Will fruit be my downfall?

I love fruit. Like, looooove it. I don't even crave or desire any other sweets or anything off-plan. But fruit... that's another story.

I know that it's recommended to have a moderate serving with meals, or even as a rare snack (mini-meal) so long as it is not eaten alone. 

Today I was grocery shopping, and I couldn't help but buy some bananas, apples, raspberries, blueberries, and peaches. Not all for me, I do have a family that likes it too. But I pushed my cart out of the store feeling shame, because I know I will not even be able to resist indulging, especially at night. Like, 2-3 pieces of fruit. I know this sounds bad or weird, but my addiction to fruit is my Whole30 secret shame. I literally crave it, and nothing else.

Am I being too hard on myself? Do you have any thoughts or ideas about overcoming the need for fruit?

(This is my first time posting, please be gentle. :) 2nd round, day 15)

Ok, can you start by finding a more positive perspective to hold about fruit? There is no need to punish yourself with shameful feelings. How would you treat your best friend in the same situation?

Use the Whole30 to experiment with having fruit not out of habit, but only as part of meals and when genuinely hungry as part of a snack with at least some fat and/or protein.

• Moderators

I think you need to treat fruit like someone else would treat... say nut butter. Knowing it's a food without brakes for you means that you need to be aware of what happens when you eat it. It sounds like it's keeping a sugar addiction alive and well. The 'problem' with fruit is that it IS a nutritious food, so eating it in small quantities in the context of a meal is fine. If you're not able to do that without also eating it 2-3 pieces at a time at night as a craving, then it's possible that you need to remove fruit from your diet for a while. There are LOTS of us that don't eat fruit at all. There's nothing that is nutritionally available in fruit that isn't available in greater quantities in vegetables... it may be 'recommended' to have with a meal but it's absolutely not necessary and you absolutely don't need to eat it.

If, on the other hand, you're just eating more fruit right now because it's seasonal and available, then that's, in my opinion, a different story. But again, if allowing yourself to have something that you 'crave' in small doses means you're not able to control it, then it's time to think about taking it away for 30 or 60 days.

Thank you so much for your quick responses! 

Thank you also for the new perspectives and thoughtful advice.

I will for sure try removing fruit for 30 to 60 days, and then try again in meals to see if it's still a problem (thanks, SugarcubeOD). And will also be removing the negative self-talk, thanks Chris!

"If you’re craving sugar, don’t give your body sugar! Eat high fat instead, with a little bit of protein, and tough it out. Break those cravings once and for all. "

Best,

Melissa

Dallas @ Whole9 says

August 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

If you’re craving carbs   (read: SUGAR!),    eat fat and protein.   Giving yourself sugar is NOT the route to go.

Melissa @ Whole9 says

April 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

It may take a week or two… it may take a month or two. Depends on how bad your sugar demons are, and how you treat them during your Whole30. Dallas likes to say you can’t kill the sugar dragon with willpower, you have to STARVE it. So don’t give in to those cravings during your Whole30 by using fruit as a crutch… stick it out and it will get better.

Best of luck to you!

Melissa

This has always worked for me...protein and a fat.  STAT.  

I, too, love fruit.  Your basket actually sounds like it's not enough fruit for my family!  Now, I will also say that I've learned that I need to pay attention to the total carb load I place on my body.  So I don't quite eat fruit like I used to.  I think it's well worth the time and effort to learn how your body deals with it.  But gee, if the worst thing any of us ever ate was too much fruit in the middle of summer bounty, imagine how amazingly healthy we would all be!  So definitely -- the self-talk needs to go.

So I suggest paying close attention.  I am often thirsty when I go for the fruit, so have learned to try for water or iced tea first.  If your electrolytes are out of kilter, you may also need some salty broth instead of a sweeter liquid.  (I have also learned that there are times when the fruit is really what I want!)  Also, how's your emotional state when you're reaching for the fruit?  Fresh fruit is not an emotional support for me, but DRIED fruit is.  And really, dried fruit can get perilously close to candy.  Dates anyone?   :)

So -- I am SURE this isn't a time to feel bad about yourself and I'm glad you listened to the others who pointed that out.  It's a great time to be a sleuth about how you and your body are working together, though!

ThyPeace, produce from our last weekend's shopping trip included apples (10 or 12), bananas (8?), carrots (5 pounds), tomatoes (3), lettuce (27 ounces), kale (1 bunch), peppers (3), cucumbers (4), sweet potatoes (2), onions (3 pounds plus a sweet one for grilling), celery (1 bunch), mushrooms (8 ounces), zucchini (1), yellow squash (1), cabbage (3 packs shredded), watermelon (1 seedless), honeydew melon (1), peaches (2, grilled, OMG fantastic), eggplant (1 large), frozen peas (DD eats them), avocados (3), and probably several things I've forgotten...

