RX Bar - Confused

Kaytee7

Hi There - Day 15 and doing well.  I bought the RxBar since it is showing as 'approved' by Whole 30.  The Coconut Cacao bar has 'Whole 30 approved' stamped on the back of it.  The ingredient list is: dates, egg Whites, figs, almonds, unsweetened coconut, 100% chocolate, natural coconut flavor.   Isn't the '100% chocolate' something that is no allowed in Whole 30?   Confused about this....Thank you! 

By 100% chocolate I believe they're referring to the cacao content.

Please be aware that these bars, whilst compliant, are for emergency use only and are not to be used as a meal substitue - they are as close as you can get to a candy bar on a Whole30.

If you can plan for an emergency you can plan to have proper food.

By 100% chocolate I believe they're referring to the cacao content.

Please be aware that these bars, whilst compliant, are for emergency use only and are not to be used as a meal substitue - they are as close as you can get on a Whole30.

If you can plan for an emergency you can plan to have proper food.

Hi There - Day 15 and doing well.  I bought the RxBar since it is showing as 'approved' by Whole 30.  The Coconut Cacao bar has 'Whole 30 approved' stamped on the back of it.  The ingredient list is: dates, egg Whites, figs, almonds, unsweetened coconut, 100% chocolate, natural coconut flavor.   Isn't the '100% chocolate' something that is no allowed in Whole 30?   Confused about this....Thank you! 

Looks like you managed to get an RxBar with a Whole30 approved label before the Hartwigs decided to not longer have RxBars (and other bars) as part of the Whole30 approved program. Read this June 4th article here

Issues of whether or not to incorporate food bars into a Whole30 aside, I think an added strike against this bar is the addition of cocoa. Yes, cocoa is allowed as a spice element, but mixing it with dates, figs, or other sweet fruit is a no-go.

From the Can I Have... ? guide

Cacao (100%): Yes

Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it’s not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections. Read our Great Cocoa Debate for details.

Thank you for the feedback.   If I am reading correctly, particularly Munkers reply, we are saying the words "100% chocolate" on the package of the RX Bar is to mean the same at 100% Cacao?  I didn't realize that, but I am not all that familiar with Cacao.   

For the sake of argument, let's just flashback two months before the Email was sent out about RX Bars, and when thousands of other people successfully did Whole30 with RX Bars in their plan. (I bought the book just a couple of weeks ago and it still shows they are acceptable).  My question is really related to the word "100% Chocolate" that is on the package and how that may be acceptable. 

Thank you for the feedback. If I am reading correctly, particularly Munkers reply, we are saying the words "100% chocolate" on the package of the RX Bar is to mean the same at 100% Cacao? I didn't realize that, but I am not all that familiar with Cacao.

For the sake of argument, let's just flashback two months before the Email was sent out about RX Bars, and when thousands of other people successfully did Whole30 with RX Bars in their plan. (I bought the book just a couple of weeks ago and it still shows they are acceptable). My question is really related to the word "100% Chocolate" that is on the package and how that may be acceptable.

Reading Melissa'a article, and taking into account Munkers' post, this sounds like one flavor that should have never been labeled Whole30 approved to begin with. It appears to have slipped under the radar.

Thank you for the feedback.   If I am reading correctly, particularly Munkers reply, we are saying the words "100% chocolate" on the package of the RX Bar is to mean the same at 100% Cacao?  I didn't realize that, but I am not all that familiar with Cacao.   

For the sake of argument, let's just flashback two months before the Email was sent out about RX Bars, and when thousands of other people successfully did Whole30 with RX Bars in their plan. (I bought the book just a couple of weeks ago and it still shows they are acceptable).  My question is really related to the word "100% Chocolate" that is on the package and how that may be acceptable. 

Kaytee, I was wondering the same thing.  So many people have been successful while incorporating Rx and Lara bars, are they really all that bad?

Kaytee, I was wondering the same thing.  So many people have been successful while incorporating Rx and Lara bars, are they really all that bad?

Yes they're really that bad. There are a number of threads about them on here where other members clearly state how dangerous they are to have in their homes.

Many people have completed a Whole30 using RX bars & Larabars. As to their success you should know that many have returned and completed a 2nd Whole30 without the bars (& generally also without dried fruit & nuts/nut butters). I think that's a good enough indicator as to their impact on 'success'.

