Gonna fight to stay whole.

J9er

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@J9er you tested positive for Sibo, right? Since your treatment, have you had a follow-up SIBO test? I just got my results this morning and I still have it (did the treatment in Nov/Dec)... the numbers seems better, but I'm disappointed. Doing a lot of online research now to see what I can do on my own (low FODMAP?), will be meeting with MD next month. Hmmm...

I did not specifically test positive for SIBO, my issue was mainly in my entire colon, not so much my small intestine, which is interesting. Yes had bacterial overgrowth with zero probiotic population and as well as major yeast overgrowth, and leaky gut. My MD thinks that a lot of my issues stem from parasites, so most of my treatment has been focused on ridding myself of parasites, which has proven very difficult. 

I haven't done any further testing since starting the treatment. My MD wants to test again, but I just can't right now. I will probably once my life settles down a little bit, but I feel like if I open cans of worms, it'll just be too much for me to handle right now. We agreed we would continue treatment based on how I'm feeling, which is pretty darn good.  

Your numbers are a bit better, how are you feeling? I know SIBO can be a major challenge to overcome, sorry I don't have much more to offer! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

He's in his co-sleeper crib!  I have 2 hands!

https://www.coffeeandcrumbs.net

There are a lot of stories on there from mom's like me... who have babies that cry, that don't want to be put down, that don't eat every 3 hours and sleep in between feeds in their crib, who aren't on anyone's schedule but there own... as well as some stuff about the parts of postpartum that for some reason society doesn't like to talk about - pain from difficult births (check), complete and total lack of sleep (check), a "fussy" baby and the strain it has on mom (why can't I help my baby!?) and dealing with the people who tell her to just let the baby cry it out (and then suggest she see a therapist for postpartum depression because she cries at the image of ignoring her crying baby)... (check).  Basically - it was a really nice resource for women for whom life didn't seem to follow their plan (essays on infertility and miscarriage too).  It sounds totally depressing huh :)?  But in a good way.  An "I'm not alone in this" way - because let me tell you - at least in my neck of the woods - though shalt not speak of how hard the "fourth trimester" is.  But man, is it HARD.  I hope that she has an easy baby and has no need to read stories like the ones on there - but if she does, keep that one in your pocket to pass along :)

On 2/7/2017 at 11:27 AM, J9er said:

I did not specifically test positive for SIBO, my issue was mainly in my entire colon, not so much my small intestine, which is interesting. Yes had bacterial overgrowth with zero probiotic population and as well as major yeast overgrowth, and leaky gut. My MD thinks that a lot of my issues stem from parasites, so most of my treatment has been focused on ridding myself of parasites, which has proven very difficult. 

I haven't done any further testing since starting the treatment. My MD wants to test again, but I just can't right now. I will probably once my life settles down a little bit, but I feel like if I open cans of worms, it'll just be too much for me to handle right now. We agreed we would continue treatment based on how I'm feeling, which is pretty darn good.  

Your numbers are a bit better, how are you feeling? I know SIBO can be a major challenge to overcome, sorry I don't have much more to offer! 

Zero probiotic population, woah!  I had to deal with the parasite issue too, so I empathize with you! Luckily my tests for that stuff just came back clear (good thing, because I had to take a pretty heavy duty medication that was also very expensive and had weird side-effects). I hear you on the difficulty of doing follow-up testing while you're in transition, some of those tests are so complicated to prep for and complete! This gut-healing journey is certainly an ongoing process that takes commitment and a lot of patience/perseverance... good luck to us both. 

