Drawing a line?

hannahrc

I am about half-way through my first Whole30 and really loving it. Everything I've eaten, for the most part, I've really enjoyed, but I'm wondering where more experienced W30-ers draw the line between enjoying food and using it for comfort? I like to stick to a routine with food to simplify so I find myself eating the same things I like often, I've always felt in control and have had very very few sugar cravings since day 1. But none of my meals are particularly bland- I always include things I enjoy. Is this okay?

• Moderators

Food should taste good. I enjoy everything I eat. I think you should too.

However, variety is important. I make a point of planning a variety of different foods every week. I let what is growing on my local farm decide what veggies I consume with the exception of making sure I have a starchy veggie every day. And my local farmer is in love with variety, so I often get lots of different things from him. Then I rotate through different beef roasts, ground beef, lamb, liver, and fish. I cook a whole chicken once or twice per month and cook a pork roast about once per month. I have cooked almost every veggie sold in the produce department of my grocery store. I recommend you adopt that as your project too. :)

I try and rotate my proteins every few days -- course depends on if I have made a chili or stew or a roast or if we are have something like hamburgers that is a one day meal. I rotate my veggies too and how I prepare them. I think if I left my hubby to his own devices he would eat the same meal day in and day out every day of the month. 

I do pork chops a few times a month, beef in various forms, chicken a few times-- less if I do a whole chicken, more if I just do parts. I cook offal too -- we really love beef heart in stew and chili -- just need to let it go for a long time to be really tender. I do fish for my lunches and sometimes breakfast since hubby is allergic to finfish.  Veggies are roasted or steamed or we have salads. Variety is the spice of life!

• Moderators

But none of my meals are particularly bland- I always include things I enjoy. Is this okay?

This is DEFINITELY okay!  You should enjoy your food!  There's nothing in the rules or recommendations that says that you should ever have to have a bland boring meal and you should ALWAYS include things you enjoy!

Food should taste good. I enjoy everything I eat. I think you should too.

This!!

I generally make really good food. I feel no guilt about eating delicious things that are good for me. The point of the Whole30 is not to take enjoyment out of giving yourself the nutrition you need! It's to give you the tools and information you need to be the healthiest you can be.

If you start mindlessly chomping frozen grapes or slices of bacon because well, they're Whole30-compliant, or eating just because you're in front of the TV and that's what you do when you watch TV, that would be a different issue. But just really enjoying a variety of nutrient-dense food? Awesome.

I tell people all the time that I cook and eat more delicious food now than I did before going paleo.

Archived