It is for this reason that RX & Larabars are for emergency use only - like you're sailing across the atlantic in a one man dinghy and all your compliant food supplies (apart from that one larabar you brought for an emergency) have been washed over-board in a storm and you're 8hrs away from land type of emergency.

Honestly, just eat real food.

• Moderators

like you're sailing across the atlantic in a one man dinghy and all your compliant food supplies (apart from that one larabar you brought for an emergency) have been washed over-board in a storm and you're 8hrs away from land type of emergency.

Honestly, just eat real food.

THIS is the only emergency that I've seen spelled out so far that would actually qualify as an emergency in my opinion.  Even the 'stuck in traffic' example doesn't hold water to me.  After being on Whole30 for a short while, ones hormones should be regulated enough that while yes, getting stuck in traffic for two hours might suck, there is NO reason that if you're eating proper template meals that you're going to 'die, just DIE' if you don't eat that Larabar that you conveniently have with you.  Sure, you might get hungry.. ravenous even... but that happening one time by accident, in circumstances out of your control does not qualify as 'need to take emergency stash of Larabars' everywhere I go.  Being hungry isn't going to kill you.  

My two cents...

As the President of the Fruit and Nutty Bars for Global Peace and Happiness Coalition...I've been around, you know.  I have seen.   Hear Al Pacino's voice.   There was a time I might've seen the value of a fruit and nutty bar but I no longer see that. 

They are to be used for emergencies but they're used as a Grab N Go meal replacement.   One woman ate them every morning for breakfast.  Her results were not stellar.  In private facebook land, they schmear nut butters over their fruit and nutty bars and call it dinner.   

There are non-cooking Whole 30's.   They're doable.  Fruit and nutty bars, baby food pouches, nut butters, nuts, dried fruits and fruits.   All compliant.  At the end of a non-cooking Whole 30, the sugar dragon is raging and roaring.  He then bites the head off of the diligent non-cooking Whole 30 member.   

A Whole 30 with home cooked meals will leave you another satisfied customer.  I believe in building stockpiles of healthy food but not fruit and nutty bars or any kind of bar.  There's definitely a thin line to walk through while choosing compliant foods.  

There are the whole foods and the easy, off the shelf packaged foods.  Don't throw yourself headlong into the easy way of packaged foods.  They're only one step away from a candy bar. 

THIS is the only emergency that I've seen spelled out so far that would actually qualify as an emergency in my opinion.  Even the 'stuck in traffic' example doesn't hold water to me.  After being on Whole30 for a short while, ones hormones should be regulated enough that while yes, getting stuck in traffic for two hours might suck, there is NO reason that if you're eating proper template meals that you're going to 'die, just DIE' if you don't eat that Larabar that you conveniently have with you.  Sure, you might get hungry.. ravenous even... but that happening one time by accident, in circumstances out of your control does not qualify as 'need to take emergency stash of Larabars' everywhere I go.  Being hungry isn't going to kill you.  

My two cents...

I can see the danger of these bars for sure and keep a limited amount in my house. I think I've had one during this whole30. I do keep them in my purse for an emergency and for me the emergency is an actual real one-I'm a type 1 diabetic and take insulin. I have lowered my insulin drastically on whole30 (this is my second one) yet my blood sugar still sometimes drops. Part of the fun of being a diabetic ;) The last time it dropped low (under 60), I was out running errands with my kids. My choices were to eat glucose tablets (chalky gross full of dextrose) or eat a Larabar. I ate a Larabar. So, there are some situations out there that don't involve being stuck in an ocean where eating a larabar might just be the best solution to a potential emergency. Doing whole30 as a type 1 diabetic is a whole different ball game...

.... Doing whole30 as a type 1 diabetic is a whole different ball game...

Absolutely, and all of the recommendations are based on a person completing a Whole30 with no medical issues. T1 moves the goal posts slightly, but it is not a reason for incorporating bars of any kind as a matter of course.

Sort of yes.  What is the relationship between 100% chocolate and 100% cacao?  

I believe that cacao corresponds specifically to the de-fatted powder variety (i.e. cocoa or cacao powder) where as 100% chocolate likely refers to unsweetened chocolate with the cocoa fats (cocoa butter) still included. For Whole30 purposes, either would be a compliant ingredient as long as you keep in mind the above discussions regarding treats and mixing cocoa with fruit.

Absolutely, and all of the recommendations are based on a person completing a Whole30 with no medical issues. T1 moves the goal posts slightly, but it is not a reason for incorporating bars of any kind as a matter of course.

