Favorite steak spices???

Allright... I'll try cinnamon... I barely ever use it in anything else, maybe I'll start

CaGirl... Quality meat is the leprechaun around here... Even though I am surrounded by grass fed / finished farms, they sell all over the nation and it's very rare to get even a 1/4

I marinate cuts of meat -- london broil, flank steak and tri tip in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and let it go for a few hours, up to overnight.  If I don't do that, I rub the meat with olive oil and hit it with salt, pepper and garlic. Simple, quick and surprisingly good. I also will put ghee or a drizzle of olive oil over the meat while it is resting. 

I found a good rub from Pork Barrel BBQ...

Salt

Dehydrated onion and garlic

Spices

Ancho chili pepper

Smoked paprika

Mustard flour  ???

Chipotle chili pepper

Celery Seed

Cilantro

No preservatives / MSG... The Mustard flour throws me off... I searched, didn't find a yes / no on that... I wonder if they mean mustard powder...

If it's all good, I'm ordering more as a go-to when I don't have time to create one of the recipes in this thread

I am a huge Montreal Steak seasoning lover and was sad when I saw it was not compliant.  Weber makes a Chicago seasoning which is kind of close and is compliant.  I've been using that.  The ingredients are salt, dehydrated garlic, spices, dehydrated onion, dehydrated red bell peppers, and red pepper.  I guess I'm curious about the "spices," but its probably left out to protect a proprietary blend. 

This goes to prove that one needs to check labels on everything, even if you know the company... I never knew that until I read some posts here

The Mccormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak I have is fine...

The Mccormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak my Brother has is not

As far as those "spices", you would need one incredible ability to taste or a laboratory, and yeah... They don't want you to be able to copy it

• Moderators

Salt

Spices

Ancho chili pepper

Smoked paprika

Mustard flour  ???

Chipotle chili pepper

Celery Seed

Cilantro

This looks good! Do you think it would be good on pork shoulder for pulled pork? I have all these things in the spice cabinet and a pork shoulder in the fridge waiting for inspiration...

• Moderators

I found a good rub from Pork Barrel BBQ...

Salt

Spices

Ancho chili pepper

Smoked paprika

Mustard flour  ???

Chipotle chili pepper

Celery Seed

Cilantro

No preservatives / MSG... The Mustard flour throws me off... I searched, didn't find a yes / no on that... I wonder if they mean mustard powder...

If it's all good, I'm ordering more as a go-to when I don't have time to create one of the recipes in this thread

Just from googling, it looks like mustard flour is another name for mustard powder. I think it's okay. 

Try it, SugarcubeOD...  I did on steak and burger this past weekend, and it was winner winner kick butt dinner... I even used it on peppers, onions and mushrooms with coconut oil...

Here's their website, it really is inexpensive enough to just buy it, in lieu of trying to figure out the spices part, but I'll try to recreate it anyway

http://porkbarrelbbq.com/

• Moderators

Here's their website, it really is inexpensive enough to just buy it, in lieu of trying to figure out the spices part, but I'll try to recreate it anyway

Oooooh CAAAAaaaaanadaaaaaaa..... no one ships to Caaaaaaanada!!!!! (sung to the tune of our glorious national anthem)

Thanks for the link... I think I'll just use the ingredients they DO list and wing it! Anything you know for sure to be in there? Like a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg or something?

Oooooh CAAAAaaaaanadaaaaaaa..... no one ships to Caaaaaaanada!!!!! (sung to the tune of our glorious national anthem)

Thanks for the link... I think I'll just use the ingredients they DO list and wing it! Anything you know for sure to be in there? Like a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg or something?

I will have to test, but I don't know for sure yet... They are in the Whole Foods system, maybe the nearest to you will order it for you... If not, call the other 3 in Vancouver... I wish their sauce was compliant, because that was money on ribs I made... When I had a life of sugar and carelessness

• Moderators

Ooh you little smarteepants! I only looked on the Pork Barrel online store! I actually (for fear of giving up personal details so someone could find me) work 1 block from a Whole Foods, where I go every morning to get my coffee... it's a stat holiday here so I shall investigate tomorrow and report back! That pork shoulder can wait!

Love the 'life of sugar and carelessness'. Made me laugh!

We're obligated to share the Hartwig's coffee mocha steak rub:

1 Tbsp black pepper, 1 Tbsp ground coriander, 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa, 2 tsp ground coffee.

Grind it all up in a spice grinder...  or a coffee grinder.

Archived