Whole 30 & Period

mommkat1256

• Moderators

It definitely could be a combination of the two... I would advise ensuring you have a starchy carb (fist sized serving of sweet potato/potato/beets/carrots) every day of your period.  Also, people report needing increased sustenance in the week leading up to their period as well, so if your cycle is such that you'll be getting it again during Whole30, make sure you're eating that starchy carb every day in the week leading up and if you feel more hungry than usual, that's totally normal.  Lots of women here report doubling their intake in the week leading up and week of their period.  So your extra tiredness could be from not having quite enough nutrition leading up.  Eat up!

Okay, so I'm on day 2. I feel NONE of the emotional ups and downs I had on my past several cycles. Yes, still some pain and cramping, but I feel more like myself. If I'm out of it for a few hours, we can deal with that.. it was a few days that was getting to be too much to bear. 

It definitely could be a combination of the two... I would advise ensuring you have a starchy carb (fist sized serving of sweet potato/potato/beets/carrots) every day of your period.  Also, people report needing increased sustenance in the week leading up to their period as well, so if your cycle is such that you'll be getting it again during Whole30, make sure you're eating that starchy carb every day in the week leading up and if you feel more hungry than usual, that's totally normal.  Lots of women here report doubling their intake in the week leading up and week of their period.  So your extra tiredness could be from not having quite enough nutrition leading up.  Eat up!

I'm so glad to hear this...I was crazy hungry yesterday & today and kind of feel like a bottomless pit.  I should be starting in the next 1-2 days, and I always feel like my appetite increases that week, but used to feel a crazy sense of guilt from the amount of food I ate.  I also am having stronger cravings which is weird because I just finished Day 29, and for the most part haven't had too much of an issue with cravings or temptations...I'm wondering if it's tied to my period, as well...needless to say, I think I'm going to postpone re-entry for another week or so...I'd rather wait and do it slowly after my period, than to try navigating it while I feel super hungry, cravings, and essentially have a lot more freedom with my food choices all of a sudden.

I'm so glad to hear this...I was crazy hungry yesterday & today and kind of feel like a bottomless pit.  I should be starting in the next 1-2 days, and I always feel like my appetite increases that week, but used to feel a crazy sense of guilt from the amount of food I ate.  I also am having stronger cravings which is weird because I just finished Day 29, and for the most part haven't had too much of an issue with cravings or temptations...I'm wondering if it's tied to my period, as well...needless to say, I think I'm going to postpone re-entry for another week or so...I'd rather wait and do it slowly after my period, than to try navigating it while I feel super hungry, cravings, and essentially have a lot more freedom with my food choices all of a sudden.

Please eat and fuel your system!  There is no reason to be frighted in consuming 3 really large meals prior to your period.  4 if you need it.  Also make sure that you are getting enough starchy veg.  I will eat starchy veg nearly at every meal the week before my period.  Also my meals pretty much double in size too.

I know that conventional wisdom tells us women that we should be frightened to have a healthy appetite.  At the whole 30 we tell you to throw that out the window.   Eat to sustain yourself and follow your hunger cues.  Our bodies use up a ton of energy and resources when we are getting ready to menstruate.  

So please up.  Your appetite will go back to normal afterwards.  

I'm on birth control and, typically, my PMS symptoms aren't too bad. I usually have some mild cramping and I do notice that I'm MUCH hungry while on my period. Today, however, (and this is my first period on Whole30) I was incredibly irritable, at one point during the day I felt really dizzy and like I might have fainted if I wasn't seated. I did a 30 minute low impact cardio video and felt super weak and tired after. But the worse part is I just got hit with possible the worse cramps I've ever experienced in my life! I did a quick scan of some of the other threads and it sounds like I'm not the only one. I get that I should eat more if I'm hungry (not a problem--I always listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry) but do people have any tips for dealing with really painful cramps? Seems like things like Ibuprofen should be avoided? Is that right?   

• Administrators

You can take ibuprofen if you need it. If you are able, Tylenol is a better option as it is less gut disruptive but some people cannot take Tylenol (I cannot, for instance).

As far as hard cramps, hot water bottle/heating pad, hot bath. I find taking Robax is extremely effective because as a muscle relaxant it helps relax the entire rest of your body which can help with getting through cramps. You can also try some essential oil blends (there are some premade ones that are for women's issues). I have one with geranium and clary sage that I can massage into my midsection/uterus area and find that it helps quite well.

Yeahhhh, I'm in this boat right now. Perhaps it's a good thing though. I can get both my period misery out of the way AND any hangover knocked out at once! 

But seriously, I think a T-Rex is trying to nom it's way out of my uterus.

Question.....I used to eat horribly.  I am currently on Day 22.  I have not had a period in probably 3 years and the yesterday.....TA DA....I got my period.  A little concerned at first but it just like when I used to have it.  In reading through articles here and on the web, I am guessing my hormones were totally out of whack.  Has anyone every experience this?????  Was so hoping I was over this period of my life....but oh well....guessing that means my body is beginning to heal.

Question.....I used to eat horribly.  I am currently on Day 22.  I have not had a period in probably 3 years and the yesterday.....TA DA....I got my period.  A little concerned at first but it just like when I used to have it.  In reading through articles here and on the web, I am guessing my hormones were totally out of whack.  Has anyone every experience this?????  Was so hoping I was over this period of my life....but oh well....guessing that means my body is beginning to heal.

It could be that your hormones were out of whack and that Whole30 regulated everything as my periods seem to become more regular on Whole30,

But typically if a woman is thought to be post menopausal and then develops vaginal bleeding again, you should see your gynecologist to discuss it.

