another full Whole30.

In the meantime, I have decided to allow myself to eat a non-compliant meal at my Grandparent's on Friday night. I am spending the night with them and will either ask my grandmother to make bacon and eggs for breakfast, or I will bring and eat a Rx bar--I just ordered some yesterday and hope they will get here by Friday. As for the baby shower on Saturday, I have decided to bring a small primal pac--I also ordered those yesterday and hope they get here by Friday. I will also much on raw veggies at the shower, if they are available. I have decided to use the rx bars and small primal pacs as emergency foods, where I know that compliant foods will likely not be available. I also ordered some 100% cocoa Criu Bru 'coffee'--has anyone tried brewed cocoa yet? I don't drink coffee (Mormon), but like the idea of something smooth and creamy with only a small amount of caffeine with my breakfast. I know it's August and 90 degrees here in North Carolina, but by September and October, it will be so nice to have a cup of hot roasted cocoa in the morning! Yum (I hope)!

Back to the rice--no noticeable side effects as of the morning after, so I think rice is ok to eat occasionally. I will probably only eat rice when we go out for Japanese hibachi (which is rare) and sushi (which is also rare).

Hi all! I had been doing so well sticking to my Whole45 until day 43! Monday was my birthday and I felt entitled to a piece of cake! Why? I had been doing so well- no cravings and them boom all of a sudden I told myself "it's your birthday, have some cake." I felt physically horrible after eating said cake. I felt a bit nauseous and felt extremely tired, like I couldn't keep my eyes open tired. Even after feeling so bad- I can't get back on track! Tuesday I was compliant, but today I had some snack size Kit Kat's (not telling how many). Ugh! This is what I was afraid of... I knew I was not ready to ride my own bike! My sugar dragon is alive and well and woke it up. Big time!

I'm glad everyone else's reintro's are going well for the most part.

JenX- I'm so glad you've been able to gradually get back into your exercise routine. You'll do great on the 23rd!

Alison - I hope those cravings are letting up a bit.  It may have been the rice since it effects blood sugar just like sugar does. or could have been that in combination with the yum yum sauce and the additional nuts/nut butters/fruit you've been having. Maybe you just hit a tipping point. I'm battling the same thing right now. Ever since I did rice/corn day before yesterday I have been craving a glass of wine big time. Way more than normal!  It almost drove me to the store on the way home last night but I managed to talk myself out of it.  Now, it may have been the simple carbs in the rice/corn, or it may have been that I've let up on the "added sugar" bit of the Whole 30 or maybe it was both. Or maybe I was just over hungry (I was starving yesterday!). So hard to tell sometimes!  But it's something I'll try to be aware of for next time I eat rice. or corn.  I'm glad you beat those cravings back with a stick - good for you!

rdallas05 - HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!  I can certainly see feeling like you deserve some cake on that occasion. Now you need to get OFF the sugar and back ON the bandwagon.  Every time you want sugar, have protein and fat.  Find ways to occupy yourself it you're not really hungry - talk on the phone, get on the forum, go for a walk, throw yourself into a project, etc.. And throw those Kit Kats away! that's an order! :P   Seriously, you know you can do this. You have done it and you will do it.

I'm still having some lingering GI issues since the gluten free grains intro so my dairy test scheduled for tomorrow may need to be postponed. Guess I'll see.  I also want these wine cravings gone before I try out something new that may add to them. No sense in overloading the system. I already know cheese makes me want wine but that's b/c they go together like salt & pepper, kittens & yarn, fish & water. :wub:   That particular combo needs to wait until I'm in wine country in just over a week.

Thanks! I have decided to create my WholeAli through the reintro process. I didn't do this after my first Whole30, and think that I was definitely missing a key principle. By not individualizing the Whole30 for me, I really missed out on how to incorporate the Whole30 principles into my life for a sustained meal plan built just for me.

I have decided to completely omit nuts, nut butters, fruits, larabars, sweets, all gluten (I look pregnant and fart all day long), and dairy (but I am still figuring out 1/2 and 1/2 in brewed cocao, and unsweetened yogurt). By focusing on meat, veggies, and fat, and by not even allowing a sample of these craving-inducing foods, I know I will conquer the dragon! It's so much easier to resist cravings when the meal plan is strict. When I think--maybe I can have two sweets this week--that's when things get hairy, and difficult, and it puts a lot of stress on my delicate brain! I'll let you know how the cravings go. I'm really not a violent person, but the dragon needs to die!

