New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

Prep is just about complete! I spent a good two hours doing a complete pantry and fridge purge, then off to the grocery store, then home to cook. So far I have: 

Browned ground beef and tomato sauce from W30 book for spaghetti squash & meat sauce

Roasted sweet potatoes

Lightly pickled roasted beets from Nom Nom Paleo website http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4459404121/marinated-roasted-beets

Italian pork roast from The Clothes Make the Girl is in the slow cooker http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/

Broccoli and brussels sprouts for roasting

Cauliflower and carrots for raw snacking

Tuna for tuna salad

Eggs eggs eggs

Two challenges... 1) Couldn't find no-sugar-added Sunbutter to make Sunshine sauce (Amazon Prime here I come), and 2) my mayo wouldn't emulsify :( I ruined two batches and used all my oil, so I'll troubleshoot in the future.

How is everyone else's prep coming?

Kaye - going to check out your blog now :)

Kristy

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I will also be starting on August 10! We spent yesterday meal planning and grocery shopping. Today has been spent doing meal prep for breakfasts, lunches and clarifying butter. The hardest part of this for me will be eating breakfast at 4am. I'm in school and I have 2 more weeks of clinicals for summer term, so my day starts very early. My wife and I both have different forms of arthritis (I have rheumatoid, she has psoriatic) so I think this will be very helpful for both of us! I'm excited to get started!

Shannon

Hi! I am also starting my first Whole30 Monday August 10 (which is now tomorrow). I've done a lot of prepping and planning the last couple of days. My biggest challenges will be stress- my office partner is on vacation for a week and a half, so I'm doing double duty there, and a couple of family gatherings that have recently come up unexpectedly.

- Keep snacks with you.  My favorite is to always have some raw cashews and dates.  You do not need to eat any bars....just get the dates and fruit yourself.  

Actually snacking is discouraged on the Whole30. Meals should be structured according to the meal template and big enough to last 4-5 hours. If you are hungry before that time, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, vegetable (or at least a combination of the two). Then work to structure the next meal bigger to get to the 4-5 hour mark.

Just sharing what I've learned from the moderators here in the forums. :-)

My name is Andy.

I am looking forward to walking the path with all of you who are starting Aug 10.  Looking forward to feeling better around my food and how that affects my body.  

Good luck to everyone!

• Administrators

Two challenges... 1) Couldn't find no-sugar-added Sunbutter to make Sunshine sauce (Amazon Prime here I come)

Use almond butter, way easier to find compliant and makes amazing Sunshine Sauce (I've never used sunbutter for it but would eat the AB version with a spoon!)

For Day 1 breakfast (haven't finished my meal plan or been shopping yet), I made the "Morning Mix" breakfast skillet--what I saw in the book says to just use ground meat (I used pork---I don't like turkey), diced apple, and 1/8 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg. Unfortunately, I found that so bland that I couldn't eat it. So not only did I add salt, I added some bacon to it as well. It's probably going to be an acquired taste (either that, or the apple I used is too tart). Once I'm further into the program and my tastebuds have reset themselves, I might not find it bland the way it's originally written, but adjusting the recipe helped me get off to a good start on Day 1.

Happy first day everyone - 

I am starting up today too. Am really hoping this will be an active group of support. 

For those struggling w/ the black coffee thing - I discovered that iced black coffee really is an easier transition for any of you who also enjoy iced coffee!

While I have frequently had 15-20lbs to lose I am doing this now to help cope with anxiety in a more healthy way. Currently I find I don't even realize I am anxious ... but one week trying not to drink at night really highlighted that for me. I am currently at the peak of a transition period - just moved to new state last month, start new job tomorrow, etc.  I am hoping that while it's a difficult time to start - that Whole30 will help me avoid falling further into a pit of poor coping skills. 

So - while we are all eating healthier (content and context) I am trying to plan for anxious/hard nights and how to unwind after hard days. Please add ideas you think you will be leaning on as distractors or just commiserate with me! 

-go for walks (learning new area)

-knit baby blankets for two friends who are expecting

-study for next licensing exam

-meditate/journal (ohhh so hard when emotions are big)

-color (loving all these adult coloring books out there now)

-podcasts (anyone have fun or inspiring favs?)

Kaye-

I've made multiple versions of "breakfast hash". Here's what I've found helps. Start out by cooking a couple of strips of bacon in your skillet, once it's cooked, remove it to a paper towel to get crispy. You can now use the bacon grease in the pan to sauté the rest of the mix, which helps it taste awesome! Add a little minced onion and your ground meat (I use pork or ground beef, turkey gets too dry). You can season the meat with a breakfast sausage seasoning mix that's homemade. I usually sprinkle on some Italian seasoning or oregano, garlic powder, parika, onion powder and salt. Once that browns, you can add the apple and bacon in and cook until it's all warmed through. If you have the time, you can throw in diced potato/sweet potato with the meat (so it has time to cook), or add spinach at the end so it just wilts. Hope this helps up the flavor for you.

I'm starting August 10th as well! I'm glad to find this online resource, as I find company makes it much easier to stick to a resolution. 

