The good and bad

quigmonster

Finished and I found it easy. I didn't notice the huge changes that so many others talked about. I think that had to do with the fact that I started in a good place. I started with tons of energy. I have never been into sugar. Even on vacation I found meals easy to arrange.

The good. Slimmed down from 158 to 147. Lost my belly fat.

The bad. My very good and stable cholesterol numbers increased 85 points. 159 up to 244.

Finished and I found it easy. I didn't notice the huge changes that so many others talked about. I think that had to do with the fact that I started in a good place. I started with tons of energy. I have never been into sugar. Even on vacation I found meals easy to arrange.

The good. Slimmed down from 158 to 147. Lost my belly fat.

The bad. My very good and stable cholesterol numbers increased 85 points. 159 up to 244.

Note that cholesterol can sometimes temporarily increase with weight loss.  What is your current HDL level?

Not likely bad, for several reasons. A total number in cholesterol is virtually meaningless; it's the breakdown that tells you something (though even that is pretty controversial....). Chris asked about your HDL, since that tends to go up when folks clean up their eating (and high levels are generally protective) and depending on LDL particle numbers, higher LDL isn't even necessarily a problem. But most importantly - as you also heard from Chris - right after/as we lose weight there's sometimes a jump in all of the numbers so in any case it's likely temporary. If it stays high, take a look at Peter Attia's work before getting worried. He's got at least one Ted talk and there are others out.

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a good and successful W30!

Again: cholesterol will increase temporarily with weight loss. This is normal and expected. Do not panic.

While I appreciate your optimism, since all the males on my fathers side of the family have dropped dead of heart attacks, I think I will be a little concerned. I worked hard to bring my total down below 160 and I was excited to get my ratio to a 1.5. A 3.6 and a 240+ is a little disconcerting.

• Moderators

No one on the forum is a medical professional and what MissMary was getting at is that it's very common to see a change in numbers right after weightloss.  It usually corrects itself.  In your own context, given a family history, common or not, it's good you're going to see your medical professional.  Good luck!

Archived