7/1/15 - Experiments in Bike Riding

JenX

T-mo, glad you enjoyed that whisky! Sounds like a great day.

I've noticed a strange correlation. The day after I eat things that spike my blood sugar I end up craving wine. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I guess that's how my dragon tends to express itself. It's happened the day after both the GF grains and the dairy reintroductions. Yesterday I barely made it out of the store without putting a bottle in my cart. I did, but it was close!

Dairy did cause additional GI distress- I am not surprised. Those were all high-lactose dairy forms so I'll test high casein dairy later in (hard & aged cheeses). yogurt and cottage cheese need to be left out of my diet going forward, and ice cream needs to be a rare occurrence.

I find I look forward to my compliant days way more than my test days. I can certainly see eating this way in the long term. I just don't want to give up feeling this good for a moment of indulgence. And eating something that makes me feel crummy isn't even an indulgence, is it?! Nope.

Made a tasty hash this morning from diced potatoes, cabbage, onion and mushroom with chicken thigh meat. Great way to start the day.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, yesterday my energy was nil all day. This morning, I didn't want to get out of bed (kept setting my alarm for later and later), and then to top if all off I just wasn't hungry. I didn't manage to eat breakfast until well after 2 hrs after I woke up (or finally got out of bed, that is).  I'm not sure what to think...is this more reaction to the dairy test on Friday? Or was it just the heat this weekend? My energy is better now (after lunch) but I still feel like I could curl up for a nap.

Not getting up is not like me at all. I'm generally a morning person and up with the dawn naturally. If dairy is the cause that would certainly be another reason to exclude it going forward.

gluten test day will definitely be pushed off to either Wednesday or Thursday. that will be my last one, thankfully. I'm looking forward to eating strict W30 for a while as soon as I'm back from my weekend away.  I know I'll have to fight cravings off with a stick for those first few days so will mentally prepare for that fight.

I am feeling much more myself today. I got up at 5:15, 15 minutes before the alarm went off, and was in a good, energetic mood. It was a bit cooler last night so maybe it was the heat afterall. Then again, the rest of my GI issues were gone this morning too, so maybe it was the dairy... Perhaps I'll never know!

As of right now, I hope to test gluten tomorrow so I can get past the worst of the effects before the drive up North on Friday. Fingers crossed!

Not sure if anyone is checking this thread anymore...

I'm going ahead and testing gluten today. I feel I need to have an idea of what side-effects it may have before I get to the land of bread and crackers so I know how strongly I need to avoid it.  I started with some instant oatmeal I had in the house. technically NOT a gluten-containing grain but everything I've read is you should treat it as such unless it's labeled GF, due to probably cross contamination.  Lunch will most likely involve pasta salad from the salad bar at work, and dinner will include a beer, along with some sort of bread product.

This is my last food group to test and I will say the experiment has been eye opening. The fact that certain foods cause cravings the next day, that other foods seem to affect my energy and mood, along with my body, has given me a lot to think about. now I need to work on what to include, if anything, and how often.  I'm going to stick to my rule of no wine at home for the foreseeable future. Open bottles and I don't mix - moderation goes out the window.  I also feel that I won't include diary, legumes or grains at home with any regularity- but can opt to have one of them or worry less about avoiding them when eating out. Sugar doesn't seem to bother me when it's the small amounts in condiments, or even when I include a tsp in my coffee here and there. No more artificial sweeteners though - why eat chemicals?! 

Hope the rest of you are doing well!

oh my dear lord...Gluten is NOT my friend. I slept poorly, I'm bloated, having GI issues AND my joints hurt. Especially my hands and my shoulders. So stiff and its deep in the joint. Inflammation, anyone?  My weekend away will be an exercise in avoiding Gluten at all costs.  Good to know!

• Administrators

I'm still reading along, I think your experiments in bike riding are really interesting!  You're very self aware and are being very diligent about your reintros and watching yourself for ALL the reactions.  You should be the Whole30 Reintroduction Poster Child Woman!  :)

Thanks! I have to say it's made life easier knowing exactly what will happen if I overindulge in certain foods. I'm up in Napa valley and Sonoma so doing wine tastings, eating out, etc but I now have the incentive to eat in a way and eat the foods that make me feel better, not worse. Like last night. I had a huge side salad and burger and didn't eat the bun. My friends had mac & cheese and pizza and they both were whining all night about stomach aches and being overfull. And I didn't feel like I was missing out at all!