I figure my biggest challenges will be alcohol and dairy. I'm pretty lactose intolerant, but have not let that stop me from enjoying cream in my coffee and cheese on my sandwiches, as long as I have some lactaid nearby!

This might help me break those habits. 

• Administrators

Day One is nearly complete for me. Made a "slight" miscalculation this morning coming off 2 weeks of holidays and got up (and ate breakfast) an hour early. By 10:30am, 5 hours had passed and lunch was still 90 minutes away. And I don't carry emergency food anymore as I got cocky and figured it's all old hat. Ha.

Had a great chat with my assistant and got all caught up on the goings on while drinking a big bottle of water and before I knew it, lunchtime! Phew! Came home and soft boiled a couple eggs for "just in case". ;)

I started yesterday, and realized I am going to need to eat MUCH bigger meals than I'd thought and rely less on greens and "salad like" sandwich replacements for chicken salad and what not. I also realized I need to get over the impulse to cut out fatty foods and pile it on. I was starving between meals both days and had to snack. I also realized that I have been so worried about what I am supposed to be eating that I was thinking about food all the time. So, I've ordered the book to help me with recipes plus give me a fuller picture of how this all works. i have never really thought or cared about nutrition before, so I have a lot to learn! 

The cravings are already intense if I come into contact with people enjoying "normal" foods, but I know it will get better. I can already breathe a bit better!

I've been using sweet potatoes and rosemary along with turkey, onion, and spinach in breakfast hash. The rosemary is so powerful it really makes it very flavorful. 

Hope everyone is feeling okay and proud of themselves for making it through day one! 

Started round 2 today. Booze. Gonna be my main issue, it's how I socialize. And also why I'm doing round two - to force myself to find other ways to do so. That and portion control. I'm pretty active but still need to cut portions. So. Enjoyed ready everyone's stories so far, welcome first timers! It's hard, but incredibly rewarding (and only 30 days!)

I think I'll jump in with you all! I did my first whole30 (autoimmune protocol) in January and it was amazing for the habits and good health created. I have been a lurker on the forum and want to participate this time!! It just happened that my intake was 100% compliant Monday so I'm on track. I like breakfast skillet with ground meat (pork or turkey), onion, apple, sweet potato and a handful of tart berries thrown in at the end. Lingonberries (aka low bush cranberry in Alaska) are my choice but regular cranberries would do the trick.

Guest unknown

Aloha,

Like you folks, I started Whole30 (my first one) on Aug 10th. Spent a lot of time shopping and prepping on Sunday. Groceries are very expensive here in Hawai'i so I need to plan extra carefully. The upside is that fruits and veggies are always available and fresh at the Farmer's Markets. I look forward to seeing the benefits unfold as the days go by, particularly slaying my sugar dragon! And to having a support system here online.

Hello!! I started my first Whole30 on August 10th as well. I've tried to start multiple other times, but this time I'm sticking to my guns!

Good luck to you! I'll be interested in comparing stories of what we're feeling and experiencing from day to day.

Kara

I am starting today, the 9th for the first time. I've been eating paleo for a few days first, but going all in giving up honey and dark chocolate because I am a sugar monster. Prior to a few days ago, I've lived off of junk food for my entire 37 years of life. I've been suffering from chronic sinusitis, fatigue, and weight gain for the last 3 years. and hope this will help me identify some diet-related causes. 

The toughest things for me to kick will be:

Sugar!!!

Cheese, which is one of my favorite foods. 

Bread. 

BOOZE. I have no idea how I will socialize doing this. 

I threw out everything in the kitchen, and am ready to go. I'm new so I don't have many tips, but I have already figure out that, like everyone here is saying, PLANNING IS EVERYTHING. If I get too hungry without anything prepared, I lapse into binge eating cashew butter and apples, and start to crave nasty foods big time. I've also figure out that given the produce and fresh meat requirements, I can no longer do weekly shopping, but need to go to the market every few days to have the freshest ingredients. 

Good luck to everyone. WE CAN DO IT.

Started round 2 today. Booze. Gonna be my main issue, it's how I socialize. And also why I'm doing round two - to force myself to find other ways to do so. That and portion control. I'm pretty active but still need to cut portions. So. Enjoyed ready everyone's stories so far, welcome first timers! It's hard, but incredibly rewarding (and only 30 days!)

Prep is just about complete! I spent a good two hours doing a complete pantry and fridge purge, then off to the grocery store, then home to cook. So far I have: 

Browned ground beef and tomato sauce from W30 book for spaghetti squash & meat sauce

Roasted sweet potatoes

Lightly pickled roasted beets from Nom Nom Paleo website http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4459404121/marinated-roasted-beets

Italian pork roast from The Clothes Make the Girl is in the slow cooker http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/

Broccoli and brussels sprouts for roasting

Cauliflower and carrots for raw snacking

Tuna for tuna salad

Eggs eggs eggs

Two challenges... 1) Couldn't find no-sugar-added Sunbutter to make Sunshine sauce (Amazon Prime here I come), and 2) my mayo wouldn't emulsify :( I ruined two batches and used all my oil, so I'll troubleshoot in the future.

How is everyone else's prep coming?

Kaye - going to check out your blog now :)

Kristy

Archived