Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Good day all,

Just wanted to maybe start a post for those people who will be starting a Whole30 on September 1.

Also, if anyone wants to post recipe ideas, that would be awesome or tips on how you were successful!

Cheers,

Jessica

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My tips are as follows!

• PREPARE food for the week such as protein you can build meals around (I would do up taco meat, chicken breasts, pork, etc... then toss raw or cooked veggies with and my fats for easy peasy simplistic meals that met the template!)
  • Figure out your favorite fat sources and have those on hand to add to each meal (for me that was avocado, black olives, green olives to always add to my meals on top of any cooking fats I used (I usually used ghee or coconut oil for cooking)
  • Don't get caught up in preparing all sorts of new meals as this can get overwhelming and expensive, instead focus on simple and then try maybe just a couple new recipes a week as desired
  • Expect to pop to the store at least once a week if not two or three times....
  • Don't be scared to EAT big meals (but make sure bulk of it is veggies), this helps with limiting snacking between and your body will start telling you when enough is enough I promise!

Good luck! I am considering doing my official second whole30 in September. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to start my second Whole30 on Sept 1st, so count me in! (@edgy mama, I hope you join in too!) Did the first one in June, spent the last 2 months carefully and g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y reintroducing things... ready to get back to the regular program to "reset" my circuits and return to the meal template... my snack dragon really wanted to come back to life this month!

It will be nice to have company on the journey. : )

I'm with you starting on September 1st!  It will be my first.  I've been doing my reading and research and getting meal ideas organized.  I recently lost 17 lbs doing the Ideal Protein plan, which was nice to lose the weight, but I want REAL FOOD!  Looking forward to the journey!

Hi All.

I've been paleo for several years although this will be my first whole30. I'm looking for some good people to support and be supported by on this journey! A reset is good. I've got Well Fed 2 (which has inspired this whole30). Let's do this!!!

I'm with you!

The husband and I are starting on Sept 1 too. It's his first, and my second... attempt. I got two weeks into one two years ago, and fell off the wagon. I'm hoping that both of us doing it, and having support here, will help me get through all 30 days this time.

Hi all! I'm technically starting August 30, but will join all of you so that I have company on the journey. I've thought about going Paleo for a long time now, but resisted because...well, I'm not sure why, I just did. Then I talked with someone from work who's done it (eaten Paleo for a long time, and done a Whole30 twice) and she's had such a good result. I'm committed to this now, and am looking forward to the journey and even all of the challenges involved. I've heard the daily emails are a bargain at $15. Anybody thinking of signing up for them? I might--the more support, the better!

Hello! I am starting Sept 1st. This will be my second Whole 30, I've been primarily Paleo for three years but I find I need to tighten up on my day to day meal guidelines every now and again.  I'm actually looking forward to it because I know how good I feel when I do it. @NancyW, I did the emails when I did my first Whole30 and found them very helpful and encouraging. 

I am starting my second Whole 30 on September 1st also! I did the first one just this past July, but then went on vacation and did not gradually reintroduce anything. I didn't go into a total tailspin, but I definitely need to find my way...again. I did not lose much weight in July, but I felt amazing and that is bringing me back.

Hello All, I'm going to be tagging along in September as well...this will be my second Whole30.  I was in the same group with Vozelle in June and we had a blast!  At least that's the way I remember it now.  ;)  I went on to do what I've called a Hole60 by doing all compliant ingredients in July as well, but leaked in a few non-compliant intention items like banana "ice cream" and coconut flour waffles.  In August I've started to add back a few non-compliant ingredients as well, but I've not entirely completed my reintroductions.  I'm looking forward to the structure again, and will try to do different reintroductions in October.  Primarily I want to get myself as grounded as possible before the holiday season begins which for me starts as soon as they begin adding pumpkin to everything.  In other words, probably tomorrow. 