• Moderators

Like Cassieandrae said above, this might be something to talk to a doctor about. It might just be that your hormones are back where they should be and you're not done with that period of your life, but having not had one for three years (unless you were on some kind of birth control to stop it), vaginal bleeding could be a sign of something wrong.

I sincerely hope it's just that you're getting your period again, but at least call your doctor and ask about it, and certainly if it seems heavier than it used to be, lasts for longer than it used to, or is accompanied by unusual pain, you would definitely want to talk to a  doctor.

Like Cassieandrae said above, this might be something to talk to a doctor about. It might just be that your hormones are back where they should be and you're not done with that period of your life, but having not had one for three years (unless you were on some kind of birth control to stop it), vaginal bleeding could be a sign of something wrong.

I sincerely hope it's just that you're getting your period again, but at least call your doctor and ask about it, and certainly if it seems heavier than it used to be, lasts for longer than it used to, or is accompanied by unusual pain, you would definitely want to talk to a  doctor.

Thanks ladies...it has been the same as before but I did contact my Dr. and I have an appointment next Tuesday.  I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

I am on day 13, got my period today and I also felt like I had been hit by a truck!! Started to feel really funny and had bad cramps in the afternoon then had to go straight to bed for a nap after work. I feel a little better now, made sure I had starchy carbs with dinner but have a super long day at work tomorrow so hoping my energy levels pick up a bit. Early to bed tonight x

I'm on Day 12. I started my period this morning, TWO WEEKS EARLY! Has anyone else experienced this? I thought I had timed my whole 30 to miss most of it. I've always been very regular, so I was very concerned, but these posts have made me feel somewhat better. I've had no cramps, no cravings, none of my normal period issues. Although, this may explain why I wanted to strangle my husband on Saturday. Thanks ladies

Hi! I've read through all of these and none really seems to answer my question...I started my period two days before I started whole 30...I'm now on day 13 and I STILL HAVE MY PERIOD. Incase you didn't count that's bleeding for 15 days now. Is this normal? I AM on birth control and trying to figure out why my pills aren't stopping my period. Was my diet that bad before and my hormones are just super confused? Please! Make the bleeding stop!

• Moderators

Was my diet that bad before and my hormones are just super confused? Please! Make the bleeding stop!

It's hard to say if your diet was 'that bad' before... do you want to share some information about what your diet used to consist of?  If you're very concerned, you can go to the doctor and tell them that you've changed your eating habits.  15 days is a bit excessive... is it actual period or spotting/breakthrough bleeding?

None here are doctors, so we can't really make the bleeding stop but perhaps if you share some more information about yourself and your situation.  Do you have a history of irregular periods or anything that might make your situation more unique?

It's hard to say if your diet was 'that bad' before... do you want to share some information about what your diet used to consist of? If you're very concerned, you can go to the doctor and tell them that you've changed your eating habits. 15 days is a bit excessive... is it actual period or spotting/breakthrough bleeding?

None here are doctors, so we can't really make the bleeding stop but perhaps if you share some more information about yourself and your situation. Do you have a history of irregular periods or anything that might make your situation more unique?

Right right. So I was eating a lot of chips, potatoes, corn, LOTS of bread and cheese. My period has been normal my entire life. And yes it's actual bleeding. I'm on birth control for preventative reasons. It DID get spotty and almost stop with my first week of pills but as soon as I started my second week it came right back. It's a full blown period not just spotting.

• Moderators

I'm probably way too paranoid about this stuff because of some of my own personal health history, but if I were you, I'd recommend calling or emailing your doctor's office and explaining your symptoms and see what they say.

Whole30 eating does affect your hormones some -- we have lots of people on the forum reporting changes in their cycle -- but a continuous period for a couple of weeks straight is not a thing that most people experience. It may be that your doctor thinks it's nothing, or it may be that they want you to come in and get checked out (at the very least, they may check that you're not becoming anemic) -- but at least you will get something a little more definitive from your doctor than you will from a bunch of non-medically-trained people on the internet.

I'm on Day 12. I started my period this morning, TWO WEEKS EARLY! Has anyone else experienced this? I thought I had timed my whole 30 to miss most of it. I've always been very regular, so I was very concerned, but these posts have made me feel somewhat better. I've had no cramps, no cravings, none of my normal period issues. Although, this may explain why I wanted to strangle my husband on Saturday. Thanks ladies

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've been on the pill for six years, and this whole time I've had super-regular periods—they'd start every four weeks and last exactly four days.

My next period is supposed to start next week, but it started a couple days ago! It also only lasted two days instead of four, and—sorry if this is TMI—it was a different colour than it usually is. I'm a little freaked out.

I just finished Day 30, and I think it was around Day 17 that I introduced digestive enyzmes to my diet. I took one pill with each meal, until the Google machine suggested that the potency of just one pill (based on the numbers on my pill bottle) may not be strong enough, so I started taking two per meal. A few days after this change (Day 24–25ish), I threw up my dinner and almost threw up my lunch the following day, and I decided to stop taking the enzymes for a while. So yeah, it's now Day 31, I'm momentarily off enzymes; I just finished a weird-lookin' two-day "period"; and I'm experiencing mild crampiness (which I only ever get at the very beginning of my period), midday wooziness, and nausea that's causing me to postpone my lunch until after 2:00pm.

Are these normal symptoms of such an intense dietary change/digestive enzymes? (Please don't tell me I'm pregnant. <_<)

Archived