Reintro foods in addition to, or in place of?

I am reintroducing dairy today, so for breakfast I had 3 scrambled eggs in ghee, 2 pieces bacon (I allow it occasionally), about 1.5 cups or so of sweet potato-zucchini-onion hash sautéed in coconut oil PLUS the addion of 1.5 cups of 2% milk.

My question is: Should the addition of dairy be in addition to my protein (eggs, bacon), veggies (hash), and fat (eggs, ghee, bacon, coconut oil), or should the milk replace some of the protein and fat, so that I am eating about the same calories and macros? I don't typically count calories or macros, but did this morning using My Fitness Pal just out of curiosity. The addition of 1.5 glasses of milk alone added just over 200 calories, and extra protein, fat, and carbs. I'll be honest--now I am feeling kind of guilty for the addition, but before counting calories I felt good about it. I am not sure if this is ok.

Am I supposed to do my Whole30 template with a palm-sized protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and a thumb-sized (at least) portion of fat at each meal, PLUS the extra dairy? This just seems like a lot...

I am reintroducing dairy today, so for breakfast I had 3 scrambled eggs in ghee, 2 pieces bacon (I allow it occasionally), about 1.5 cups or so of sweet potato-zucchini-onion hash sautéed in coconut oil PLUS the addion of 1.5 cups of 2% milk.

My question is: Should the addition of dairy be in addition to my protein (eggs, bacon), veggies (hash), and fat (eggs, ghee, bacon, coconut oil), or should the milk replace some of the protein and fat, so that I am eating about the same calories and macros? I don't typically count calories or macros, but did this morning using My Fitness Pal just out of curiosity. The addition of 1.5 glasses of milk alone added just over 200 calories, and extra protein, fat, and carbs. I'll be honest--now I am feeling kind of guilty for the addition, but before counting calories I felt good about it. I am not sure if this is ok.

Am I supposed to do my Whole30 template with a palm-sized protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and a thumb-sized (at least) portion of fat at each meal, PLUS the extra dairy? This just seems like a lot...

During reintroduction, the recommendation is to test the food group in question at all three meals during your reinto day, keeping all else Whole30 compliant.  Then you follow the Whole30 100% for 2 days, allowing for any delayed reaction before you move on to the next food group.

The template isn't required: I'd say use your best judgment on whether/how to use it during your reintroduction days (based on satiety, not macros). For example, on dairy day, you might cut back on a fat or protein a bit in some meals (e.g, if you have 1/2 - 3/4 cup of yogurt for your dairy), and other meals (e.g., when you add an ounce or two of hard cheese), you'd likely keep the template about the same.  

It has been so nice and brainless to follow the meal plan template these past 30-some days. It's strange to have a little more freedom. It takes a lot more thinking about my meals when I don't exactly follow the template. Thinking is hard sometimes!

I hear you: to me, the template (even though it's recommended and not a rule) is the magic of the Whole30. When I first did the Whole30 a couple years ago, the template struck me as GENIUS.  Since then, I've used it to create the significant majority of my meals. 

Archived