I think edgymama had some great tips, I can't think of too much to add to that, but I will share with those of you starting this for the first time that my worst day was the Saturday before I started when I was trying to do all of the shopping and meal prep and was alternately TOTALLY overwhelmed and excited and while I knew I could do this I was also entirely sure I would fail.  If you find yourself feeling that way and considering throwing in the towel before you start, just don't.  It will get easier. 

If you are planning this far ahead, you have the time to devote to doing some extra research and preparation so take advantage of it.  Don't skip coming up with some lazy/crazy night meals for those days when everything goes wrong and you need to end your day without a lot of thought or effort.  Don't skip coming up with some emergency meals on the go either.  I spent the entire weekend before my first Whole30 prepping food and packing, and then walked right out the door on Day 1 without it.  Having to scramble and forage a local grocery on my lunch break was NOT a great start! 

Also, if you aren't planning or able to do a full pantry cleanse, I do suggest taking some time to pull out some staples and check them over carefully.  I started a small basket on my kitchen counter to hold spices and seasonings that were compliant and some of the new ingredients and oils I had bought so I knew my good stuff was close to hand and I didn't need to search the cupboards for anything.  I nearly missed the fact that the roasted cashews I always had on hand were roasted in PEANUT oil, that still seems mildly cannibalistic to me for some reason.  Sometimes it's the most benign things you take for granted that trip you up.  Read the labels on EVERYTHING, even stuff you don't expect to have an ingredient list. 

I also invested in the emails and found that checking in on the forum everyday did more for my accountability than checking in on the email...but they became a strong way to start my morning and the "treats" at the end of each day were entertaining.  I did find myself rolling my eyes a bit towards the end when it seemed like it was Day 19: Change the Way You Sleep, Day 20: Switch to All New Household Cleaners, Day 21: Become an Exercise Fanatic, Day 22:  World Peace!  But they are crammed with tons of good tips and links and resources to learn even more about ways to improve your health and outlook on life so I only poke fun in love. 

Now off to brainstorm on how I'm going to kick it up a notch this go-round.  I promise to come up with something so I'm suffering just as much as those of you doing this the first time...which means this is probably going to involve either water or ::shudder:: exercise. 

@Vozelle...you too girl, no cake walks, how are we digging deeper this time?  :blink:

While I originally planned to start on Aug 30, I think I will go with a start date of Sept 1. That way, I'm on the same track as the rest of the group. So nice to have all the company, and a bonus to have some experienced whole30-ers to offer their experience and ideas. I'll be making some grocery and recipe lists this weekend and can maybe do some prep this week, as I will be gone most of the weekend before we start. Can't wait!  :P

I'm a little concerned too, because not only do I use stevia, but cream as well. I'm going to have to start using coconut milk instead.

I use cream in my coffee as well. I guess it'll be black or coconut milk for 30 days. We'll see what happens after that...

I'd love to join all of you for a September 1 start date. I purchased both books for my Kindle and have read them both. I cut out sweetener in my coffee last week and this week the cream will go. I always drank my coffee black until 6 or 7 years ago and for the life of me I can't remember why I started using it. This week I'll be planning my menu for the first week and my grocery list and shopping and getting some prep done. I'm retired (74 years young) so I have plenty of time to fix meals. I do water aerobics 5 days a week, yoga 3 days, and senior power lifting 2 days a week at the Y so I need to have things ready for breakfast. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and doing this together!

I was going to start on the 1st but I'm a teacher and that's the day we go back. I think the combination of starting work after 6 weeks off and starting a new 'diet' would be too hard to balance. So rather than pushing my date back I'm going to start a week early and am going to start on Tuesday. I've spent this week prepping and trying out some if the recipes which has got me excited, hubby has enjoyed what I've been cooking too which will hopefully get him on board.

Good luck everyone

My husband and I are starting Whole 30 today, August 23, wish us luck.  I have bought and read most of the books and really want to change our lives and be healthy.  I know it won't be easy, but nothing worth doing is easy but when we finish we will feel great physically and emotionally. 

Archived