Skratch

wycliffe

I know that Skratch does not sound Whole30 compliant, but I have not seen anyone answer definitively one way or another - it has minimal sugar (10-12 grams per serving) and used during my cycling workout.  RxBars have a similar amount of sugar and they are promoted as Whole30 approved.  Can anyone weigh in on this question?  Thanks in advance.

Which of the Skratch products are we talking about?

Is the sugar naturally occuring as it is in the RX Bars (which are for emergency use only by the way)?

Can you post a list of ingredients?

ETA: on their website I found this....

Science

The first ingredient is sugar- what’s up with that?

We have been taught that sugar is bad for us. But if you lead an active lifestyle, sugar is pretty important.

In small amounts during exercise, sugar is absolutely one of the most important and ergogenic* substances out there. Not only is having some calories critical for maintaining blood glucose and exercise performance, a little bit of real sugar paired with sodium significantly enhances the rate of water absorption through the small intestine. This is why clinically based oral rehydration solutions developed by the World Health Organization contain sugar and glucose just like Skratch- it hydrates you better. Which is kind of a good quality to have in a product designed to do just that.

If, like it says here, it contains added sugar AND glucose - this would be out.

Uh oh.  Is there something similar/better than RxBars that can be bought - I don't have time for making things!

Skratch is the exercise hydration mix.  Ingredients are cane sugar (I think I know the answer...), dextrose, sodium citrate, citric acid, magnesium lactate, calcium citrate, lemon juice, lime juice, potassium citrate and ascorbic acid.

• Moderators

Store bought bars and balls and convenience food are really reserved for emergency use and not for planned intake such as pre and post workout.  The recommendation would be to eat real food for all your meals, including pre and post work out.  For pre workout, fat and protein is recommended (think hardboiled egg) and for post, protein and carbs with no fat (think a bite of chicken and sweet potato).

Most people prepare these things during their weekly food prep so it's quick grab and go... not necessarily anything that requires a lot of time and effort to 'make'.  Are you cooking your meals for the duration of your Whole30?

Uh oh.  Is there something similar/better than RxBars that can be bought - I don't have time for making things!

Skratch is the exercise hydration mix.  Ingredients are cane sugar (I think I know the answer...), dextrose, sodium citrate, citric acid, magnesium lactate, calcium citrate, lemon juice, lime juice, potassium citrate and ascorbic acid.

Yep, as suspected both of these ingredients make this off limits during your Whole30.

Sugarcube has specified the pre & post WO recommendations above. What kind of training (duration/distance) are you doing that you need hydration during it?

You might find that you'll struggle with that in the first few weeks as you're body becomes fat adapted, but it will pass, and it will get better, lots better - provided you stick to the pre & postWO guidelines. Using fruit pre WO will only tell your body to continue burning carbs as there are plenty more on the way.

If you really feel the need to hydrate during your cycle you could dilute some coconut water (check that there are no added sugars) in some plain old water, and that should work just as well for you as the hydration mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Skratch products, but I had to give them up during the Whole30 due to sugar being the first ingredient. If you like the lemon/lime Skratch, might I suggest a recipe from the Whole30 cookbook? I can't recall the page # off the top of my head, but it's mineral water, juice of one lime and one lemon, and fresh ginger (I used ground, because I'm lazy). It's SUPER refreshing. If you don't like carbonation on a long ride (I hate the gassy feeling on long rides and runs) then just use chilled water instead of carbonated. This also works for me because my stomach is usually a pulverized mess after running 10+ miles, and the ginger helps keep it calm. 

Archived