Burnt Ghee

Letthemusicplay6

Ok I'm 99% sure I burnt this batch.  But I just want to make sure since it will be $22.00 wasted.  Yes it does have kind of a "smoky" smell, so I probably just answered my own question.  It doesn't smell nasty or anything though.

Also if I like the way it tastes even though it is burnt. I should not eat it right? Since oxidized fat junk is really bad for me?  

Please confirm,

Thanks everyone.

post-37162-0-16692700-1438401068_thumb.j

post-37162-0-13107100-1438401092_thumb.j

post-37162-0-65269800-1438401106_thumb.j

post-37162-0-00104000-1438401123_thumb.j

• Moderators

It looks more like you 'toasted' the milk solids... Think brown butter... it takes a VERY high heat to actually burn the milk fat so I think you're okay as far as the oxidization goes. If you like the flavor, I say go for it!

Ghee is often left to go until the milk solids toast to give it a nutty flavor, so if you are happy with it -- I say enjoy! Just so you know, there are beurre noir and beurre noisette (black butter and browned butter) sauces in classical cooking, so you just have a bit of international flair to your ghee!  :P  ;)  :D  (it looks fine to me! I like my ghee a bit on the toasted side myself)

ETA: If it was burned, really burned, you would know. Black, separated, icky smelling. If it smells toasted like popcorn, you are good to go. (Beurre blanc -- pretty much clarified butter, for our purposes here)

Thank you very much for your replies SugerCube and Spin spin.

I apologize though, I feel like I should have given more info in my first post so more feedback would be appreciated.

It was a batch of Garlic Flavored Ghee that I've made a lot of times.

What I do is cook the butter on the lowest heat possible for a while until the milk solids rise to the top.  I skim them all off and then I put cloves of garlic in there and let it sit for at least a hour or so on the low heat still.

At the end I usually "Nuke" it for a min or so because turning up the heat really infuses the garlic with the Ghee. I usually turn up the heat to med or sometimes med-high for a min or 2 and when it starts to boil I turn it off right at that moment. When I'm done, sometimes the garlic cloves have a small "hint" of a couple of burns here and there and are soft. Also it never comes out this dark at all.

This time it was boiling for a good min or two before I shut it off.  All of the garlic cloves were burnt totally black and crispy and there was a bunch of black burnt junk on the bottom of the pan.  When I strained it in cheesecloth over a fine mesh strainer, none of that black stuff (that could be seen) got mixed in with the Ghee. My concern was the milk solids that were left on the bottom of the pot (since I skim the ones off on the top before turning the heat up) When they got burned it releases all that bad oxidized stuff into the whole batch of the Ghee.

It tastes great to me though.  But when I google things like "burnt Ghee" from what people describe it is the dark amber color that mine is like. So even if it tastes good I really don't want to eat it if its that bad for me?

Thanks again.

• Moderators

That still sounds delicious to me!

There's no way for us to know if the fat got hot enough to oxidize in the two min it was boiling. My personal opinion is that it would be fine and if you like the flavor, eat it. If it's going to cause you excessive stress or discomfort because you feel it might have oxidized, then it's probably not worth it to eat and you can send it to me ;)

Archived