JenX--how are your cravings going? Great job for driving past the grocery store! That is so hard, and you should feel so good about yourself for doing that! Hooray! One small victory after another leads to big victories and milestones!

Rdallas--Just because you have had a slip or two does not mean you are a failure! You completed the program, know the rules and principles, and are able to apply those principles to your life to help you get through this.

Have you written down any "If...then..." Scenarios? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it. They are super helpful, especially during times of cravings/binges, low self-esteem, discouragement, or just decreased resolve in general. I'll share some of mine...

IF I have a craving or want to eat because I'm bored or because it's a habit/routine, THEN I will drink a glass of water and either take a walk, go exercise, spend some time with my husband, take a nap, call someone, etc. to get my mind off of food (and I will not eat any food or bake or look up recipes during these times).

IF I am tempted by my sweet tooth, THEN I will realize I am craving sweets, not eat anything (not even fruit), get my mind off of food by doing a non-food related activity, do not bake or cook during these times, and get back to strict Whole30 until my cravings are under control.

IF I am tempted to eat something off-plan, THEN evaluate whether the food is worth it and if so eat it, enjoy it, do not regret it, and do not feel bad about it (but get back to eating Whole30 for the next 2 days or more if it takes longer to get back to Whole30-good feeling). If the food is not worth it, then eat Whole30 compliant.

To me, getting back on the wagon is first about recognition, and second about action...and third, just keep going. You choose what you eat and know you can do this! :)

Thanks JenX and Alison! I have recommited myself to another Whole30 which began today. I am definitely going to write down some "IF....THEN" scenarios! Great suggestion!

I don't think I'm ready for anything off plan just yet. I do know the rules and principles, but I don't do so well incorporating them into my life. I need the strict rules for now.

:lol:  Yeah...I'm not looking forward to my gluten test at all!  Good for you, rdallas, for getting back on.  you will know when you are ready and you are doing the absolute right thing for you. 

So far, no cravings today but we'll see this afternoon. usually if I'm going to have them they're strongest around 3 or 4pm. I ate a slightly larger breakfast this morning so will see if that helps, too.

Ali - that sounds like a really good WholeAli plan. You'll have that dragon back in submission in no time!

Well, I felt good all day yesterday and I thought my GI issues were cleared up this morning so I included yogurt with Meal 1 to begin my dairy test. But then I had a bout of loose stool and it was too soon after eating for it to have been caused by the yogurt.  Sigh.  that means I won't know if any gastric issues going forward are caused by the dairy. I thought about suspending the rest of the reintroduction - and I know I probably should - but I really want to get through dairy and gluten AND have time to recover before I head to Napa Valley on the 21st.  So, I'm going to forge ahead. I guess I can at least see if dairy makes the IBS-D get worse or if I get any other symptoms.  Like, about 30 minutes after the yogurt I got a minor headache and my stomach hurt. Nothing as bad as what soy did to me, but still...

After I get back from that long weekend I'm going to eat strictly W30 for at least a week, probably 2 weeks or until I feel 100% again and I can retest dairy at that time I suppose. So far I'm not finding anything I want to include with any regularity so my Whole JenX may be awfully  close to whole30 template.  

Happy Saturday.

So after introducing dairy on Monday, I finally felt back to normal by Friday. The lingering effects of dairy weren't huge, just significant enough to notice some changes--bloating and slight GI interruption. I think if I introduced dairy back into my daily diet, the cumulative effects would be greater.

Last night I reintroduced whiskey and oh it was tasty. :)  Some friends and I did a tour of a local distillery--super fun. I was careful about consumption as I had a scheduled morning workout this morning that I didn't want to miss if the negative effects were too great. Happy to say I did make the workout but was a little sluggish. We stopped for food after the tour; I stayed compliant with food but had a microbrew beer with dinner. The first few sips were soo good :) but I noticed that about 1/3 of the way into the beer it didn't hold the same deliciousness that it usually does. I didn't even finish it. It may turn out that beer is something I can give up fairly easily. We'll see--I'll need to decide how beer fits into the greater scheme of my diet. It may turn out that if I decide to cocktail, it will only be with my beloved red wine :) or a bit of whiskey. 

Have a great rest of your weekend all,

-t