Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Hi again team 9/1.... As I mentioned before I completed a whole 30 last September, 2014. Here are some of my tips.

Dinners - make enough for at least 4 meals. Sometime I did even more.... You will see why.... I had two "go to" favorites I used for at least two meals a week each. That is 4 dinners! I did not get tired of them. One was a turkey "pasta" sauce that I used over my most favorite veggie - the spaghetti squash! I will post the recipe soon. The other was chicken stir fry in olive oil (chicken with every veggie I had in the fridge that frys well). At the end, I could split and add a little stir fry sauce for my hubby. He doesn't eat many carbs but won't go whole 30 all the way!

Lunches - leftover dinner!! Or my other favorites, compliant sausage and peppers, onions... Also chicken salad with whole30 "mayo" over huge amount of greens and avacado. I probably ate almost one avacado a day.... Buy them ahead in case they need to ripen.

Breakfast - I have to admit I do not get tired of eggs. At least five days a week I would have a 3 egg omelette, with many, many veggies,cooked in ghee. Maybe a small smount of fruit...Other days? Yes, leftover dinner works just fine!!

I did not attempt exotic recipes, it just made life easier for me. I shopped about every 3rd day, but just made easy recipes. Add some garlic, compliant spices, and the taste was there.

I play a lot of tennis, and work out other ways a lot. I had to supplement sometimes with a banana and almond butter, or a protein and fat, or a protein and starch (usually a little sweet potato). My workout schedule doesn't always coincide totally with the 3 meal rule, I had to have a small 4th mini meal once in a while. My go to emergency was a cashew and date Lara Bar, but only a few times.

I am sending in my order today to Vitacost - I get my ghee, almond butter, coconut milk for coffee, coconut aminos, olive oil, etc there. Good delivery timing. Shipping free if you order enough. Making ghee is just not where I want to spend my time....

We eat out 3 times a week. Didn't bother me... Talk to the server, or if you aren't sure about the servers knowledge, ask to talk to the chef.... My go tos: steamed shrimp over salad with olive oil and lemon on the side. Ask the server about every single ingredient in the salad. One time I had to send a salad back because they didn't list the cheese on the menu!! Naked fish or steak or chicken (they will do it for you at most restaurants) baked potato or sweet potato, naked salad with olive oil, lemon. Often they can do a naked steamed veggie if you ask. One time the chef came out and asked if I wanted some green beans in olive oil (yeahhhhh!) that wasn't on the menu. Call ahead of time if you aren't sure about the restaurant, helps you feel better at the table if you are with a group.

Going to friends homes? talk to them ahead of time. This time will be easy, mine already know what to expect. I brought my own food at times, if they know the reason they won't be offended. And they can leave your protein out of the sauce or whatever if they know ahead.....

Have a bunch of both short and medium length tasks you want to get done, takes mind off food!

Check in with your group once a day at least - helps your spirit! Ours had a facebook page, but this forum and this thread will be just fine.

I went through a lot of seltzer with lemon, lime, orange slices - my mocktail of choice. (Also cucumber, better than it sounds).

Check your supplements now, many are not compliant. I did find other brands when I finally spent some time in the drugstore.

That's all for now, more as I think of it, will get a couple of recipes together....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have spent the last couple of days trying to talk myself out of ducking out before I even start. I have been in bad pain all day and have been comfort eating- nothing bad but sandwich at lunch rather than salad and yes thanks to the scone my boss slathered in jam and cream and gave to me. (I have clicky hip and am desperately trying not to have a replacement until I'm at least 50- only 14 years to go!) 

Anyway- I remember how positive I felt during June and I am determined to get back to that, this time I will make sure I keep a journal and once the pain subsides (I think gluten doesn't help with the inflammation) I will start exercising again. Oh, and I'll be a lot more careful with the reintroduction!!

It's great for me that the 1st is Tuesday as Monday is Bank Holiday in the UK so I will have a day to get prepared. :-)

I play a lot of tennis, and work out other ways a lot. I had to supplement sometimes with a banana and almond butter, or a protein and fat, or a protein and starch (usually a little sweet potato). My workout schedule doesn't always coincide totally with the 3 meal rule, I had to have a small 4th mini meal once in a while. My go to emergency was a cashew and date Lara Bar, but only a few times.

Some good advice there DeIJan but I'd just comment for everyone else's benefit that fruit is not recommended for either pre or post WO as it replaces liver glycogen which you will not want to do to in order to become fat adapted.

PreWO aim for a lean protein & fat - think hard boiled egg, or some chicken & guac/mayo/olives.

PostWO aim for a lean protein & optional starchy carb - chicken & sweet potato is the favourite here.

Larabars (& any other kind of fruit & nut bar) are for emergency use only - and by emergency we mean you've fallen off a cliff, your foot is trapped in the rocks, and after 8hrs of awaiting rescue chewing your foot off seems like a reasonable option type of emergency... ;) 

Remember, if you can plan for an emergency you can plan to have proper food.

Yes, I'm starting my 3rd #Whole30 on the first as well. I'm confident in my ability to see it through, but will need extra support when it comes to reintro -- I tend to turn a "slow roll" into a "snowball" and so I never see clear results. 

Also, I started reintro after my last #Whole30, even though my digestion still needed more healing...

I'd like to join in for support but I'm starting on the 2nd as I'm currently on holidays and need a day when I get back to do groceries. I've just been through a bad period after my precious dog went missing and hasn't been seen since. Unfortunately my paleo diet and exercise regime have gone as well.

This holiday was just what I needed to get out of the funk I was in and I really need to get back to a heathy active lifestyle. I did have some good meals and broth already in the freezer at home but the house sitter turned off the chest freezer by mistake and it's all spoiled, it will take a while to build the stock back up.

