need help.

I haven't been put on the whole30 bandwagon for quite some time due to health issues. I found the whole30 was unfortunately another stress for me mentally.

I have recently been diagnosed with facet joint hypertrophy - from what I understand it is degenerative. I am only 24 and I assume my back pain is going to get worse. 

I also have problems with the nerves in the back of my head causing a lot of pain. I have just been put on baclofen for this reason.

I struggle with IBS and I have been following a low fodmap diet with a liquid probiotic - this has given me some relief. 

However I rely on white rice a lot as a 'safe' food - rice cakes, rice spaghetti, etc. A certain level of soya has also crept back into my diet. I can't tolerate avocado and I struggle with putting coconut oil on EVERYTHING as a fat source. I don't like olives either haha :)

Long rambling post short, can the whole30 help me with my health problems, and my back pain (I know it's not a physical therapist but I'm seeing an osteopath on Friday)

This diagnosis also drastically alters my gym schedule and I'm having to come to terms with the fact my life will involve quite a low level of activity, not the high impact stuff that I love. :(

• Moderators

Eating meat, fish, vegetables, natural fats, and a bit of fruit will improve your health. Nothing will cure everything you are reporting in 30 days, but eating the dense nutrition of Whole30-favored foods is all good. 

Rice may (or may not be) safe for you, but it is nutritionally weak. You would need to find starchy veggies that work for you during a Whole30. Many people eat potatoes, but there are other choices - parsnips, rutabagas, plantains, taro, yucca, beets, turnips, etc. 

Thankyou :) I agree. I want to give my body the best chance really and minimise any inflammation which won't be helping. I keep thinking that 'white rice pushes something more nutritionally valuable off the plate' 

FSW - do you eat eggs?

The reason why I mention this is because I recently discovered that eggs give me pretty bad inflammation.

I have Chondromalacia - which is basically the cartilage in my knees are worn down more than 50% in some places.  I was going through physio and as my body was healing my hip was starting to get inflamed and ache as well.

Based on a hunch I cut out eggs for a week.  The inflammation went down, and my knee and my hip, and I had eggs a week later and the inflammation flared right up again.  So I came to the conclusion - eggs - not my friend and eat only on occasion (I love eggs - very sad to see them go, but happy to find a solution to my chronic pain)

FSW - do you eat eggs?

The reason why I mention this is because I recently discovered that eggs give me pretty bad inflammation.

I have Chondromalacia - which is basically the cartilage in my knees are worn down more than 50% in some places.  I was going through physio and as my body was healing my hip was starting to get inflamed and ache as well.

Based on a hunch I cut out eggs for a week.  The inflammation went down, and my knee and my hip, and I had eggs a week later and the inflammation flared right up again.  So I came to the conclusion - eggs - not my friend and eat only on occasion (I love eggs - very sad to see them go, but happy to find a solution to my chronic pain)

Hi Carlaccuni - yes I do eat eggs, most days in fact. What a shame if they're a trigger as I rely on them a lot!

Not in this group...... but yes in SAD circles yes.  Yolks are demonized for having high cholesterol - which we know now that our bodies actually absorb very little dietary cholesterol.  Egg yolks are the nutrition powerhouses. Whereas egg whites are just pure protein - not much else.  (Google: Eat the Yolks for more info)

The egg is best consumed whole, however those people who are prone to autoimmune issues (I am one) generally have issues more with the whites, rather than the yolks.  Some people have zero reaction to pastured chicken eggs, but cannot touch a factory farmed egg.

Hi,

I have facet joint issues in my 20's resulting in nerve ablation.  I know the pain you are going through.  Yes the whole30 will and does help.  You are minimizing inflammation in those joints which can irritate the nerves.  Not to mention the cycle of depression and anxiety caused by pain.  It is so H A R D. To be in pain, have your life turned upside down by not being able to do the things you love.  I have been there and am here again now.  I just finished a fantastic whole30 only to added to my back issues and ended up with three steroid injections that have literally undone everything I have been working on via the whole30.  I made it through with having food at the ready in the fridge - using one day a week to prep - even when I was in massive pain.  I just kept telling myself that I needed top give my body what it needs to get through the chronic stages.  I can tell you as someone with facet issues that started at 24 and I am now 40 you'll get better, you'll have setbacks and then you'll have beautiful stretches where you will forget about it.  Find a really good chiro, stick to the whole30 and try to find something that makes you happy however silly it is :) That's the hardest part the pain is so all consuming it is hard to live...

Big Hugs!

Sorry to hear about your back pain-chiro is good but PT is better in that they can teach you how to help yourself! Body Mechanics, posture, core strenghening, and home modalities can and should be part of your arsenal, as well as nutrition. Get in the pool-both you guys and unload your spine!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I see a PT who does manual physical therapy - so there is a lot more to the visits then him watching me do exercises (what I found with all other PTs I've seen).  The two practitioners at the office I go to have gotten me out of some pretty nasty joint/muscular "lock ups".  I believe there is specialized training for manual PT, might be worth trying to find a practitioner.

Archived