Start Date: August 1

Karen O'K

Karen's First Day on Whole 30

8/1 - Day #1
Breakfast before shopping:
Fresh Crab with lemon, 2 slices watermelon, 2 slices pineapple, 1 slice peach, plan iced tea

Lunch 
Turkey breast (unprocessed kind)/lettuce leaf wrap with tomatoes, cucumbers, and pepperoncini

Dinner
Pork larb salad (with lemongrass, shallots, green onions, garlic, ginger, shiitake mushrooms, bone broth, lime juice, mint, cilantro, shisito peppers, compliant fish sauce, and lettuce). OMG was that ever good!

Today is day 2 of my Whole 30. I woke up ravenously hungry, so I had some compliant roast beef (house made from Whole Foods--known to be compliant) while I made breakfast for me and my housemate--who is doing a Whole 30 minus the nightshades.

Breakfast: pepper bacon, hash made with sun chokes, onions, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, all cooked in bacon fat and then topped with fresh cilantro and avocado. I crisped the hash on the stove--and then the oven, and then finished it by breaking four eggs into gaps in the hash and then baking it a few more minutes until the whites were cooked. When I took it out of the oven, we topped it with fresh cilantro and avocado. It was yummy! Still feeling good. Oh, and we also had a ripe, juicy peach.

For lunch, I had more of yesterday's larb. It was just as good as yesterday, if not better. I had some goji berries with tea in the afternoon and then made a buffalo burger with shiitake mushrooms and roasted garlic and baked sweet potato, followed by another peach and a few dates. It was good. Still feeling good.

I did notice that habitual eating is a problem for me. For example, I went and had a much-needed massage today--and was unwrapping a peppermint before I remembered that I am not doing that any more. I tossed it, but I almost popped it in my mouth without thinking. Lesson learned. I then went to a Toastmaster's meeting, where we normally serve tea and a variety of delectable snacks. I passed on all of them today. The woman sitting next to me was eating from a bag of Hershey's kisses, which she pushed my way, but I didn't eat any of those either. Instead, I ate goji berries and had some tea.

Dinner was a buffalo burger and mushrooms with a baked sweet potato. I snacked on some dates and goji berries while i watched a movie.

Day 3. 

Breakfast was an omelet with avocado, spinach, tomatoes, and onions. And some watermelon.

Lunch was all beef chili, an apple, and some cut up veggies.

Afternoon snack was dried unsweetened/unsulphured mangos and a handful of plain pistachios, along with some prosciutto.

Dinner was some rare roast beef from whole foods. I didn't eat nearly enough veggies today, but I did manage not to cheat. This is easier than I expected.

That said, tomorrow's challenge will be going out to dinner with a friend.

Day 4: August 4.

I woke up hungry. My big challenge today is I am going out to dinner with a friend (to a Hawaiian restaurant). Happily, I have studied their menu and plan to have the Caesar Salad without dressing, cheese or croutons (I guess you call that "Romaine") with seared tuna. I am going to explore the forums for an answer about kimchee, but if that is a no, I believe their Shoyu sauce doesn't have sugar. I'm going to have to ask. My other option is the poke, but I'll have to ask what is in it. If nothing else, it will be seared tuna and romaine. Maybe I can get them to grill the romaine. That always tastes good.

I learned a lot today. I had a BLT without the bread or may for breakfast (wrapped in lettuce) and then leftover Larb salad for lunch, along with some plain dried fruit (blueberries and mango) and a seaweed snack. When I got to the restaurant, it turns out that most everything was covered in sugar or soy sauce, so I had grilled shrimp and salad. It was good and I didn't feel deprived. 

So far so good.

Yesterday was Day 5 and I'm still hanging in there. 

Breakfast: Apple with almond butter. 2 Paleo compliant hot dogs from Whole Foods. Seaweed. Watermelon. (weird, I know).

Lunch: baked potato with ghee, lettuce and other veggies.  (lettuce and other veggies were separate). Plus I had some pistachios,

Dinner (this was the best): Steak, cauliflower roasted with lemon and oil, rainbow chard cooked with Whole 30-compliant bacon, and finished with apple cider vinegar. Dessert was blackberries and bananas in unsweetened full fat coconut milk, topped with toasted coconut flakes (plain, unsweetened). Dessert was scrumptious!

Archived