What do you guys think of Soylent?

I'm curious about people's opinions of Soylent, the scientifically crafted, nutritional slime. This stuff seems aimed at delivering a lot of the same things someone on a Whole30 diet would want, but is using radically different tactics and assumptions. I thought it would be interesting to hear opinions about how good/bad it is.

For those who don't know what it is, here's a link to the website:

https://www.soylent.com/

From a purely nutritional aspect, does it hold up? What are your thoughts?

• Moderators

Soylent includes soy and gluten, so it is an epic fail to start. There is no way to pack the nutrition of a broad menu of real foods into a drink or a powder. Science is not as smart as nature, just more arrogant. 

• Moderators

Um... it's not food. That 'nutritional slime' is not fooooooood! I would be extremely worried about someone's health and welfare were they to engage in some sort of meal plan/way of eating that included that. Extremely worried!

• Moderators

Hahaha! OMG, I just clicked on the website... 'nutrition that won't spoil' 'A one year shelf life...' That's gross! Even if it was somehow made with actual foods to give you actual nutrition, the processing and harm to the food that would have to take place to keep it shelf stable for a year is just a catastrophe!

Purely nutritional... I'll wait until they produce something that resembles nutrition... That ingredient list is ferocious...

That being said, it would fill you up probably... I would live on MRE's long before I tried Soylent

The pre-order part would keep me away as well... Sounds like a crowd funding thing, of which some products never make it to the market, and no refunds are given

The name comes from a Sci-Fi novel published in 1966 called "Make Room! Make Room!". It is set in a dystopian future where the world is overpopulated and to feed the masses a "food" called Soylent is created. This book was the inspiration for the movie Soylent Green. 

OMGosh why would you invent a food substitute and call it Soylent??

Ah get you now! I totally agree, you would think that given the connotation of Soylent from the book you would think they would come up with a new fantastical name for it. 

I know...that's why I don't get why they chose to call a product after something in that book!?

I guess they figure they can get away with it given how few people are concerned about what Monsanto is doing to soy and the general public's acceptance of endocrine disruptors as something that belongs inside them.  Because, you know, they know, right?  What you eat is a conscious decision, right?  Oh, wait, bright shiny light.  Mmmm, momma, more soylent please!  ++good.

Archived