No, it's not a reason to incorporate bars as a normal habit but it could be the "emergency" where a larbar or rx bar is an ok thing. What I was responding to was that the only emergency is being stuck out on the ocean and that being stuck in traffic doesn't constitute as an emergency. For me, if I'm stuck in traffic with a low blood sugar, I will grab either a lara bar or a bag of almonds and raisins that I keep with me as well. Just saying that there are more emergencies than being shipwrecked that might call for a larabar ;)

http://whole9life.com/2011/03/the-whole30-type-1-diabetes/

The Whole 30 and Type 1 Diabetes

The Whole30 + Type 1 Diabetes

While many have had life-changing results from our Whole30 program, once in a while we have the opportunity to delve into more complicated “problem solving mode” with our consulting practice. A few months ago, we had such an opportunity with Meggie D., a type 1 diabetic who was having trouble controlling her blood sugars, despite a generally healthy (low-carb/Paleo) diet. We worked with her closely for about a month, making very specific recommendations for meal timing, macronutrient proportion and food choices. This is Meggie’s story.

My experience with Whole30 and Type 1 Diabetes

Melissa @Whole9 says

March 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

You can read more about our program and philosophy athttp://www.whole9life.com/start and http://www.whole9life.com/faq. We’ve had many success stories with our Whole30 program and Type 1 diabetics, and have had our t1D consulting clients achieve great success as well.

Best,
Melissa

Melissa @Whole9 says

July 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

Your health always, always, always comes before the Whole30 rules. If you find yourself in a low, then use whatever your doctor recommends to get your blood sugars back into a normal range, even if that thing happens to be a form of sugar. The idea is to eliminate or reduce these instances of highs and lows with the program, so that you don’t bottom out so often, but until things start to regulate, work closely with your doctor, and follow his/her advice to do what you need to do to keep yourself healthy.

Best,
Melissa

Melissa Hartwig says

August 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm

While it’s really hard to say exactly what’s going on with you without a full consultation, I suspect that your going from little animal protein to far more animal protein is stimulating gluconeogenesis (conversion of protein to sugar), especially if you’ve got some stress going on (lack of sleep, too few calories, psychological stress, etc.

In addition, if you’ve been really reliant on sugar for energy (which I suspect you were based on your description of your old diet), your body is still not fat adapted well enough to start using dietary fat for fuel – and is converting more protein to sugar to keep you going.

This should be a transitional period, as your body adjusts. If you can deal (and your doctor says it’s okay), continue with the program and see if it doesn’t get better within the next two weeks. I’d be surprised if things don’t start to even out by then.

Hope that helps – and again, please make sure you’re working closely with your doc on this stuff.

Best,
Melissa

Thanks MeadowLily. I have had great success with the program and am happy with how I'm doing. My diabetes is also very well controlled-I've been on insulin and a type 1 since I was 11 (24 years now), have no complications, an A1C of 6 (which is as close to non diabetic as you can get) and had 3 healthy children with no complications. I know for me, when my blood sugar goes low (which WILL happen to a diabetic no matter how well controlled you are-I don't have lows very often but I do have them occasionally. I think my last low blood sugar was on Monday), I did something to bring me up quickly. A larabar does work because it not only brings me up, but the added protein in it stabilizes my sugar. I was just pointing out that being shipwrecked isn't the only emergency where a larabar may be the answer (the shipwrecked scenario is one I've seen mentioned on here). Thanks for all the links :)

• Moderators

Just to be extra clear -- a packet of compliant tuna would be a better choice to keep on hand for emergencies. Edited to add: I am not a doctor and I am not versed in diabetics. But I think an RXbar would still be better than a LARABAR for the below reasons.

Next in line, something like a small bag of nuts or an Epic bar.

An RXbar would be an ok choice (though not as good as the above) because they have a good amount of protein. A Coconut Cacao RX bar has 12g protein and 14g sugar.

A LARABAR is an inferior choice. The Cherry Pie and Carrot Cake Larabars have a mere 5-6 g protein, with a whopping 20-23g sugar.

I agree with ultrarunner. I am a type 1 diabetic, and I have been told time and time again, don't do bars or grapes or raisins or what not to bring my blood sugar up. Things that need to be digested do not work -- as told to me by my diabetic nurse. Tomato juice, fruit juice, milk (not done during a whole30) and then protein and fat to hold my blood sugar level. I typically do hardboiled eggs, mayo, or chicken or tuna or whatever protein/fat we have. 

Archived