New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

• Administrators

Really excellent job, Rfischer, I second Chris!!! And good on the label reading, even in an emergency! I've said this in other threads but I used to take what I called my Emergency Egg and my Panic Apple to work with me every Monday and leave them in the fridge. Nearly 100% of the time by Friday they were still uneaten but they were there to save my sugar-free-bacon if I needed them. Having a compliant emergency stand in that is actually good for you is the difference between you going onto Day 4 tomorrow happy and successful and having to contemplate starting over.

My Day 3 was not noteworthy. It's a billion degrees here, I have a nagging moderate headache, my period is arriving any day now, I'm exhausted and darned crabby. Will eat "scraps" for dinner and then go and lay in bed and read my book and pretend that no one and nothing exists.

M1: 2 chicken thighs, 3+ cups peppers, onions, snow peas, zucchini, green beans all sauteed together. Shy half avocado, coffee w/coconut milk & gelatin

M2: small portion curry fm last night, 1 generous cup green goddess cauliflower, 1 generous cup zuke soup, can of sardines w/ hot sauce

M3: more green cauli, 2 Jamie Oliver sausages, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, olives stuffed with garlic, half an envy apple

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!  I started the Whole30 on August 10th as well.  This will be my first time.  

Haven't had much of a headache yet, but I feel very tired today.

I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old, and I am having a hard time sitting down and eating at the right time (i.e. within 4-5 hours.)  I also never realized how easy it is to pop a bite of this or that in your mouth when you are preparing meals for your kids.  I find that I really need to watch myself.

Today I had Brussel Sprouts Hash with Egg this morning, which was delicious.  I saved the leftovers and will cook an egg on it for the next two days.  

Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing.

My day 3 today went good at work. I got home very tired but I ate a bowl of grapes while driving so that gave me a boost. I haven't had a headache yet but I have not been sleeping very good so far (3-4 hours, wake up, maybe fall back to sleep for another few hours). It is a real challenge going shopping for all these fruits and veggies!

Day 3 and not hungry --- normally this would be awesome, but know I need to eat on this. I forced down one egg and some leftover roasted potatoes this morning (with roasted red pepper sauce!) but struggling to eat for lunch. I have my first social outing (baseball game - beer!!!) this evening so anxious I will suddenly become ravenous there. Going for a walk to try to drum up some appetite. I do prefer this to the headaches, etc but feel that will all come with time still. Anyone else experiencing decrease in appetite at this point?

I have the same issue with decreased appetite this time and last whole30 I did as well. I especially have difficulty eating within an hour of waking (always, whole30 or not) but I try to make myself stick to the template. Today I ate salmon (that I caught myself!), sweet potatoes fried in coconut oil, and a medley of farmer market vegetables for breakfast and I was good with having black coffee when my unit went out for an early work lunch. Then I didn't eat lunch till after 2 so now I'm struggling to eat dinner in a timely fashion. Summer in the land of the midnight sun throws quite a curve ball. Dinner tends to get later and later as the days get longer. We're headed back the other way now but sunset is still around 10:30. Anyway, last time I found my groove after a week or so. By sticking to the plan as best I could I started to be hungry every 5 hours or so.

• Administrators

Once you press the "Quote" button, the person's response appears in your reply box. You can remove as much or as little of their response as you like and then type yours. If you are on a mobile device, type your reply after the last word "

"

Wow! Had a very hard Day 3, but I'm happy with myself for getting through it without going off plan. It just goes to show that planning is everything. I also learned what "Epic bars are for emergency food" truly means.

My day was way more busy than I had even imagined, and by lunchtime I knew I was going to need to stay later than I had thought. Then I went to start my lunch and realized that I had left the container with my coleslaw sitting on the kitchen counter!!! That meant I had no veggies and no fat (the dressing on the coleslaw). I did have an Epic bar in my desk for an emergency. The only other things in the office were a huge container of pretzels someone had left in the break room for all to share (No Thanks) and a coworker offered me some trail mix. At first it looked like a good option, just nuts and seeds, but reading the label revealed soy and canola oils, and added sugar. So no. Knowing I would be stuck there late I ate what I still had for lunch and saved the Epic bar for late afternoon. For all the talk on the forums about how much trouble bars can be, that bar truly got me through today.

Good work! I went on an all day hiking adventure today and got in an emergency, too. I planned ahead to take lunch and some jerky and nuts for a snack stop mid-hike, but didn't think about post-hike bit to help me make it home (2 hours way) before dinner. I was ravenous by the time we got out of the woods with nothing to eat. I managed to make it through the park snack bar, which featured a homemade fudge shop, and to the gas station only to find I could eat exactly one item in the store—some cashews with salt. I was frantically reading labels at that point and just grabbed them and ran before I broke down. I will definitely be stocking up on emergency bars tomorrow and rethinking how much I need to make it through a long day of hiking. Lunch should have been more substantial. Still, I am proud I passed a huge test staring at all that fudge. 

Good work today, everyone! 