"If you’re craving sugar, don’t give your body sugar! Eat high fat instead, with a little bit of protein, and tough it out. Break those cravings once and for all. "

Best,

Melissa

Dallas @ Whole9 says

August 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

If you’re craving carbs   (read: SUGAR!),    eat fat and protein.   Giving yourself sugar is NOT the route to go.

Melissa @ Whole9 says

April 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

It may take a week or two… it may take a month or two. Depends on how bad your sugar demons are, and how you treat them during your Whole30. Dallas likes to say you can’t kill the sugar dragon with willpower, you have to STARVE it. So don’t give in to those cravings during your Whole30 by using fruit as a crutch… stick it out and it will get better.

Best of luck to you!

Melissa

This has always worked for me...protein and a fat.  STAT.  

Thank you for posting this. Advice from M & D is always so accurate and straight to the point. I, too, have been battling my sugar dragon. I just finished my second Whole30 a few weeks ago and have been slow-roll reintroducing. I have been eating 1-2 fruits per day and 1-2 servings of nuts or nut butters a day. I have had two real desserts too since ending my Whole30. Recently though, my sugar dragon has been raging! Even though i have resisted temptation and have not indulged when I am craving, it is so hard and almost feels like I am close to slipping off the wagon. It's scary! And hard! Yesterday I had intense cravings so I decided to take nuts, nut butters, and fruits out of my diet starting today. I am also going to stop eating sweets as part of my reintroduction, even though I really want to bake a batch of cookies. I have been drinking hot herbal tea instead of indulging. I did that throughout the Whole30 as well. What else would you recommend? I want to get rid of my sugar dragon! I feel like this is the only aspect of my diet that is not controlled right now, and I desperately want to stay on track so will take all the advice I can get! Thank you.

Thank you for posting this. Advice from M & D is always so accurate and straight to the point. I, too, have been battling my sugar dragon. I just finished my second Whole30 a few weeks ago and have been slow-roll reintroducing. I have been eating 1-2 fruits per day and 1-2 servings of nuts or nut butters a day. I have had two real desserts too since ending my Whole30. Recently though, my sugar dragon has been raging! Even though i have resisted temptation and have not indulged when I am craving, it is so hard and almost feels like I am close to slipping off the wagon. It's scary! And hard! Yesterday I had intense cravings so I decided to take nuts, nut butters, and fruits out of my diet starting today. I am also going to stop eating sweets as part of my reintroduction, even though I really want to bake a batch of cookies. I have been drinking hot herbal tea instead of indulging. I did that throughout the Whole30 as well. What else would you recommend? I want to get rid of my sugar dragon! I feel like this is the only aspect of my diet that is not controlled right now, and I desperately want to stay on track so will take all the advice I can get! Thank you.

You've read the best advice that money can buy...only it's free.  Eat a protein and a fat.  STAT!

Do not engage the Sugar Carb Dragon.  He uses weasel words.  He is a wily coyote.  Shrewd, clever and sharp.  You're doing the Slow Roll.  Most excellent.  I don't know what fruits you're eating but just trade UP with berries.  They won't do you wrong.  Eat those 2 servings of berries aday with your meals.  

You know the drill.  This ain't your first rodeo.  Those nut butters seem to really entice people.  They can offer more pleasure than they're worth.  I would get those out of the house.  Nuts are not to be used as your primary source of fat.   They tempt you,  so start mixing it all up.  

Buy yourself some other good dietary fats like EVOlive Oil and Macadamia Nut Oil.  You're not going to be lured by those.   I have been taking 2-3 teaspoons of these with a protein when the sugar withrawal process was messing with my head.   

I call it taking a little hair of the dog that bit you.  Do not fear the fats.  It's the sugars that have wrecked all of the havoc in lives.   Fats have never done anything to us but tried to soothe jangled nerves.   They're so calming.  Your brain and body loves fats more than it loves sugars.   

So take your medicine... other good dietary fats.  A little hair of the dog that bit you and you'll be right back in business. 

California Ranch is my favorite EVOO.  The taste is like an herbal, bright, fresh green essence. These have pulled me through some really tough times.  You need to find some interesting olives, too.   Make olive and vege trays.   Pickled asparagus, other compliant vegetables.  The vinegary and olive oil combos will smother sugar cravings.   2-3 teaspoons with a protein when the wily coyote is howling at the door.

COR.jpg

I finished w30 a week ago and have been pretty complient except for some xylitol in my coffee the last weekend decided to have a glass of wine which led to my friend and I to finish the bottle, delicious! He went but what he left in my freezer a month ago was a pint of haugdass ice cream which I sat and eat THE WHOLE pint!..... Well I could blame the lack of discrimination on the wine but I knew exactly what I was doing!

Archived