Acorn Squash

Shawie

• Moderators

My go to for any of the winter squashes is: Preheat oven to about 400ish. Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, coat inside of both halves with some kind of oil, sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, turn it cut side down on a foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet, cook until the outside is brown and it's getting soft. Sometimes at that point I flip them over, turn on the broiler, and let the cut side brown too, but that's optional, and be sure you keep an eye on it if you do -- it'll burn fast if you're not careful. Pull it out of the oven, let it cool until you can handle it, and either cut it in slices, or scoop the inside out of the skin (I don't like the skin, but I've read it's okay to eat it on most squashes). 

To change it up, sometimes I add chili powder to the seasoning, or sometimes instead of the garlic powder and onion powder, I'll do garam masala, Chinese 5 spice, or just some cinnamon and nutmeg. 

• Moderators

I'm going to try SugarcubeOD's recipe, because my usual method of preparing them always makes them really meh.

It's RIDIC yummy!  Slice 1/4 inch and make sure that you're diligent in flipping.  Delicious! 

Good luck.  You'll be addicted!

Archived