New joint pain in Reintroduction phase

MellieG

I'm a couple weeks into my Reintroduction phase and experiencing NEW joint pain.  I've had chronic pain issues for several years which traveled around to different points in my body, but never had joint pain like this. ( Overall my pain levels definitely went down toward the end of Whole30.)  So, QUESTION # ONE:  Is there a "scientcie" explanation for this?  I've read about other physical reactions to reintroduction after clean eating, but not this specifically.  

I did "reintroduction" days with  wine, Non-gluten grains and dairy, and seemed to do fine.  Then, we attended a week long family reunion where I didn't have much control over food. (I know, horrible timing!) Some wine, gluten, dairy and sugar definitely consumed! Felt ok, at the time, but now having these joint aches.  Back to Whole30 eating to try and calm things down.  But, I'm not sure exactly which food group is the culprit.  I know every body is different, but  QUESTION # TWO:  is there a more "popular" inflammation culprit (food groups) and could be causing this joint pain reaction??

Thank you!!!

MellieG

• Moderators

The amount of off-plan foods that you eat matters to your response. Some people reintroduce a limited amount of a food and do fine, but later when they eat that food in greater quantity, they begin to suffer. In sciencey language, your response is dose dependent. A little may be okay, when more than a little may not be.

Grains are implicated in joint aches more than most other foods with maybe legumes being in second place. 

I don't know why you might only now be experiencing joint pain versus other pain issues. 

The dosage information is very helpful and makes sense!  By "grains" are you referring to both gluten and non gluten alike?  I was under the impression that gluten was more problematic.

Thank you for your input!   :)

• Moderators

Gluten grains cause more harm to more people than non-gluten grains, but some people respond badly to non-gluten grains too.

My favorite recipe is a stir fry of ground beef with onions, potatoes, and some kind of fresh green with dried cranberries. :)

Archived