Wwyd: pre-WO and post-WO meal timing/portions

saucycarter

Hi everyone! I am two days into my first W30, and I wanted to make sure I understood the meal template for pre-/post-WO meals.

I am *not* an athlete, but I do workout 4-5 times a week. My workouts usually consist of an hour-long bootcamp class (1.5 mile run, lots of bodyweight moves interspersed with sprints, etc) OR an hour-long Bodypump class at my local YMCA.

I prefer to attend classes around 8:30-9:30am. In the past, I usually did not eat before a workout except maybe a handful of dry cereal on occasion. So from what I have read in the book and the meal template, here is my plan. I know hard-boiled eggs are usually touted as an awesome option, but at the moment they just make me gag.

- awake at 7:00

- preWO meal at 7:30 - two pork sausage patties?

- exercise 8:30-9:30

- postWO meal at 9:45 - chicken breast and two fingerling potatoes?

How does this look to you, athlete experts? Also, what are your favorite pre/postWO meals?

Additionally, one more question... Should I still eat a "breakfast" meal? I know ISWF instructs to eat a normal meal 60-90 min after my post-WO meal, but generally I start looking for lunch around 11:30am. Thoughts?

Thank you for any advice!

Guest Andria

Since eating a full template meal within one hour of waking is ideal.  I would suggest you eat a full breakfast close to waking, that way you have at least an hour before your workout to digest.  Have your post workout meal at 9:45.  Chicken breast and potatoes are fine, no added fat.

I started my W30 yesterday and I was wondering the same thing. I never ate before my workout, which is usually 6am, 4-5 days a week. I have never been a breakfast eater so I would have a fruit smoothie after my workout...although I did find I was starving not long after. I am following the book's 1 Week template and was shocked to see them say have some leftover spaghetti squash for breakfast!! I have a hard enough time eating breakfast food in the morning, let along leftover dinner. But you know what...I just had it with the egg, as suggested and it was delicious! I did have my pre work out snack but find it hard to have a post as well as a full breakfast as I leave for work shortly after all that. I will see how I feel today, but so far so good. I'm tired but I don't think that has to do with being on my second day, it's my regular feeling and one reason why I'm doing the W30. I'm excited for my second day. Hope yours is going well too! Thanks for the post. 

Melody

I am also still trying to figure out the morning workout meals. I want to fuel my workouts, but don't want to eat too much either. If I ride my bike at 5-6am (usually eating a pre-WO hard-boiled egg at 4:45), should I eat a post-workout meal around 6:30, then eat breakfast around 8, if possible? Sometimes this just doesn't fit into my schedule.

Also, I am wondering about the post-WO carb intake. If I am primarily working out at a moderate pace, I should be burning fat instead of glycogen, and I don't think I would need to replenish glycogen stores by eating starchy carbs. In this case I would only be eating a lean protein portion post-WO. But, if I workout at a higher intensity and burn glycogen stores primarily, then I would need to replenish these post-WO by eating starchy carbs. This means, lean protein and starchy carbs post-WO. Is that right?

I am concerned that eating a lot of starchy carbs will lead to weight gain...

I workout on the morning, and rarely do a pre AND post workout meal. My house is literally 2 minutes from my gym, so I will eat a small pre workout meal before leaving the house (whatever cold protein is handy in the fridge and a handful of olives usually), then make and eat meal1 immediately when I come home. Occasionally, I work out a little later, so I will eat breakfast when I wake up (6:30 or 7), begin my workout around 8, and have a small post workout snack after that.

I am also still trying to figure out the morning workout meals. I want to fuel my workouts, but don't want to eat too much either. If I ride my bike at 5-6am (usually eating a pre-WO hard-boiled egg at 4:45), should I eat a post-workout meal around 6:30, then eat breakfast around 8, if possible? Sometimes this just doesn't fit into my schedule.

Also, I am wondering about the post-WO carb intake. If I am primarily working out at a moderate pace, I should be burning fat instead of glycogen, and I don't think I would need to replenish glycogen stores by eating starchy carbs. In this case I would only be eating a lean protein portion post-WO. But, if I workout at a higher intensity and burn glycogen stores primarily, then I would need to replenish these post-WO by eating starchy carbs. This means, lean protein and starchy carbs post-WO. Is that right?

I am concerned that eating a lot of starchy carbs will lead to weight gain...

Yep, this is correct. The starchy carbs need only be a few bites - about half the quantity of protein.

If you're working at a high intensity that small quantity of carbs will not impact your weight. Just make sure that the remainder of your meals aren't carb heavy unless you feel you need them to keep your mood stable. A fist sized serving per day is the recommended quantity - your postWO is a bonus.

Archived