Guest unknown

Day 3 and not hungry --- normally this would be awesome, but know I need to eat on this. I forced down one egg and some leftover roasted potatoes this morning (with roasted red pepper sauce!) but struggling to eat for lunch. I have my first social outing (baseball game - beer!!!) this evening so anxious I will suddenly become ravenous there. Going for a walk to try to drum up some appetite. I do prefer this to the headaches, etc but feel that will all come with time still. Anyone else experiencing decrease in appetite at this point? 

Yes, and all I did was work out today to keep me from eating sugar. I did stick to the plan and "made" myself eat. I did make a late dinner that was great: mahi fillet baked with lemon and pepper, and shredded zucchini with tomato paste spicy sauce and other veggies.

Kudos to all so far!

I should probably know this, but is Advil frowned upon for the early day headaches? I drink a gallon of water a day as is so looking for another solution for relief...other than grin and bear it!

Awesome job to you guys with emergency situations!! It's too bad we all don't live close, we could have our own social outing...with veggies and sparkly water:)

I should probably know this, but is Advil frowned upon for the early day headaches? I drink a gallon of water a day as is so looking for another solution for relief...other than grin and bear it!

Awesome job to you guys with emergency situations!! It's too bad we all don't live close, we could have our own social outing...with veggies and sparkly water:)

We don't want you to be in pain, so yes, take the advil for some immediate relief - although something like Tylenol might be better as it will have less of an impact on your stomach. In the longer term you may find that a fist sized serving of starchy veg a day if you're not already including it will help, as will increasing your fat.

If you'd like some feedback on your meals feel free to post a few days worth to check that you're on the right track.

Entering day 4! Woot woot!! Meal 1 was some roasted diced potatoes, a few mini egg cups with complaint sausage and veggies inside, 1/4 avocado and a few splashes of compliant hot sauce. My coworkers were oohing and aahing over my "immaculate breakfast" hahah!

I will say I feel really good, minus some bathroom issues (I'll spare the details!). I've been sleeping like a rock the last 4 days, and I'm convinced it's from thinking about food all day--wipes me out! I woke up this morning on time and had even forgotten to set my alarm! And usually I lie to myself and say that I can sleep a little longer, but not today--just popped right out of bed. Am I feeling Tiger Blood early?!?!!? 

I was pretty impressed with my dinner last night, I even had to Instagram it....apple chicken burgers with sweet potato buns, jazzed with homemade mayo & kale mix, served with sauteed mixed veggies and a clementine. Even the hubby approved, wow! 

We made some BBQ sauce from "It Starts With Food", to be put in the crockpot today with some spare ribs. Will have that with sweet potatoes and grilled zucchini for dinner tonight. I hope it turns out good, I'm so used to sugary sweet BBQ!!!

Loving this forum to follow along with other people on the same crazy train! Thanks for all the posts, great to read! 

I was pretty impressed with my dinner last night, I even had to Instagram it....apple chicken burgers with sweet potato buns, jazzed with homemade mayo & kale mix, served with sauteed mixed veggies and a clementine. Even the hubby approved, wow! 

Love that you "even had to Instagram it" - that's when you know things are good:) Did you immersion blender or food processor? I don't make mayo often (because I'm not patient enough to pour slowly in food processor) - but I'm debating the blender...just for mayo...any thoughts? 

Love that you "even had to Instagram it" - that's when you know things are good:) Did you immersion blender or food processor? I don't make mayo often (because I'm not patient enough to pour slowly in food processor) - but I'm debating the blender...just for mayo...any thoughts? 

Yes, that is so true!! If it's IG-worthy, you know you had success!! hahah!!! I used a food processor. First attempt failed. Second attempt + more patience = SUCCESS! I think I used the recipe from The Clothes Make The Girl blog (if I remember correctly?). I did that one because a coworker had success with it. I have yet to attempt ranch (SCARY!). I also made my own Italian dressing last night, also with the food processor. I don't own any type of blender, but have been eyeballing an immersion one. Do you love yours? I feel like it's hard to justify purchasing one when eating clean is costly enough as it is.....

I don't own any type of blender, but have been eyeballing an immersion one. Do you love yours? I feel like it's hard to justify purchasing one when eating clean is costly enough as it is.....

I love my immersion blender. Bought it during my first Whole30 2+ years ago. Worth every penny.

This is the one I own. 

• Administrators

If someone made me choose between my immersion blender and my food processor, the immersion blender would win every time. Definitely worth it. I have a Kitchen Aid.

Fully agree!  I have an el-cheapo one that is on its last legs so I ordered a new better one from Airmiles Rewards and it should be here Monday.  I would hand over my Kitchenaid Pro FP before I handed over even my cheap-ass stick blender!

• Administrators

Day Four - feeling better than yesterday, that sucked quite a bit.

Going to go home and make chicken liver pate for the first time, I'm kind of excited about it!