On 2/7/2017 at 4:34 PM, littleg said:

He's in his co-sleeper crib!  I have 2 hands!

https://www.coffeeandcrumbs.net

There are a lot of stories on there from mom's like me... who have babies that cry, that don't want to be put down, that don't eat every 3 hours and sleep in between feeds in their crib, who aren't on anyone's schedule but there own... as well as some stuff about the parts of postpartum that for some reason society doesn't like to talk about - pain from difficult births (check), complete and total lack of sleep (check), a "fussy" baby and the strain it has on mom (why can't I help my baby!?) and dealing with the people who tell her to just let the baby cry it out (and then suggest she see a therapist for postpartum depression because she cries at the image of ignoring her crying baby)... (check).  Basically - it was a really nice resource for women for whom life didn't seem to follow their plan (essays on infertility and miscarriage too).  It sounds totally depressing huh :)?  But in a good way.  An "I'm not alone in this" way - because let me tell you - at least in my neck of the woods - though shalt not speak of how hard the "fourth trimester" is.  But man, is it HARD.  I hope that she has an easy baby and has no need to read stories like the ones on there - but if she does, keep that one in your pocket to pass along :)

Thank you! I will save that for my arsenal For sure. 

Obviously I don't have personal experience, but I have a lot of friends having (have had) babies, and man, it IS HARD! I see time and time again the struggle that goes on, and it is humbling for sure. Especially with how much pressure there is to be "perfect" - have to breast feed, but not too much cause that weird, but if you stop, you're a bad mom. Have to do baby led weening, have to let them cry it out, oh and mean while you have to consistently shower and look presentable, keep your house clean, and eat well because you have to get your body back otherwise you're a hot mess. UGH!!!!!! 

Anyways, that will be a good read for her I'm sure. 

T minus one week till move date. Trying to remain calm still. Have a lot going on and I'm feeling pretty anxious, I won't lie. I'm hoping one day this will all get easier or feel more 'normal'. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still alive! 

Will update soon. But here's a little sneak peak of what we've e been up to. Still in a hotel but I've hiked every daybpretty much. The fresh air is amazing.

feel pretty lucky to call this place home. This trail is just 15 mins from our house.  

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

• Whole30 Certified Coach

So jealous...  You look so happy!  Yeah!

Hope future niece is cooking well and that sis is doing good!

I'll PM you a pic of little man, don't want to clog up your log :)

I agree with @littleg - you're looking fab!! So happy & healthy!! The whole house moving thing obviously agrees with you, and can I just say I think your new home looks amazing, and not unlike my home where the mountains meet the sea and/or lakes although we're still very much in coats & hats here!! LOL

Looking forward to more of an update when you're properly settled - have you found a local functional Dr or are you staying ing in touch with your old one? Or being brave and going it alone...?

I just got back from 10 days in Portland, what an amazingly wonderful city. Great people, lots of interesting things to do, beautiful mountains and outdoor activities, excellent public transit system, best book store on Earth (Powell's), and a 100% Paleo restaurant that was a-m-a-z-i-n-g (The Cultured Caveman). I had an absolute blast!  If it wasn't for the endless rain, I could totally imagine living there. Enjoy your new digs @J9er!

Thanks all. 

Yes, it is amazing here. Haha @vozelle yes it does rain a lot here. I grew up on the west coast, so it is nothing new for me, but it is rather grey. I threw an extra rain coat in my car today with a couple towels and a change of clothes.....no excuses now :). Does it rain as much as Ireland @jmcbn? I don't think so.....We are just far enough south here that the weather has warmed up considerably compared to those a little farther north. Actually about 20 mins after those pics were taken we had freezing rain which turned into a torrential downpour. 

We had a super sunny tromp in the woods today, was lovely warm too. I will be out as much as possible now as its wild flower season. 

I'm going to continue on with functional doc via distance. We had our first online appointment the other day and all is well. Continuing with parasite protocol....they are stubborn buggers, and extra sugar lately probably hasn't helped. Otherwise, startingnto add back in some vitamins I was low on and will start repopulating my gut with pre and probiotics after parasites are under control. 

We decided a whole15 would be good for me. Over all I feel well, and eating has not been too bad despite living out of a hotel for weeks, but I just want to reset after questionable ingredients at times and more sugar than I'd like to have had. I will finish out my grass fed heavy cream I've been having in my coffee....and then start :)

Have done no lifting for 3 weeks now. A bit of body weight stuff here and there. I'm fine with that. I  working hard on keeping my stress low, and I'm really ok with not taxing my body too much right now. I know I'll be back at it soon enough. I do miss it though. 

Anyways, back to the sleep struggle after daylight savings time....that one hour is really the devil!! 

Archived