Good luck all

Hi Team 9/1, my son Zachary and I are also starting Sept. 1. This will be my second, my first was a w45 in January 2015. With 2 false starts in July and August. I'd love to follow along with all of you. My activities ( kickboxing, taekwondo, and some Zumba) also start back up in Sept. So there is my exercise, plus I work on a horse farm a couple hours a day.

My hubby and I will join you. This is our second go at it. The first time was amazing, I lost 13 pounds, and gained lots of energy, he lost 12 pounds and the belly he's been trying to lose for years. Funny how all those sit-ups, stairs and walking didn't make that belly budge but eating the right foods the right way made it disappear.

I'm excited to be doing my first Whole30 with my sister starting Sept1! We are both newbies! Got the whole30 book and nom nom paleo cookbook and can't wait to start prepping this weekend. Only question I have - looks like the coconut aminos that every uses contains 1g of sugar - how is that Whole30 compliant?

I'm excited to be doing my first Whole30 with my sister starting Sept1! We are both newbies! Got the whole30 book and nom nom paleo cookbook and can't wait to start prepping this weekend. Only question I have - looks like the coconut aminos that every uses contains 1g of sugar - how is that Whole30 compliant?

On a Whole30, what to look at is the *list of ingredients* for compliance. If that list does not contain any off-plan items, you're good to go.

In the specific example you cited, that 1g of sugar is naturally occurring sugar from the coconut. Naturally occuring sugar in food is fine. What is off-limits is *added* sugar, which, if present, would be in the ingredients list.

Hi all,

So yesterday was Day 1 for me. I feel so relieved that I will start to feel better soon... Without wine after work last night I slept actually! Amen for small miracles. If anyone is interested, this is what I ate yesterday:

M1: over easy eggs with half an avocado and leftover citrus Cauli rice, coffee w/ frothed coconut milk, handful of berries, kombucha

M2: banana and a few macadamia nuts

M3: left over pot roast, carrots, onions, half a potato

M4: hamburger lettuce wrap w/ homemade mayo, tomato, onion, pickle, sweet potatoes roasted, pineapple

I was so hungry yesterday, I felt like I could've eaten everything. I blame this on eating nothing but off-plan foods and wine the day before as a last hurrah. Not a good idea. I really tried to fill up on nutritious foods yesterday and feel better today for it. I also had a mug of warm decaf coffee with frothed coconut milk after supper and it felt like such a rich treat. I have missed eating this way!

Michelle

I'm in, and looking forward to the point in W30 where my energy gets a boost. A little concerned though because the more I read, the more unprepared I feel, so I'll be leaning on the forums for support.

Here we go!

I am IN!!!!  I am so looking forward to this. I've done paleo before but it has been well over a year since I stopped. I have been doing Crossfit for the past 3 years, but due to an injury I've been out of it for a few months now. That injury has resulted in little activity and as a result the weight has climbed higher and higher. Also, I'm writing a dissertation and spend far, far too many hours sitting in front of a computer. Time to jump start things. I've noticed over the months of inactivity and poor diet, that I have no energy. I come home from work exhausted and just want to nap. I hate that feeling. Time to change things up. I was considering starting Whole 30 on Monday, but when I saw this thread I decided to wait until Tuesday and start with you folks. I look forward to the coming month and the support. Now, I'm off to Costco to stock up on veggies :)

Hei!

So happy to find so many others starting September 1st! I'm in!

I've just spent the last 4 weeks on another regemin (from my doc) to heal my gut. So I've already been eliminating all of my known allergens (including gluten and dairy). For me, this is just the next step.

Yes, I'm in for my very first Whole 30 on September 1!

About a year and a half ago my body had just had enough of the way I was eating. I cleaned up my diet a lot - not in any formal way - mostly I just ate things that felt good. I lost that twenty pounds I'd been trying to wish away for years, and felt better than I had in a long time. Of course, over time things have slipped, some of the weight is back, my joints are complaining...

So it's time for me to try something really clear and organized - the sort of thing that works for me. So here I go!

Hi! I'm in for the September 1 start date..."30 days hath September..." I've been preparing. Reading all I can and made the BBQ sauce today. Also clarified some butter (interesting and pretty easy) and roasted some garlic (for the BBQ sauce and some extra too). I love to cook and I love food. I've started drinking my coffee without cream. That's a biggie for me! Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with so many others!

This is my first W30 and I Would love to join in ! I've prepped food all day and been pretty much compliant all day. ( used olive oil spray not looking that it had soy lecithin ) so I am planning on starting tomorrow a bit ahead of you all but really need the support. My job is a demo planner for Trader Joes so I have non compliant food in front of me ALL. DAY. LONG! Somebody zip tie my mouth !!

I am very motivated to do this as the visit to the doc showed elevated BP and a bum knee from being too heavy. Not fun to see obese and hypertensive on paper work! This isn't a diet for me it's a whole re- thinking and re- programming! Looking forward to all of our success!

I'm doing my FIRST EVER Whole30 starting August 31st but that's awfully close to September 1st so would love to check in with the September crew and hold one another accountable. I know that I'm going to need it. Feeling pretty anxious about taking the leap but I know that it will be a positive in the end, just dreading the first week to week and half of detoxing physically and mentally! Here's to all that we have to GAIN through this experience!  :)

Hi, I'm joining you all on sept 1st. So glad to have company. It will be my first whole 30, Yesterday I have done a pantry cleanse and will take your advice to keep meals simple. I did find the 7day plan overwhelming with so many new recipes. My other weakness will be having to do the whole30 while cooking non-whole30 for hubby and 3 kids!!

Archived