M1: 2 chk thighs, 2 cups mixed peppers, onions, zuke, snow peas, half avocado, coffee w/ coconut milk & gelatin

M2: scoop leftover pork curry (a scant cup) and about a cup of green cauli rice, half avocado, one hard boiled egg

M3: pate on apple slices?  Fine....that's a terrible dinner.  Probably pork chop and some coleslaw.  

Day Four - feeling better than yesterday, that sucked quite a bit.

Going to go home and make chicken liver pate for the first time, I'm kind of excited about it!

M1: 2 chk thighs, 2 cups mixed peppers, onions, zuke, snow peas, half avocado, coffee w/ coconut milk & gelatin

M2: scoop leftover pork curry (a scant cup) and about a cup of green cauli rice, half avocado, one hard boiled egg

M3: pate on apple slices?  Fine....that's a terrible dinner.  Probably pork chop and some coleslaw.  

Really?  :blink: 

Let me know how your pate goes - I'm planning on making some myself over the weekend for the first time & trying to think of a nice chutney type sauce to go with it on some lettuce leaves along with mayo..........  :wub:

• Administrators

Really?  :blink: 

Let me know how your pate goes - I'm planning on making some myself over the weekend for the first time & trying to think of a nice chutney type sauce to go with it on some lettuce leaves along with mayo..........  :wub:

YES!  The apple slices weirded me out too but there is apple IN the pate and she goes on and on and ON about how good the pate is on apple slices so I bought apples.  But then I ate one last night after dinner.  And got bloated.  Then I remembered I haven't eaten fruit in MONTHS.  Now I think I shall reconsider the apple slices.  ;)

Hi Everyone - I am new. Just started my first Whole30 on August 10th.

About 2.5 years ago I did an elimination after being told by my doctor that the amount of pain I was experiencing was NOT NORMAL. She wanted to test me for Rheumatoid Arthritis, which she did, but the test came back negative. However, she was quick to point out that alone doesn't mean I don't have it. So I continued on with managing my pain and doing physical therapy until I read an OpEd in the New York Times about a woman who was successfully treating her son's juvenile arthritis by eliminating certain foods (like Gluten and Dairy). She talked about leaky gut and other autoimmune responses. After some research I decided I ought to try it. I embarked on my elimination diet and ultimately ended up permanently cutting gluten, dairy, and soy out of my diet. Life changing. No more pain.

Over the last year I have gotten sloppier with my eating habits. A lot more dairy has crept in. Soy from time to time, which definitely is an irritant. There were two nights at a Japanese restaurant in December with much gluten involved that took me a month to recover from. I've also found myself drinking alcohol much more often. Plus consuming lots of "healthy sweets" which is I realize was becoming a problem. Coconut Bliss is not dinner. (Except it sometimes has been for me recently.)

I am embarking on the Whole30 to do a bit of a reset for myself. The Whole30 is quite a bit different from the elimination diet I did way back. With that I was still eating grains and legumes. I wanted to try this and see how it feels.

I have recently started running again for the first time in many years. I LOVE running. And I really want to make sure that I am eating in a way that will support my continued good health and allow me to keep it up without pain. I also know that heading into fall and winter, this is the time last year when I got off the rails with my healthy eating habits. So I want to start things out right. I won't be sad to lose some weight, either, if that should happen. ;)

The end of day 4 and still no headaches. I am not as tired tonight as I was yesterday. Tonights crock pot meal turned out AWESOME!!! Bok choy, regular cabbage, tomatoes, white potatoes, carrots, onions, cilantro, basil, sausage, chicken, chicken stock, water, salt, pepper, and hot sauce to kick it up a notch. Tons of flavors, lots of color, great variety of textures, and super filling. I have enough for at least 6 more meals...LOL

YES!  The apple slices weirded me out too but there is apple IN the pate and she goes on and on and ON about how good the pate is on apple slices so I bought apples.  But then I ate one last night after dinner.  And got bloated.  Then I remembered I haven't eaten fruit in MONTHS.  Now I think I shall reconsider the apple slices.   ;)

Ah, is this The Healthy Foodies recipe? I did look at that one but she lost me when she started talking about sieving through a fine mesh she lost me, although I guess that stage isn't completely necessary...

Good morning fellow whole30-ers! I love checking these posts to see how everyone did in the last day. I went to bed with a headache, and then I had a dream (nightmare) that I accidentally ate a piece of sugary cinnamon bread at a party! AHHHH!!! Needless to say, I woke up feeling a little less rested than the last few days because I don't think my sleep was peaceful. 

Anybody else noticing their fingernails growing like crazy? My husband asked me to scratch his back last night and he was like "whoa, where did those come from?!?!". Amazing what just 4 days can do! 

M1 today: hard boiled egg, a few stalks of leftover asparagus from dinner, some roasted potatoes also leftover, some avocado and hot sauce. 

M2 today: tuna salad (with celery, onion, pickle topped with tomato) served in lettuce cups, an apple or clementine

M3 today: meat and veggie marinara sauce atop zoodles

Anybody else a little nervous for their first weekend....when you'll be near the fridge more frequently and not at work, out of food & temptation's way??

Archived