JenX

Congrats on sticking to the re-introduction process and being mindful of the food reactions you tested.  I am now back at work after three weeks of vacation.  I was good (on plan - continuing from July) for the first week but we went camping on week 2 and I made the conscious decision to eat off plan for the camping trip (three days, two nights) and stayed off-plan for the next 1.5 weeks.  I am back to strict W30 today. 

It was a couple of years ago that I did my re-introduction and I think it is time to do it again.  I am going to do another W30 (starting today) and then strictly go through the re-introduction protocol again.  I know what bothers me from my 2012 re-introduction but I need to do it 100% this time and take good notes /  make good observations like you did Jen!

Congrats on the success with Napa Valley and keeping our group post alive!

Cheers

DJ

I'm back, and while not strictly back on Whole 30, I will be eating compliantly this week. I need to detox from all the wine! LOL!  I only had one day where I seriously overindulged - and I paid for it by feeling crummy the next day so went forward with a much more moderate mindset. I'm very happy to be back home and back to eating my home cooked food, but I came away from the long weekend with such a sense of well being, that I really can be in control and it didn't even take that much effort. Such a difference from coming back from one of these trips full of guilt and remorse over all the "bad foods" I ate. I'm done with those feeling forever! Now I just have to finish recovering from the half marathon. I walked 95% of it (there was a tiny bit of jogging around miles 6 and 7) and finished in 3:31. Not bad for walking! I'm very sore though, especially in my hips. You use such different muscles walking fast than you do running - I had no idea - every time we got out of the car yesterday I just about fell over I hurt so bad! :o  :)  Advil and rest...and more advil and rest.  I should be right as rain tomorrow.

DJ - I hope you had a wonderful vacation! Glad to see you back.I think you'd find it worthwhile to do another round of reintroductions at the end of this W30.  Your own body will change over time, and you're so much more self-aware, you'll pick up on some of the more minor reactions I'm sure.

I have to say, I still have some foods I'll want to test and/or re-test; specifically, some of the foods I tested as a food group. I'm not sure which, or if both, foods caused a reaction so I'll want to split them out and retest them separately.  It will be an ongoing learning experience and my plan is to keep going back to strict compliance until I feel I'm back to baseline before the next test, so that should help me keep from riding my bike off the cliff this time.

Sounds like a great trip, JenX!

I tried some red wine this weekend at home.  One word - FWOB! I have to say that I think an open bottle of red wine in the house is not a good idea for me either. 

Had a pretty good headache the next morning, but what really surprised me were my horribly puffy eyes with (really) dark circles! Ew. I couldn't help thinking that maybe I had those dark circles every time I drank red-wine in the past but just didn't notice them when my skin wasn't as bright?! The other most disturbing effect was that it took me two days to recover from fresh cravings for, you name it, sugar, bread, etc., etc. :/  However, I'm still keeping in mind that this is all a learning experience!

Back to fully compliant for minimum 4 days (probably more like 8). I think beans/legumes are next for me.

Hope everyone's re-intro is educational!

-t

Well I finally had the nerve (after 60 days!) to try some sugar today after lunch: a chocolate mint and 1/2 of a chocolate chip cookie (my favorite)!

Though delicious, I wasn't able to eat much of either one as it was just too sweet. Almost immediately I can feel a 'heaviness', and technical term here--an 'ickyness', to what I ate. The guilt started creeping in, but I'm just reminding myself that this is a lesson learned and moving on from these treats is totally within my power.  :) 

Wishing everybody luck in your next phase of W30~

t-mo

I was disappointed of the fact my body does not like legumes (peanut butter, hummus) but am glad that I've no really bad reaction to non gluten grains (white rice, corn meal). This weekend I'm going to test dairy (cheese and ice cream). I know that ice cream is filled with sugar too so do you guys recommend I start with a particular brand or flavor?

I picked the one with the most natural ingredients. Turned out to be either Cool Haus or Haagen Daaz for the win (cream, milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla bean). A lot of ice creams have carrageenan in them, or HFCS so be sure to read labels.  Also a plain flavor (vanilla, strawberry, etc) rather than one with a bunch of bits in it (ala chunky monkey) for obvious reasons.

Archived